Going no where another season !!

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

janvandy66
Ensign

Going no where another season !!

Post by janvandy66 »

The refs were terrible but we should win these games and we are not winning. I have reserved any negative comments till now. I have been a Vandy fan for over 50 years now and I guess that we will never again be a great team like before. This coach like him or not will never get us there and that is a fact. We have better players than a lot of these teams but can't get it done. Last year we had S. P. and that was like a coach on the floor in some ways.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Going no where another season !!

Post by MrMemorial »

Not so fast my friend, Jordan Wright was hurt...tried to play through it but couldn't. Both teams tonight shot 43% from the field and 38% from three. VCU shot SEVENTEEN more free throws. The zebras WERE the difference in the game tonight. As good as Pippen Jr was as a player, he was in no way a surrogate coach on the floor. Even JVBK, one of my all-time favorite VU players, was not a surrogate coach on the floor.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

janvandy66 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:02 pm The refs were terrible but we should win these games and we are not winning. I have reserved any negative comments till now. I have been a Vandy fan for over 50 years now and I guess that we will never again be a great team like before. This coach like him or not will never get us there and that is a fact. We have better players than a lot of these teams but can't get it done. Last year we had S. P. and that was like a coach on the floor in some ways.
Do not agree with your prediction, but time will tell.
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

As I said you may like him and I do also as a person and a former great basketball player but tell me how we are going to get to the NCAA tournment this year which is his 3rd year being head coach, I know that we have only played 7 games so far but we should be 5-2 instead of 3-4. I hope that I am wrong about him this year and I really liked the way that he got after the refs last night but as you remember he had no prior experence on the coaching college level and was hired by the bad AD that we had to fire after one year for stealing. Again I hope that I am wrong and I will still be pulling for him and our team as I have for these many years.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

It is certainly frustrating to watch a group of talented individuals underachieve year after year. Stack's teams seem to start really slow and finish hot. It is tough to build a consistent winner with this formula.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I'm a bit grey on the team/program at this point myself. Forgetting about the ref's for a moment, I thought we weren't much better, if at all, from VCU at this point in time. They are a decent team and so are we. But we're not a top tier SEC team by any estimation.
OTOH we have a very strong freshman class and some genuinely talented upperclassmen. I'm holding judgement to see how the frosh grow and whether a team with a healthy Jordan Wright can take a step into the top half of the conference as the year rolls on.
After the weirdness of the Drew era (great recruiting turned into I don't know what) it simply might take longer to right the ship. And I genuinely think that Stackhouse after some early fumbling has turned into a coach that can lead us to better things. But like I, and I suspect everyone else, want "can lead us to" to turn into "has led us to" at a faster pace.
Ah, the life of a Vandy sports fan...
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

We had a complete swing and miss recruiting class last year - all those players are gone. Hope we keep and develop this years freshman. Have seen so little of Shelby that its difficult to predict how good he can be, but the other three certainly are built like SEC players.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Our margin of error for victory is so thin. Last night we had crappy refs and Wright's injury. Too much to overcome. Speaking of refs, was last night's crew an SEC crew? I'm also disappointed thus far by the lack of significant contribution from our freshmen.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

geeznotagain wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:45 am Our margin of error for victory is so thin. Last night we had crappy refs and Wright's injury. Too much to overcome. Speaking of refs, was last night's crew an SEC crew? I'm also disappointed thus far by the lack of significant contribution from our freshmen.
see other threads, but yes this was an SEC crew and yes, UK has had Lenox on the payroll so what do you expect?
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

janvandy66 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:02 pm The refs were terrible but we should win these games and we are not winning. I have reserved any negative comments till now. I have been a Vandy fan for over 50 years now and I guess that we will never again be a great team like before. This coach like him or not will never get us there and that is a fact. We have better players than a lot of these teams but can't get it done. Last year we had S. P. and that was like a coach on the floor in some ways.
Apply with AD for Vandy head coaching job and see how far and you get!
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:57 am
geeznotagain wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:45 am Our margin of error for victory is so thin. Last night we had crappy refs and Wright's injury. Too much to overcome. Speaking of refs, was last night's crew an SEC crew? I'm also disappointed thus far by the lack of significant contribution from our freshmen.
see other threads, but yes this was an SEC crew and yes, UK has had Lenox on the payroll so what do you expect?
I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy ... but do you really think that Kentucky even thinks about Vandy basketball often enough to make sure the official they have on the payroll screws us in a nonconference game?
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

geeznotagain wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:45 am I'm also disappointed thus far by the lack of significant contribution from our freshmen.
This.

This is what I've been frustrated by so far. Our frosh were reasonably heralded, but really haven't made a mark yet. I'm trying to tell myself to be patient. That as they learn, the minutes and impact will come. That the frosh, and thus the team, will be better in February than they are now, and that will set us up for a big improvement next year.

On the other hand, with the transfer portal these days, if guys that think they should be contributing more aren't, they will quickly leave and find a place they can.

I want this to work ... but the season so far has been a disappointment.
janvandy66
Ensign

Post by janvandy66 »

To thefan, I have been a Vandy fan for over 50 years and have seen it all, to your statement about applying for a Coaching job, if that is all that you can say then don't even bother.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

mathguy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:52 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:57 am
I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy ... but do you really think that Kentucky even thinks about Vandy basketball often enough to make sure the official they have on the payroll screws us in a nonconference game?
My point was that the SEC does not have obvious standards - how can they permit officials to be paid by a team in the conference - this is blantantly asking for bias for or against any opponent of the payer team. It just speaks to the lack of of professional standards of SEC refs. This is not conspiracy, it is about competence and ethics. This is why physicians are not permitted to be taken to dinner by drug companies etc. In my estimation this shows that the official has questionable judgement, and that the SEC has flawed standards. Not a conspiracy just an observation.
Locked Previous topicNext topic