Billy McCaffrey named to VU Athletics Hall of Fame

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Billy McCaffrey named to VU Athletics Hall of Fame

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

McCaffrey was a transfer from Duke who helped lead Vandy to its last SEC championship in 1993. He had as much impact on VU basketball in only two seasons as any player in program history and was an All-American and SEC player of the year in 1993. One of my favorite all-time Commodores.

He was one of 13 selections announced today by VU: https://vucommodores.com/hall-of-fame-c ... nced-2022/

frstev17
Captain

Re: Billy McCaffrey named to VU Athletics Hall of Fame

Post by frstev17 »

He had an incredibly quick release coming off screens…with accuracy.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

frstev17 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:56 pm He had an incredibly quick release coming off screens…with accuracy.
He shoot an incredible 51.2% on 3-point attempts in the 1992-93 season. That was a great passing team that was really good at setting screens.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

The real question is whether he shows up to be honored. He's known to be pretty flaky.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

'92-'93: one of the greatest teams in Vandy history. In large part due to transfers, before anyone even imagined a portal. McCaffrey from Duke, Lawson from Indiana, Elder from Davidson, i think.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

MemorialMagic wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:57 pm The real question is whether he shows up to be honored. He's known to be pretty flaky.
One factor working for his return is that Hoolahan won't be around. Sorry. Too soon?
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

wish we could get some more of the McCaffreys to attend VU, quite a prolific family.
EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Post by EagleDore »

A little more detail on Billy from Wikipedia:

McCaffrey attended Allentown Central Catholic High School in Allentown, Pennsylvania, where he played in the 1989 McDonald's All American game.

McCaffrey began his college career at Duke University. As a sophomore, he was the team's second leading scorer during its 1991 NCAA Championship season. He scored 16 points in the 1991 title game win over Kansas. McCaffrey then sat out the 1991–92 season as he transferred to Vanderbilt University.

As a Commodore, McCaffrey was named a two-time All-American. A 6'3" shooting guard, he averaged 20.6 points in both his seasons at Vanderbilt, leading the school to a high national ranking of number 5, an SEC regular season title with a 14–2 record, and number 3 regional seed in the 1993 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament where Vanderbilt lost in the Sweet 16s to Temple. His 20.6 point average and .464 three-point field goal ranks second all-time in school history, and he is first in career free throw percentage at 88%. He also holds the Vanderbilt record for most assists in a game, 14, scored January 13 against Kentucky. He shared SEC Player of the Year honors with Jamal Mashburn in 1993.
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

It's about time.

The game that year where we beat #1 UK at home, quite decisively, is one of the most electric sporting events I have ever been to.

Still my all-time favorite Commodore BB player, which says a LOT.
MacAttack93
Lieutenant

Post by MacAttack93 »

dallasdore wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:26 pm It's about time.

The game that year where we beat #1 UK at home, quite decisively, is one of the most electric sporting events I have ever been to.

DItto. Still my all time favorite player and all time favorite team -- the last to win the SEC regular season.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

dallasdore wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:26 pm The game that year where we beat #1 UK at home, quite decisively, is one of the most electric sporting events I have ever been to.
Me too :D
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

dallasdore wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:26 pm It's about time.

It was the last time the gym was that loud, for reasons that have little to do with the team on the floor. That season was followed by a series of small but meaningful changes to the building, including the bunting in the rafters, slight reductions in capacity, the move of press row down to the floor, and the "shadow people" banners and painting of the cinder block walls in the corners. All of them cut down on the decibel potential in the building.
Locked Previous topicNext topic