a few hoops thoughts

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DoreRayMe
Lieutenant

Re: a few hoops thoughts

Post by DoreRayMe »

Southern Miss record is now 8-0. Still not a great loss for us but not nearly as bad as it seemed a few weeks ago.

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Vandamnit wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:55 am I think we have two players who will play at the next level and a bunch of freshmen who will continue to develop and emerge. I think we are going to give some teams quite a headache. I really get frustrated with the level of doomandgloom on this board this early in the season.

Whoever made the comment about Wright being the key to this team...I totally agree. We won't beat many decent teams without him playing well.
Who are the two players you think will play in the NBA? Liam is the only one I see who has a remote chance and even then I don't see him lasting. Not aggressive enough and is too foul-prone. Wright? lol...not a chance. Too inconsistent and a tweener sizewise. Too clumsy handling the ball. Stute is a streaky outside shooter but the rest of his game is lacking. Almost every time a see a weakside left open....it is Stute.

The thing that dooms Vandy to mediocrity...as has been the last few years....is not having multiple players that can SHOOT AND MAKE SHOTS fairly consistent. No one here can consistently hit an outside shot. We will win a few games when a couple of streaky shooters are "on" but again we will go through major scoring droughts. We are still lacking in the fundamentals. We run offensive sets that last about 3 quick rotations then it goes back to one on one chaos. You may say I am Mr. Doom and gloom....but I still see a team of roll players. I think some freshmen may break that cycle(I hope) but not yet. We have bolstered our lack of inside depth but Liam is the only inside scoring threat. I think Smith and Dia will grow into one. Dort is a beast but lots to learn. Too early for the guards to tell.Sorry.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

I think Stute will play at the next level. He led the SEC in 3 point percentage last year. Not a bad stat for a 6'7" player. Yep, his def is not where it needs to be, but he has 2 seasons to develop. We shall see. If Matt Ryan found a home ...
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Vandamnit wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:50 am I think Stute will play at the next level. He led the SEC in 3 point percentage last year. Not a bad stat for a 6'7" player. Yep, his def is not where it needs to be, but he has 2 seasons to develop. We shall see. If Matt Ryan found a home ...
That is what I was thinking. I mean heck, he is only a sophomore. If he improves his game he certainly has a chance, especially shooting like that.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

DoreRayMe wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:16 pm Southern Miss record is now 8-0. Still not a great loss for us but not nearly as bad as it seemed a few weeks ago.
Mrs. Pomeroy hasn't commented on USM being 8-0. Crickets at the very least.

They beat so-called "Liberty" so they do have one eye opening win.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:30 am The biggest thing this team needs right now is a lead dog, an alpha. That may take some time to emerge.
Do you think maybe Lawrence is assuming that role? He may not be as talented as the ideal "alpha", but I think he has the mindset.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Lawrence is playing hard. Hope he keeps getting better at shooting and making the 3.
utahozzie
Commander

Post by utahozzie »

commadore wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:49 am
Vandamnit wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:50 am I think Stute will play at the next level. He led the SEC in 3 point percentage last year. Not a bad stat for a 6'7" player. Yep, his def is not where it needs to be, but he has 2 seasons to develop. We shall see. If Matt Ryan found a home ...
That is what I was thinking. I mean heck, he is only a sophomore. If he improves his game he certainly has a chance, especially shooting like that.
Stute is a Junior i believe
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Stute has forgotten to cover his man on the back/weak side since he was a freshman....still does it! Gives up easy baskets.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

utahozzie wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:11 pm
You are correct.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

commadore wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:11 am
utahozzie wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:11 pm

You are correct.
Both are technically correct in that Stute is a junior in that this is his third season, but he has two additional seasons to play after this one due to his first season being essentially a "mulligan", and doesn't really count.

Stute is a fantastic three point shooter and has started this season even better than how he did last season, which was very impressive. He has improved his defensive rebounding as well, which is what we would want to see from a player his size. His game is too one dimensional however. His assist rate is very low as he doesn't create any offense for other players, and while he has attempted to drive the ball more this season than last season, his conversion rate inside is horrible for a 6'-7" player (8-27 inside the arc). Combining this with the fact that he rarely draws fouls and commits far more turnovers than a spot up three point shooter should, results in an offensive rating that is rather pedestrian for a player who is hitting over half of his three point attempts. If you compare him to Kyle Korver for instance, his scoring inside the arc, FT% and assist rates all pale in comparison. While he doesn't have to be excellent at any of those things, he probably has to get a lot better than he currently is if he wants to stick in the league.
Locked Previous topicNext topic