Anyone hear the Scottie Pippen interview tonight?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

cc11316
Rear Admiral

Anyone hear the Scottie Pippen interview tonight?

Post by cc11316 »

I saw this on NBATv during the Hornets/Lakers game during the 4th quarter. I really like to hear him talk as he is articulate, interesting and has some great stories from his NBA days. There were a couple of observations that he mentioned about Scottie Pippen Jr. tonight during the interview that seemed a bit ... critical of perhaps the way his son was used and the talent surrounding him at Vanderbilt.

In particular, there were two statements that I will have to paraphrase as I don't recall word for word how he said it. The gist was:
  • Scottie is a very good on the ball defender but he didn't really have a chance to show it at Vanderbilt as they sank back and played mostly half court coverage. Now that he's in the NBA, he will have the opportunity to show his ability to play full court pressure.
  • Scottie no longer has to be the main scorer so he can concentrate on distributing the ball but he really needs to work on his alley oop. In college, he didn't have guys that could play above the rim but he does now.
That was just kind of interesting to me that he said those things - nothing particularly bad but that's the first even mild criticism that I have heard him speak about Vanderbilt.

dorepleganger
Rear Admiral

Re: Anyone hear the Scottie Pippen interview tonight?

Post by dorepleganger »

cc11316 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:50 pm I saw this on NBATv during the Hornets/Lakers game during the 4th quarter. I really like to hear him talk as he is articulate, interesting and has some great stories from his NBA days. There were a couple of observations that he mentioned about Scottie Pippen Jr. tonight during the interview that seemed a bit ... critical of perhaps the way his son was used and the talent surrounding him at Vanderbilt.

In particular, there were two statements that I will have to paraphrase as I don't recall word for word how he said it. The gist was:
  • Scottie is a very good on the ball defender but he didn't really have a chance to show it at Vanderbilt as they sank back and played mostly half court coverage. Now that he's in the NBA, he will have the opportunity to show his ability to play full court pressure.
  • Scottie no longer has to be the main scorer so he can concentrate on distributing the ball but he really needs to work on his alley oop. In college, he didn't have guys that could play above the rim but he does now.
That was just kind of interesting to me that he said those things - nothing particularly bad but that's the first even mild criticism that I have heard him speak about Vanderbilt.
I didn't hear the interview; however: 1) is anything you relayed untrue?; and 2) this strikes me as lobbying/politicking by SPJr's #1 fan trying to sell the idea that SPJr can do even more than he has already shown.

We did play mostly a 1/2 court defense. We did not really have an "above the rim" component of the team. I see this comment as SPSr trying to make the point that SPJr can play with LBJ & AD with the Lakers 1st team.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I didn't disagree with anything he said and I agree that it helped promote SPJ's skillset. It was just interesting to me to hear the comments from the Hall of Famer on Vanderbilt basketball. Perhaps with more athletes on the roster, Vandy can start pressuring the ball more and not just in the half court. Also, there could be some more athletic wings which will mean more dunks and generally more play above the rim. I never really thought about it until the interview.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

In part he's saying SPJ's game is better suited to the NBA than college.
Even elite college teams don't have the number of superhuman athletes all over the floor like they do in the NBA.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

alathIN wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:50 pm In part he's saying SPJ's game is better suited to the NBA than college.
Even elite college teams don't have the number of superhuman athletes all over the floor like they do in the NBA.
This is essentially what TwoSaints was saying last week. Pippens' efficiency was hurt by the fact that he essentially was our offense last year, and everyone knew he was going to take a large plurality of the shots because secondary offensive options were inconsistent/limited. Despite this he still led the SEC in assist rate at almost 40% in league play. So he had an assist on 4 of the 10 baskets we scored while he was on the court, and additionally took over 1/3 of the shots while he was on the court. Basically, when we scored he was usually the reason why we scored. He will not have anywhere near this level of responsibility at any point in his NBA career.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Stack and Scottie have a really good relationship and we can thank Scottie a lot for us getting another year with Jr. We all know the shortcomings of our offense the last couple of years (which consisted primarily of Scotty) and how that affected what he could do otherwise on the court. I don't see what Sr. said as critical of Vandy as much as stating reality- and, as was pointed out, being the No. 1 fan of his son. I REALLY hope Jr. makes some noise in the NBA.
Rudder01
Seaman

Post by Rudder01 »

always worried about what scottie is going to say in interviews these days. they were brave to have him on but yeh is pretty special to see your son not get drafted but still mixing it up in vegas.
Locked Previous topicNext topic