Alabama's Miller did we not try to sign him

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

janvandy66
Ensign

Alabama's Miller did we not try to sign him

Post by janvandy66 »

He is from Nashville and we did not sign him, another great player to leave our town and not play for us. That is why we are not in the top 25 and Alabama is no. 4. Anyway I am proud of how we did fight to stay in the game even without L.R..

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Re: Alabama's Miller did we not try to sign him

Post by Vandy187187 »

I'm sure we did. There is zero probability we did not. More often than not they don't want to play for a team with a sub .500 record, a half empty gym, and no NIL money.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

His family BIG Bama fans....
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

janvandy66 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:12 pm He is from Nashville and we did not sign him, another great player to leave our town and not play for us. That is why we are not in the top 25 and Alabama is no. 4. Anyway I am proud of how we did fight to stay in the game even without L.R..
It's like you are talking about someone coming into our gym from some little school with a chip on his shoulder from "being overlooked", which is hardly the case.
ScottGVU
Captain

Post by ScottGVU »

Seems like I heard his dad may have played football at Alabama.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Yes his father played football at Bama and he has been a Bama fan for life but will play for Bama for 1 year and be gone.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

According to 247...not only did Miller have an offer from VU, other schools he turned down included:

Auburn
Kentucky
uut
Florida
Kansas
Ole Miss
Louisville
Memphis
Wake Forest
Texas Tech

and add to that list per Rivals...
DePaul
Georgetown
Illinois
Arkansas
Virginia Tech
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:08 am According to 247...not only did Miller have an offer from VU, other schools he turned down included:

Auburn
Kentucky
uut
Florida
Kansas
Ole Miss
Louisville
Memphis
Wake Forest
Texas Tech

DePaul
Georgetown
Illinois
Arkansas
Virginia Tech
sounds like a bama guy to me. he's a tremendous talent, no? could be off base here, but miller last night made me think of jabari smith.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

docdore wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:41 am
MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:08 am According to 247...not only did Miller have an offer from VU, other schools he turned down included:

Auburn
Kentucky
uut
Florida
Kansas
Ole Miss
Louisville
Memphis
Wake Forest
Texas Tech

DePaul
Georgetown
Illinois
Arkansas
Virginia Tech
sounds like a bama guy to me. he's a tremendous talent, no? could be off base here, but miller last night made me think of jabari smith.
That isn't crazy at all - there are a ton of similarities between the two players not only in their size and style, but their numbers. Very good comparison.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:49 am
docdore wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:41 am

Auburn
Kentucky
uut
Florida
Kansas
Ole Miss
Louisville
Memphis
Wake Forest
Texas Tech

DePaul
Georgetown
Illinois
Arkansas
Virginia Tech
That isn't crazy at all - there are a ton of similarities between the two players not only in their size and style, but their numbers. Very good comparison.
I think Smith was slightly bigger and more athletic, but Miller is a smoother, better offensive player. He is a much better shooter. And Miller has plenty of athleticism. It is easy to see him going in the Top 5 next year.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

He has great IQ/instincts. I remember a sequence where Wright was pulling a defensive rebound and started to bobble the ball. Miller immediately reacted to be in position if the ball came out, but then backed off to avoid fouling and hustled to the defensive end immediately once it became clear Wright had secured the ball. Had he not, Miller probably would have come up with it and scored. Heck of a player.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:26 am He has great IQ/instincts. I remember a sequence where Wright was pulling a defensive rebound and started to bobble the ball. Miller immediately reacted to be in position if the ball came out, but then backed off to avoid fouling and hustled to the defensive end immediately once it became clear Wright had secured the ball. Had he not, Miller probably would have come up with it and scored. Heck of a player.
The last freshman with his basketball instincts may have been Bernard King for those who can remember.

But Miller can play any spot on the floor.

Dominique Wilkins was pretty good at that age too.
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

My fault, I should have checked it out before I posted. He is a great player for sure and a one year deal for Alabama like someone posted before. I just wish that we could get that one special great player that would make other players want to go to Vandy to play with. With all that basketball has changed in the last few years with the NIL deals and transfer rules I guess that it will never be like the glory days of the past.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

I’m glad he’s not here. Not a vandy guy.
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

Are you wrong or what, if he plays for us we would be in the big tournament this year, if we can't or don't want to sign great players like him according to your statement then we may as well pack it in.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

janvandy66 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:30 pm My fault, I should have checked it out before I posted. He is a great player for sure and a one year deal for Alabama like someone posted before. I just wish that we could get that one special great player that would make other players want to go to Vandy to play with. With all that basketball has changed in the last few years with the NIL deals and transfer rules I guess that it will never be like the glory days of the past.
we did….darius garland. alas….
3rdFloorDyer
Captain

Post by 3rdFloorDyer »

If Miller played for us he would be injured.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

3rdFloorDyer wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:35 pm If Miller played for us he would be injured.
…..or doing pine time while he “learns the game”??
Locked Previous topicNext topic