minutes

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Hutch37
Commander

minutes

Post by Hutch37 »

I always like the preseason minute projections- i have zero inside knowledge but it still is interesting to get perspectives on who we think is going to get PT.
i think the starters are somewhat set but it will get pretty interesting from there:
1- Manjon 27 min
Lewis/shelby - 9 min each(includes at the 2)
2-Lawrence 25
Thomas 10
3- Wright 30
Ansong 10
4- Stute 24
Smith 11
5 -Robbins 20
QMB 16
Dort 9
Notes-better chance that one of lewis/shelby gets more minutes than the other and thomas ends up with more.
this leaves no minutes for Dia, keefe, etc and Keefe did seem to play a bunch in the games this summer so maybe he takes some of the lewis/shelby/ansong time. Dia seems promising but may just be in a numbers crunch as VU has rarely had this kind of interior depth. The big flaw in this is that it has 12 players getting decent minutes and will that really happen? or will every starter get more once we hit the SEC and leave everyone else fighting for some time?

Jason94
Admiral

Re: minutes

Post by Jason94 »

Hutch37 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:14 am I always like the preseason minute projections- i have zero inside knowledge but it still is interesting to get perspectives on who we think is going to get PT.
i think the starters are somewhat set but it will get pretty interesting from there:
1- Manjon 27 min
Lewis/shelby - 9 min each(includes at the 2)
2-Lawrence 25
Thomas 10
3- Wright 30
Ansong 10
4- Stute 24
Smith 11
5 -Robbins 20
QMB 16
Dort 9
Notes-better chance that one of lewis/shelby gets more minutes than the other and thomas ends up with more.
this leaves no minutes for Dia, keefe, etc and Keefe did seem to play a bunch in the games this summer so maybe he takes some of the lewis/shelby/ansong time. Dia seems promising but may just be in a numbers crunch as VU has rarely had this kind of interior depth. The big flaw in this is that it has 12 players getting decent minutes and will that really happen? or will every starter get more once we hit the SEC and leave everyone else fighting for some time?
I think this is a reasonable guess - the trip to Italy did give us some hints, though Stute didn't play and I don't believe that Dia was available either, which gave the majority of the minutes at the 4 to Smith and Ansong even though he's listed at only 6'-4". But I would tend to think that Stute retains a lot of minutes especially since he should be our most reliable outside shooter on a team that really lacks reliable outside shooting. Because a lot of our depth is concentrated at the 4/5, it is difficult to see how we are able to play 12 guys consistently, as teams that tend to play that many players might do so by running full court pressure or a run and gun offensive style, which I do not think we are suited for.

Everything looks good overall except for the question of how us relying upon 35 minutes at the 2 between Lawrence and Thomas will turn out. But if you have to choose between the two of them then Lawrence should get the lion's share of the minutes as he can play defense and handle the ball a bit.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

From an interview with recent commit Carter Lang:
“Coach Stackhouse runs his team similar to the NBA with all of the resources necessary to develop as a player. I also fit well into their system that utilizes two bigs and will allow me to make decisions with the ball.”

I wonder if the goal is to play Robbins and QMB more minutes, overall, simultaneously. The recruiting would bear this out as an ongoing game plan, too.
Hutch37
Commander

Post by Hutch37 »

in this projection i only have QMB w 16 minutes which is probably low but i doubt they won't play Dort 5-10 minutes a game. Playing 2 bigs at 4 & 5 rarely makes sense unless 1 of them can really pop 3's and extend the Defense. That is not QMB and I dont think that is Dort either--I wonder how many Robbins may launch...
alabamacommodore
Ensign

Post by alabamacommodore »

Stackhouse recently indicated (in the article below) that it is unlikely that Robbins and Millora-Brown will play at the same time. He also mentioned that Stute was training some at the 3 spot and Wright at the 2. I have a feeling that a big lineup (Manjon, Wright, Stute, Smith, Robbins) might be our best lineup.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 515066007/
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

alabamacommodore wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:10 pm Stackhouse recently indicated (in the article below) that it is unlikely that Robbins and Millora-Brown will play at the same time. He also mentioned that Stute was training some at the 3 spot and Wright at the 2. I have a feeling that a big lineup (Manjon, Wright, Stute, Smith, Robbins) might be our best lineup.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 515066007/
That seems like a way to solve the issue at the 2 guard and take advantage of the depth we have in the post, and also a realization on CJS' part that playing Lawrence/Thomas for 40 minutes is not an ideal situation. It wouldn't surprise me if Ansong gets some time along with Stute to invert the 3/4 spots given Stute's ability to spot up from three and Ansong's ability to post up. I do wonder if he plays QMB or Robbins with Dort at all - both QMB and Robbins can operate away from the post but Dort strikes more as more of a back to the basket type of player.
Locked Previous topicNext topic