Saben Lee traded to the Jazz

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Saben Lee traded to the Jazz

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

This happened a few days ago, but I didn't have a chance to post about it until today.

He was traded from the Pistons along with Kelly Olynyk for Bojan Bogdanovic. He was originally drafted by the Jazz but traded to Detroit. Thus, Lee starts anew with another franchise in total teardown mode.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 511144007/

Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Re: Saben Lee traded to the Jazz

Post by Ndorefin »

Maybe this will get him more PT!
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

He needs to make his money when he can. I don't see a prolonged career being traded so often this early.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

And how many players are on the Jazz now?

They got Saben and one other for 1 player the other day.

They previously traded one player (Donovan Mitchell) to Cleveland for 3 players. (Cleveland included 3 future no. 1 picks; that's crazy! Mitchell is no Michael Jordan.)

Maybe I missed something, but those two trades alone seem to put the Jazz roster at Plus 3 players. Something's gotta give.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Versus75 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:21 am And how many players are on the Jazz now?

They got Saben and one other for 1 player the other day.

They previously traded one player (Donovan Mitchell) to Cleveland for 3 players. (Cleveland included 3 future no. 1 picks; that's crazy! Mitchell is no Michael Jordan.)

Maybe I missed something, but those two trades alone seem to put the Jazz roster at Plus 3 players. Something's gotta give.
1) I'd assume there are players that got bought out/released. Let's face it, the Jazz traded Mitchell for draft picks and players that the league required in order to make things work under salary cap rules. The prize wasn't the players. Sure Sexton is a nice add, but I'm sure the Jazz could have (or will easily reduced roster slots.

2) I agree. The Cavs overpaid. Mitchell is a great scorer ... who occasionally even plays defense! Sometimes. If the Cavs truly think this gets them close to a title, then you do it. But with Boston, Milwaukee, and Miami in the east (not to mention Philly and the Nets) it's hard to see the Cavs finishing in the top 4 in the conference or surviving the opening round of the playoffs. Maybe getting Mitchell makes them the #5 team in the east and helps them recruit a free agent or two ... but I don't see how they leap the Bucks or Celtics with this core.

3) Go Saban Lee!! I never thought much of his NBA chances when he was at Vandy, but as near as I can tell he seems to be carving himself a nice little niche in the NBA. I don't think he's ever going to be a regular starter, but I can now see him lasting 8 or 10 years in various bench roles.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Believe Lee has ended up on Raptor’s G-league team. Stack must still have some sway in the league.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Lee bounced quickly from the Pistons to the Jazz to the Suns and finally the Raptors, all in a matter of a few days in the preseason, before being signed by the Raptors' G League squad.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

roanoke wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:14 am Believe Lee has ended up on Raptor’s G-league team. Stack must still have some sway in the league.
Well Stack certainly still has some with the Raptors. He spent 2015-16 with them as an assistant (when they made the Eastern Conference Finals) and then coached their D-League team to a title in 2016-17, before being poached by Memphis. So I'm sure Toronto's President, Masai Ujiri, would listen if Stack talked. But of course Masai doesn't need anyone to scout Saben, as he's one of the very best there is at turning other teams' trash into Toronto's treasure (see Van Vleet, Fred; Lowry, Kyle; Boucher, Chris; and Achiuwa, Precious for examples of recent castaways or lightly regarded players that have flourished in Toronto since Masai took over). He also seems to like smart, tough undersized guards (e.g. Lowry and Van Vleet) that can guard despite their lack of height (especially if they're surrounded by a bunch of 6'8" positionless types). So it's a good place for him to land.

I'm surprised LA didn't pick him up, because they could use him. Ditto for Denver and Cleveland (although both teams really need a versatile bench forward more). I suppose if San Antonio had learned a little sooner about Joshua Primo's [ahem] adult acting ambitions they might have picked him up too, because now they're one guard short. But I think there are plenty of people in the league who feel that he can play a useful role, if nothing else as a backup combo guard who can get hot on one end, cause havoc on the other, and add some energy from the bench. I hope Toronto works out for him!
Locked Previous topicNext topic