Summer league guys of local interest

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Summer league guys of local interest

Post by MrMemorial »

A partial list...
Simi Shittu - Indiana Pacers
Matt Ryan - Boston Celtics (also listed as Cleveland?)
Brandon Key - Detroit Pistons
Payton Willis - Golden State
SPjr - L A Lakers
Charles Bassey - Philly 76ers
Keon Johnson - Portland Trailblazers
Aaron Nesmith - listed as Boston but really Indy Pacers
Kenyon Martin Jr - Houston Rockets
Kenneth Faried- Portland Trailblazer

Thing have moving parts, so due to trades, etc. take this list with a grain of salt. For now.

Jason94
Admiral

Re: Summer league guys of local interest

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:36 pm A partial list...
Simi Shittu - Indiana Pacers
Matt Ryan - Boston Celtics (also listed as Cleveland?)
Brandon Key - Detroit Pistons
Payton Willis - Golden State
SPjr - L A Lakers
Charles Bassey - Philly 76ers
Keon Johnson - Portland Trailblazers
Aaron Nesmith - listed as Boston but really Indy Pacers
Kenyon Martin Jr - Houston Rockets
Kenneth Faried- Portland Trailblazer

Thing have moving parts, so due to trades, etc. take this list with a grain of salt. For now.
While some my find this unimportant, Pippen had 15 points, 8 assists and 3 steals in under 20 minutes in the summer league yesterday. Looked really good in the highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ego1-zQVLw

Perhaps Pippen had a little to do with our success last season after all?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Hmm. Guy looks like a ball player to me.

Admit I was a little concerned due to his physicality being average by NBA standards. However, it is interesting how your assist numbers can be high if surrounded by athletes who move and finish well.

Thanks for the link ! Wish Scottie the best.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

I don’t know whether any of you saw it, but there’s a highlight clip of SPjr driving for a falling-down And 1 that he makes before crashing to the floor in the photographer’s pit on the baseline. Two teammates and a rather famous basketball star immediately helped him up. LeBron was a little too vigorous because he almost pulled Scottie off of his feet. But it was a nice moment.

On a less publicised but more substantive note, another superstar Laker, Russell Westbrook, was questioned on some sites (e.g. The Athletic) because he was on the opposite end from LeBron and never made a pilgrimage to see His Lordship. 🙄 But what they omitted was that he was actually behind the Lakers’ bench the whole time. Scottie said that he was struggling in the early going because Phoenix was keying on pressuring him, as he was the Lakers’ only real ballhandler. That led to a bunch of TOs until Westbrook talked to him about how to avoid what they were doing. And his advice actually solved Phoenix’s defensive pressure. I thought that was pretty cool. 😎
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

TwoSaints wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:07 pm I don’t know whether any of you saw it, but there’s a highlight clip of SPjr driving for a falling-down And 1 that he makes before crashing to the floor in the photographer’s pit on the baseline. Two teammates and a rather famous basketball star immediately helped him up. LeBron was a little too vigorous because he almost pulled Scottie off of his feet. But it was a nice moment.

On a less publicised but more substantive note, another superstar Laker, Russell Westbrook, was questioned on some sites (e.g. The Athletic) because he was on the opposite end from LeBron and never made a pilgrimage to see His Lordship. 🙄 But what they omitted was that he was actually behind the Lakers’ bench the whole time. Scottie said that he was struggling in the early going because Phoenix was keying on pressuring him, as he was the Lakers’ only real ballhandler. That led to a bunch of TOs until Westbrook talked to him about how to avoid what they were doing. And his advice actually solved Phoenix’s defensive pressure. I thought that was pretty cool. 😎
Stack was there watching the game as well, and received some nice exposure on the broadcast.

He also talked to His Lordship:
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:56 pm
Stack was there watching the game as well, and received some nice exposure on the broadcast.

This kind of thing has to help recruiting.
Is there any other college coach with Stack's NBA currency? I know there are ex NBA players coaching but Stack is the only one I can think of who feels like part of the modern era.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Matt Ryan

Post by underdog74 »

Matt is having a great summer league. He hit a game winner and is crushing it beyond the arc. This is a great interview with him. It is wild to think all of the NBA guys Vandy had in the locker room at one time.

VUinFL
Commander

Post by VUinFL »

alathIN wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:06 am
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:56 pm

This kind of thing has to help recruiting.
Is there any other college coach with Stack's NBA currency? I know there are ex NBA players coaching but Stack is the only one I can think of who feels like part of the modern era.
@VandyMBB posted a clip of Stackhouse doing a radio interview at the summer league and Alvin Gentry walked by and they said hello to each other and Gentry said something like "if you want to learn how to play in the NBA then go to Vanderbilt"...I thought that was a nice shoutout to the program...recruits know this stuff
Rudder01
Seaman

Post by Rudder01 »

think it is nesmith year to explode. think he would be a really good high volume guy next to lebron or maybe luka.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Rudder01 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:24 am think it is nesmith year to explode. think he would be a really good high volume guy next to lebron or maybe luka.
For whatever reason Boston didn't see Nesmith as an integral part of their rotation, so hopefully a change of scenery will help him. Lee could also use another home. Both are still very young at 21 and 22 respectively.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Rudder01 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:24 am think it is nesmith year to explode. think he would be a really good high volume guy next to lebron or maybe luka.
What about a big...say, Deandre Ayton? :?
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Good story on Nesmith's summer league debut: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/n ... 818618001/
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:31 pm
What about a big...say, Deandre Ayton? :?
Or not, as it appears he is staying in Phoenix.
Rudder01
Seaman

Post by Rudder01 »

nesmith and ayton could be a sweet 1-2 punch if he can set aaron up with some catch and shoot 3s
Rudder01
Seaman

Post by Rudder01 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:33 pm Good story on Nesmith's summer league debut: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/n ... 818618001/
thanks!
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Rudder01 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:49 am nesmith and ayton could be a sweet 1-2 punch if he can set aaron up with some catch and shoot 3s
Yeah, Ayton's no longer a possibility for the Pacers. (Because Phoenix matched Indiana's offer sheet, he can't be traded to any team for six months and to Indiana for 12 months--and even then only if he agrees to the trade.) But I like the situation Aaron's in Indiana much better than Boston. First, Carlisle's a great coach, who really values smart veterans who can shoot and defend. If Aaron can regain his former accuracy as a shooter, Carlisle will play him. And if he can also develop a bit more as a creator, especially in the pick-and-roll, Carlisle will love him. He's very much the kind of player that Carlisle did so well with in Dallas. Second, Indiana has shifted full-throttle into developmental mode, so Aaron will get a real chance to show what he can do on the floor (which he couldn't really do in Boston). Third, he's a nice fit with Buddy Hield, Tyrese Haliburton and Benedict Mathurin on the perimeter. All three are very good shooters and Hali and Mathurin are also really good at penetrating and hitting the open man. I expect Aaron will get a lot of spot-up threes, especially when plays with Haliburton. And if he plays much alongside Hield, he'll be left wide open.

I also think Myles Turner might be even a better fit with him than Ayton would've been. Turner's a much better shot-blocker, so he can clean up Aaron's one real weakness on defense (quick perimeter guys like D'Aaron Fox or Jalen Green beating him on penetrations). And Turner's both an excellent lob target and a good shooter, so he'd be a good partner if Aaron really develops his pick-and-roll game. Finally, Aaron will obviously be backing up Hield and Duarte for now. But man, if they pair him with TJ McConnell, Andrew Nembhard, Jalen Smith, and either Daniel Theis (for a big look) or Chris Duarte (for a small one)... That is a really wicked, disruptive bench mob. Those guys can all get after it on defense. Indiana's got some really good young players who just need experience and chemistry.

But... As Carlisle hinted, I don't think this is going to be their roster. Indiana and San Antonio are the two teams sitting on the sidelines right now with tons of young players, draft picks, and a lot of cap space. Both are clearly happy to help teams like the Lakers (Russell Westbrook), Utah (Donovan Mitchell) and Brooklyn (Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant) that have very highly paid players that they are looking to move. All of those teams are way over the cap, so they have no flexibility. But San Antonio and Indiana have the cap space to take on a player like Westbrook in exchange for draft picks or other talented players. And both have veteran shooters and interior defenders who could fit right in on a contender. So, don't be surprised if you hear that Indiana's involved in a big trade with one of those teams and either Buddy Hield, TJ McConnell, or Myles Turner are playing somewhere else this season. Either way, it's a much better opportunity than Aaron had in Boston, where he was stuck on the bench behind Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.
Locked Previous topicNext topic