Some stats from today's game

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Some stats from today's game

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

cc11316
Rear Admiral

Re: Some stats from today's game

Post by cc11316 »

Just watched it from Orange1Basket Bassano's YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzKNlYewcB4). There is a screen shot that looks like they are facing 7 different colleges. From what I could tell besides Vanderbilt it was Virginia, Elon (3 days ago), Arkansas, Drexel and 2 others that I couldn't make out.

There were 2 very young officials who called the game (I miss the 2 man crews) and honestly they were no worse than these high paid 3 man crews the SEC pays. Pretty sloppy game but JWright looked good I thought, Manjon looks quick and played tough defense, Tyrin looked good as well. Nice to see the new faces and big bodies but glad there's alot of time until November.
Doubledore
Lieutenant

Post by Doubledore »

Looking sloppy is true for every team this time of year. The extra practices and team building will pay off. Also getting more looks at the new guys will be beneficial.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Is there anyone in Nashville who was trained by Ed Martin ? Our bigs are so lost with the ball in their hands. They don't seem to shoot the ball so much as throw it in the general direction of the hoop. There were several air balls or alley-overs from four to five feet (use the #!~@!! glass). We have to have an at least reasonable inside threat to draw defenses.

Somebody mentioned Lee Dort as a potential "beast" and I think they were right. He probably needs to work on skills but he would be a load to play against.

Thought some of the new guys looked pretty promising. Would really like to see Trey find a consistent shot; I just like the young man and hope he can earn some playing time as a "dagger" guy.

Thanks, cc11316, for the link !
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

OldDude wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:38 pm Is there anyone in Nashville who was trained by Ed Martin ? Our bigs are so lost with the ball in their hands. They don't seem to shoot the ball so much as throw it in the general direction of the hoop. There were several air balls or alley-overs from four to five feet (use the #!~@!! glass). We have to have an at least reasonable inside threat to draw defenses.

Somebody mentioned Lee Dort as a potential "beast" and I think they were right. He probably needs to work on skills but he would be a load to play against.

Thought some of the new guys looked pretty promising. Would really like to see Trey find a consistent shot; I just like the young man and hope he can earn some playing time as a "dagger" guy.

Thanks, cc11316, for the link !
I agree...the bigs REALLY need someone to work on their skills. It is not so hard to post up and use the magic box(small square above the rim) for a little bank shot! Don't these guys practice all year round(not as a team) but individually??? If they are not at least a little bit of a threat then the old inside-out to 3-pt shooters won't work!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Nashmann wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:26 pm I agree...the bigs REALLY need someone to work on their skills. It is not so hard to post up and use the magic box(small square above the rim) for a little bank shot! Don't these guys practice all year round(not as a team) but individually??? If they are not at least a little bit of a threat then the old inside-out to 3-pt shooters won't work!
Post-up skills don’t help big men get drafted (see Garza, Ed, 2021). Most NBA teams are simply not interested, figuring (perhaps correctly?) that it’s easier to find a stretch big, put them on a solid training program, and teach them post moves than it is to find an old-fashioned post-up big man and teach him to shoot, pass, and dribble. There are exceptions (see Leonard, Kawhi, 2012, and Embiid, Joel, 2015), but that’s the prevailing thought at the moment. And the focus of all the summer camps—and of most young players—is very firmly on what the NBA wants.

But I agree. Stack would do well to hire someone to teach post-up skills. Perhaps his old teammate Rasheed Wallace is interested? He did a great job with Memphis’ Jalen Duren last year, but left the Tigers recently. 🤔
CoachH
Petty Officer

Post by CoachH »

Could Will Perdue not be persuaded to work with the big guys .? After all remember who it Ed Martin who mentored him !
Locked Previous topicNext topic