Looking at the rest of the non-conf schedule

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Looking at the rest of the non-conf schedule

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

We have a nice home stretch to round out the non-conference season, with 2 resume-building games. This is a winnable slate. 5-1 is probably more realistic and acceptable, but 4-2 would be disappointing imo.

1. Tonight vs. Wofford (KP #146). Vandy favored by -8.5.
2. 12/7 vs. Pitt (KP #80)
3. 12/9 vs. Grambling (KP #277)
4. 12/17 vs NC State (KP #58)
5. 12/22 vs. Alabama A&M (#334)
6. 12/30 vs. SE Lousiana (#310)

One game at a time, but if we can manage to go 5-1 (assuming the loss is to either Pitt or NC State) or 6-0, the team will have some good momentum going into the new year. I'm really hoping we can turn the season around after the VCU game. Have to think the guys come out with a chip on their shoulder tonight.

This stretch will likely be most important for our Freshmen to see meaningful minutes. If we're going to see a preview of what any of these guys are capable of, I believe this is when we'll see it.

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Re: Looking at the rest of the non-conf schedule

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

quasidiehardvandyfan wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:51 am We have a nice home stretch to round out the non-conference season, with 2 resume-building games. This is a winnable slate. 5-1 is probably more realistic and acceptable, but 4-2 would be disappointing imo.

1. Tonight vs. Wofford (KP #146). Vandy favored by -8.5.
2. 12/7 vs. Pitt (KP #80)
3. 12/9 vs. Grambling (KP #277)
4. 12/17 vs NC State (KP #58)
5. 12/22 vs. Alabama A&M (#334)
6. 12/30 vs. SE Lousiana (#310)

One game at a time, but if we can manage to go 5-1 (assuming the loss is to either Pitt or NC State) or 6-0, the team will have some good momentum going into the new year. I'm really hoping we can turn the season around after the VCU game. Have to think the guys come out with a chip on their shoulder tonight.

This stretch will likely be most important for our Freshmen to see meaningful minutes. If we're going to see a preview of what any of these guys are capable of, I believe this is when we'll see it.
Interestingly, Pitt beat NC State last night in Raleigh, 68-60. Panthers are much improved this year.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

NC State is in Chicago, so neutral floor. Nice to get another one of those in before SEC play begins.
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

Neutral site? Even better. All of my cautious optimism gets thrown out the window if we can't get it done against Wofford, so one foot in front of the other. Haven't heard much, but if Wright is out, will be interesting to see who gets the start. Hopefully Smith or Dia. Would love to see one of these guys have a double digit game one of these days.
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

Maybe we find a spark and beat NC State/Pittsburg… but witnessing Wofford game in person, it’s concerning they are taking a year 4 CJS team to the buzzer at home. Wofford looked like a team an SEC caliber squad should beat by 15+. A few areas I’m happy to give CJS credit in, but we’ve been very unimpressive in non-conference in his tenure and it crushes our resume every season.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

Nc state is really good. Barely lost to Kansas and Pitt beat nc state. I’d be shocked if vandy won either the way it’s played thus far. Gotta win the other 3….

Southern miss lost to northwestern state today. Not northwestern
VandyDores15
Ensign

Post by VandyDores15 »

Our January SEC slate is pretty difficult too, Alabama x2, Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky, A&M…Missouri has even had a nice start (albeit a very weak schedule).
Locked Previous topicNext topic