About the T on Robbins

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

alathIN
Rear Admiral

About the T on Robbins

Post by alathIN »

So the defender hits Robbins' head and no foul is called.
Heading the other way, Robbins gestures as if hitting his own head, and gets T'd up for protesting the non-call.

The refs' position is indefensible. They are saying in effect that by gesturing at his head, Robbins was protesting the non-call of an event that didn't happen.

Sorry, you can't have it both ways. Either he got hit on the head and his gesture referenced that event, and you saw it, in which case you should have called the foul - or, he never got hit in the head and his harmless random gesture didn't refer to anything that happened in the game and there was no grounds for the T.

Stack was right to blow up.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: About the T on Robbins

Post by charlestonalum »

Lenox, the official who called the T, is on the UK payroll and is a SEC official - by payroll I mean he has been paid to referee UK games in Bahamas and their intra-squad games etc. He resides in Kentucky. Lots of press about all this but here is one article: https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/201 ... -20180806/
Troubadore
Rear Admiral

Post by Troubadore »

I don't think Robbins was even protesting the call, it looks like he glanced at our bench while tapping his head twice. Has anybody seen a more ridiculous technical called? Ever? Stack had every right to go ballistic on that clown ref. What was the final foul total, 37-20? The refs won that game for VCU, period. Whoever hired that ref needs to watch the replay and clearly never hire him again, nor should any other league. I hope he's good at his real job because he's completely incompetent on a basketball court.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

Hoping the bs sec rules that prohibit coaches from l commenting openly about the referees don’t apply till to this non conference game.
Can you imagine if that was CBD on the sideline instead? Clap, clap, great call ref!”
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

doubledore9603 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:20 pm Hoping the bs sec rules that prohibit coaches from l commenting openly about the referees don’t apply till to this non conference game.
Can you imagine if that was CBD on the sideline instead? Clap, clap, great call ref!”
I could not help but laugh at the "Clap, clap, great call ref!” comment. When Brice was the coach my young son at the time referred to him as "Mr. Clappy Hands." Every time the camera would pan to him, he was cIapping and my son would say "he is very clappy." I always got a kick out of that.
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

Garbage call by a bad ref. Stackhouse did the right thing. It's a pity he didn't get his hands on him.
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

doubledore9603 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:20 pm Hoping the bs sec rules that prohibit coaches from l commenting openly about the referees don’t apply till to this non conference game.
At first I thought you said Stackhouse said that -- it would've been funny to clap and jeer "great call, ref!" sarcastically in a Samuel L Jackson kind of way. He probably could've gotten away with that without a technical. But instead I see you're dragging up a past coach over a totally inconsequential mannerism that many other coaches do.

Let this sink in:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /401489110

I just got through saying in a later thread, because I was catching up a little bit, that our former coach was not in the best in the best place for him when he was here and had a bad year, but he wound up in a place he fits perfectly and he's going to do well there. And there is no reason to bring him up about such an irrelevant, trivial thing as clapping. Plenty of coaches do that.

We simply were a bunch of vipers about it. If he had not been losing that year, no one would've ever said that about him. He's not losing as much as we are now so I would think it be about time to stop talking about him.

I don't see VU is as good a place for Drew as where he is now because he likes to run the off game time as a Bible camp. That's perfect for religious school, and he's going to do well where he is. His style of forcing Bible camp on all players is not the best thing to install at secular schools like Vanderbilt.

But we do need someone who can win so let's hope Stackhouse can do that.
doubledore9603
Lieutenant

Post by doubledore9603 »

memphisVUalum wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:49 am
At first I thought you said Stackhouse said that -- it would've been funny to clap and jeer "great call, ref!" sarcastically in a Samuel L Jackson kind of way. He probably could've gotten away with that without a technical. But instead I see you're dragging up a past coach over a totally inconsequential mannerism that many other coaches do.

Let this sink in:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /401489110

I just got through saying in a later thread, because I was catching up a little bit, that our former coach was not in the best in the best place for him when he was here and had a bad year, but he wound up in a place he fits perfectly and he's going to do well there. And there is no reason to bring him up about such an irrelevant, trivial thing as clapping. Plenty of coaches do that.

We simply were a bunch of vipers about it. If he had not been losing that year, no one would've ever said that about him. He's not losing as much as we are now so I would think it be about time to stop talking about him.
I brought it up to make highlight the contrast in styles bc folks were complaining about CJS being unhinged. I’ll contend, it’s exactly what the Vandy players needed to see-validation of their sentiments.

You said it yourself, CBD (ironic initials btw) was not in the right place for his style to be effective… I fully agree with that sentiment; his success at GCU speaks to that.

As to your requests to “move on”…Jeff Green walked. 😉
memphisVUalum
Vice Admiral

Post by memphisVUalum »

doubledore9603 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:21 am
As to your requests to “move on”…Jeff Green walked. 😉
Ha ha!
Locked Previous topicNext topic