Recruiting

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Recruiting

Post by commadore »

We must be about to get a commit from Isiah West. I see he just lost a star and is now a three star.

CoachH
Petty Officer

Re: Recruiting

Post by CoachH »

Isaiah is a classy young man with a very high I Q . He is also an extremely talented basketball player. He comes from a great family in Springfield Tennessee. We would be extremely fortunate to sign him . He is one of the finest young men that I have ever had the privilege to have coached in middle school. He is a star in the making!
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

thanx for this iw insider info, coachh. fingers crossed....
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

CoachH wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:24 pm Isaiah is a classy young man with a very high I Q . He is also an extremely talented basketball player. He comes from a great family in Springfield Tennessee. We would be extremely fortunate to sign him . He is one of the finest young men that I have ever had the privilege to have coached in middle school. He is a star in the making!
I went to the same high school. The senior high basketball program started my sophomore year. I didn't play roundball, but was on the first two football and track tems. Most of the kids coming out of that school are good kids. Not all, but the vast majority.
CoachH
Petty Officer

Post by CoachH »

He will be announcing his decision tomorrow at 2:00 at Spring field middle school!
I pray that he anchors down! .
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

CoachH wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:24 pm Isaiah is a classy young man with a very high I Q . He is also an extremely talented basketball player. He comes from a great family in Springfield Tennessee. We would be extremely fortunate to sign him . He is one of the finest young men that I have ever had the privilege to have coached in middle school. He is a star in the making!
Looks good, but is interesting that he is another PG. We have Manjon with two more seasons, and Shelby and Lewis will be freshmen. On the one had he is listed as a combo guard and a recent article lists him at 6'-3", which indicates that he could play the off guard spot and handle that position defensively. OTOH the 247 site lists him at 6'-1", and the same article notes that CJS has recruited him as a PG.

https://247sports.com/Article/Isaiah-We ... 182306150/

There could be a pretty massive logjam at the point next season, but I would anticipate at least 1 point guard will transfer by the end of the season. Possibly two. One of our PG's is almost certainly going to play some 2 guard next season as well - best bets are Lawrence and Shelby due to their size. I wonder if Shelby was recruited explicitly to play the off guard given how aggressively we've been recruiting point guards recently. I assume he's given up on playing Lawrence of Thomas at the point and needed someone knowing Pippen was leaving. Adding Manjon to Shelby would have been a pretty good solution, and adding Lewis is providing backup. I get wanting to have depth, but at the same time with 5 positions to fill and just 13 scholarships, using 4 of them on PG's (5 this season even though Thomas and Lawrence haven't shown that they are SEC level points) does run the risk of leaving the team thin at other positions, which we are at the 2 and 3, with really Wright being the only true wing on the team, with Smith/Stute potentially being able to play the 3 as well, but their not likely fitting in at the 2.

It will be interesting to see if/how CJS tries to rebalance the roster from a positional standpoint.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:23 pm
Looks good, but is interesting that he is another PG. We have Manjon with two more seasons, and Shelby and Lewis will be freshmen. On the one had he is listed as a combo guard and a recent article lists him at 6'-3", which indicates that he could play the off guard spot and handle that position defensively. OTOH the 247 site lists him at 6'-1", and the same article notes that CJS has recruited him as a PG.

https://247sports.com/Article/Isaiah-We ... 182306150/

There could be a pretty massive logjam at the point next season, but I would anticipate at least 1 point guard will transfer by the end of the season. Possibly two. One of our PG's is almost certainly going to play some 2 guard next season as well - best bets are Lawrence and Shelby due to their size. I wonder if Shelby was recruited explicitly to play the off guard given how aggressively we've been recruiting point guards recently. I assume he's given up on playing Lawrence of Thomas at the point and needed someone knowing Pippen was leaving. Adding Manjon to Shelby would have been a pretty good solution, and adding Lewis is providing backup. I get wanting to have depth, but at the same time with 5 positions to fill and just 13 scholarships, using 4 of them on PG's (5 this season even though Thomas and Lawrence haven't shown that they are SEC level points) does run the risk of leaving the team thin at other positions, which we are at the 2 and 3, with really Wright being the only true wing on the team, with Smith/Stute potentially being able to play the 3 as well, but their not likely fitting in at the 2.

It will be interesting to see if/how CJS tries to rebalance the roster from a positional standpoint.
We also offered a 2024 PG today, Tyler Tanner of Brentwood Academy.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I see we now have three players showing "WARM" on the prospect list.

Isaiah West
Goodpasture Christian School (Madison, TN)
6-1 / 170
148 23 1
Warm
+10 others

Carter Lang
St. Anne's-Belfield School (Charlottesville, VA)
6-9 / 220
134 19 4
Warm
+14 others

Michael Nwoko
Prolific Prep (Napa, CA)
6-9 / 240
199 26 8
Warm
+22 others

Would be really nice to get West and at least one of the others.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

onward and upward
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

commadore wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:56 am I see we now have three players showing "WARM" on the prospect list.

Isaiah West
Goodpasture Christian School (Madison, TN)
6-1 / 170
148 23 1
Warm
+10 others

Carter Lang
St. Anne's-Belfield School (Charlottesville, VA)
6-9 / 220
134 19 4
Warm
+14 others

Michael Nwoko
Prolific Prep (Napa, CA)
6-9 / 240
199 26 8
Warm
+22 others

Would be really nice to get West and at least one of the others.
Be nice to get all 3 if we have the room...
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

247 now has west with 6 crystal ball votes to VU! Now, if he goes back up a star, then it's false information...
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:29 pm 247 now has west with 6 crystal ball votes to VU! Now, if he goes back up a star, then it's false information...
If the decision is truly supposed to come today, then that is a very auspicious sign if history is any guide. Stars are good as a general guide, but how good a player West doesn't change +/- a star.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I misread that. It was one crystal ball prediction to VU with a confidence level of six.
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

West committed to Vandy. Highlights look fantastic from his soph year pre injury
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Same high school as Drew Maddox, Ron Mercer and Sam Howard.
CoachH
Petty Officer

Post by CoachH »

Issaiah just committed to Vanderbilt today at 2:00
Locked Previous topicNext topic