Carter Lang news

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Carter Lang news

Post by commadore »

VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Re: Carter Lang news

Post by VandyPhile »

To me, it seems like he was more effusive about Vandy than Stanford (a flat recitation of facts). Maybe I’m just being a fan. Time will tell, I suppose.
dorepleganger
Rear Admiral

Post by dorepleganger »

VandyPhile wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:38 pm To me, it seems like he was more effusive about Vandy than Stanford (a flat recitation of facts). Maybe I’m just being a fan. Time will tell, I suppose.
I agree. And when I read this last line:

"the PAC-12 is a power-5 conference" my initial thought was "for now."

In that vein, I wonder how many recruits are less interested in the remaining PAC-12 schools, given UCLA & USC's defection to the B1G?

With all the focus on football regarding UCLA & USC's departure from the PAC-12, I had not thought much about the impact on basketball and recruiting - on the rest of the conference.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

As reported on twitter...welcome aboard Carter Lang. Great pick up for the staff, congrats all.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

6-9 and 250 ...... Boy Howdy!!

Another good recruiting class in the making. I like it!!
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Here are some recent highlights -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzkE66vwdM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWrh8nr5wfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trkn9k5ocg0

I know that these are just highlights, so I don't know what is shooting percentages or what the level of competition, but stylistically, I really like the way he plays. While it is clear that despite his size he isn't an above the rim type of player, and isn't an athletic freak, he does appear to be unusually skilled for a post player. How many HS highlight reels of post players spend significant portions of the reel on that players' passing? Post players who not only can move the ball for offensive continuity but also use their passing as a weapon are quite rare overall, and that was the first thing that sticks out. Second was his apparent range. Given the number of highlight shots showing him shooting from the elbow out, it is reasonable to assume (considering his overall athleticism) that he has a reasonable shot out to 20'+. Also notable is that he is a lefty, but is able to finish inside with both his left and right hands.

This may be wishful thinking, but it is possible that Lang is underrated and could end up being a player whose game translates to college immediately. I suppose it is also possible that he will struggle against the athleticism of SEC posts, but at the very least he will be able to pull them away from the basket and his lefty shot and advanced post game is very promising.

It is very promising that CJS has taken the recruiting from this 2022 class and apparently not only kept it up, but potentially raised the overall calibur of the recruit. Very exciting!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Didn't realize he is a lefty. That usually causes defensive problems as well.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Kid can shoot and appears to be agile enough and knows the game well!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Major recruiting get: welcome. Onward and upward.
Last edited by charlestonalum on Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

huge news! this is shaping up to be another solid class (if they all stick to their commitment)
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

Says he models his game after Jokić, which we'll take ;) - I can see that based on his passing ability and range in the highlight reel.

We'll see where this class ends up, but seems like we have some guys whose stock should rise in their senior seasons and fill some needed roles. Future looks good right now.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

quasidiehardvandyfan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:16 am Says he models his game after Jokić, which we'll take ;) - I can see that based on his passing ability and range in the highlight reel.

We'll see where this class ends up, but seems like we have some guys whose stock should rise in their senior seasons and fill some needed roles. Future looks good right now.
I did notice similarities but didn't want to mention it as you don't want to get carried away comparing a rising HS senior with one of the best players on the planet. But Lang does appear to utilize his size and vision to create for his teammates, and does like to use multiple angles/release points to get his shot off. The way he approaches and plays the game with his combination of size and skill would make him very difficult to defend.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

This guy looks to be a good catch for us. I have seen a lot of above the rim players who make a couple of highlight plays per game averaging 7 ppg but spend the rest of the 39 minutes getting pushed around by a banger like this kid. Glad we landed him.
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

Some helpful info on his game and what to expect: https://247sports.com/college/vanderbil ... 193304487/
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:34 am
quasidiehardvandyfan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:16 am Says he models his game after Jokić, which we'll take ;) - I can see that based on his passing ability and range in the highlight reel.

I did notice similarities but didn't want to mention it as you don't want to get carried away comparing a rising HS senior with one of the best players on the planet. But Lang does appear to utilize his size and vision to create for his teammates, and does like to use multiple angles/release points to get his shot off. The way he approaches and plays the game with his combination of size and skill would make him very difficult to defend.
Well, those sure are some optimistic words from the king of "glass-half empty" but I like optimism. :)
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

After West regains his 4 star status (he was hurt in the spring and didn't play in the summer leagues, thus was dropped to 3 star status) this class will really rise.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:32 am
Jason94 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:34 am

Well, those sure are some optimistic words from the king of "glass-half empty" but I like optimism. :)
I call it like i see it, am good at math and understand probabilities - being skeptical that the entire 2022 class will make the NBA is hardly glass half empty. I hope it is true, but the odds suggest that it is a statistical improbability. I don't understand what you find so offensive about that extremely mundane observation. After watching the Italy trip there is a lot to like about this class, but I don't see the second coming of the Fab 5 (and even Ray Jackson never played a game in the NBA).
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

A bit more news. Love his message to VU fans at the bottom:
https://www.on3.com/college/vanderbilt- ... rter-lang/
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:40 pm A bit more news. Love his message to VU fans at the bottom:
https://www.on3.com/college/vanderbilt- ... rter-lang/
I wish I could click on that heart icon ten times for what he said.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

commadore wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:02 am After West regains his 4 star status (he was hurt in the spring and didn't play in the summer leagues, thus was dropped to 3 star status) this class will really rise.
For what it's worth, ESPN has Isaiah West listed as a four-star recruit, ranked #63 in their Top 100 recruits for 2023.
Last edited by TwoSaints on Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Locked Previous topicNext topic