NBA draft is tonight

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

NBA draft is tonight

Post by MrMemorial »

If you don't like the NBA there is no requirement to hijack this thread to say you hate the NBA.

Otherwise, this is what it looks like for SEC players:

Jabari Smith (Auburn) probable first pick of the first round
Shaedon Sharpe (UK - sort of) possible top-ten, didn't ever really play college ball
Tari Eason (LSU) probable mid-first round
Walker Kessler (Auburn) anywhere from late first to early second
Kennedy Chandler (uut) anywhere from late first to mid-second
Jaylin Williams (Arky) mid-second round
JD Davison (Bama) mid to late second round
Keon Ellis (Bama) mid second to undrafted free agent
Scottie Pippen Jr (VU) mid second to undrafted free agent
Iverson Molinar (Miss. St.) mid second to undrafted free agent
JD Notae (Arky) undrafted free agent
Stan Umude (Arky) undrafted free agent
Darius Days (LSU) undrafted free agent

other names of interest:
Payton Willis (various colleges) will sign as undrafted free agent
Tevin Brown (Murray) late second to undrafted free agent
Murphy and Muszynski (Belmont) possibly invited to NBA summer league

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Re: NBA draft is tonight

Post by underdog74 »

I was shocked that Oscar Tshiebwe did not enter the draft. Woulda been a top 5 pick? Oh well, will probably make more $ in Lexington.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

underdog74 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:49 am I was shocked that Oscar Tshiebwe did not enter the draft. Woulda been a top 5 pick? Oh well, will probably make more $ in Lexington.
The last mock draft I saw him in said second round. He blocks lots of shots but doesn't have extraordinary skills on offense by NBA standards. Kofi Cockburn was thought at one time to be first round big man and is now listed as undrafted free agent most mocks. Koloko from Arizona maybe have dropped to the second round. Those guys are much taller than Tshiebwe. What the NBA wants is changing.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

I HATE THE NBA. A BUNCH OF OVERPAID
Sorry, Mr., i couldn't resist. I do hope SPJ has a long pro career, but i don't see him as prototypical NBA.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:26 pm
underdog74 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:49 am I was shocked that Oscar Tshiebwe did not enter the draft. Woulda been a top 5 pick? Oh well, will probably make more $ in Lexington.
The last mock draft I saw him in said second round. He blocks lots of shots but doesn't have extraordinary skills on offense by NBA standards. Kofi Cockburn was thought at one time to be first round big man and is now listed as undrafted free agent most mocks. Koloko from Arizona maybe have dropped to the second round. Those guys are much taller than Tshiebwe. What the NBA wants is changing.
Tshiebwe actually didn't have a particularly high block rate - his rate was almost identical to QMB's block rate, and while QMB definitely played good defense last year he isn't a premier shot blocker like Walker Kessler. Tshiebwe has really good size, but not great height, and is a fantastic rebounder, but not off the charts in terms of athleticism. I agree that he isn't greatly skilled, as he doesn't have a great jump shot and didn't even bother taken a three point shot, and shot from the line below 70% on a high volume of attempts. He doesn't seem like the type of player that you base your franchise upon, which would make it more difficult to spend a high draft pick upon. The question I would have is how much can he improve his draft stock without essentially maximizing his body, and how high is his athletic ceiling?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Go Vandy! wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:41 pm I HATE THE NBA. A BUNCH OF OVERPAID
Sorry, Mr., i couldn't resist. I do hope SPJ has a long pro career, but i don't see him as prototypical NBA.

NBA players are overpaid? A few are. What about tonight's late first round draft pick his first three years?
1.6 million a year then a bit more the next two.

Compare to MLB's Max Scherzer...43 mil/year. Or NFL's Aaron Rodgers' $50.2 million per year? The payroll this year for the Mets and Dodgers? Over 260 million each.

But it does disappoint me that the Preds can't decide if they are going to keep Forsberg and pay him 9 million a year and if they will pony up for a backup goalie so they won't get swept in four blowouts in the first round of the postseason. The Billy Beane small market moneyball thing will only get you so far. Last season I didn't go to one single Preds game for the first time in forever because of their payroll penny-pinching ways.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:05 pm
Go Vandy! wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:41 pm I HATE THE NBA. A BUNCH OF OVERPAID

NBA players are overpaid? A few are. What about tonight's late first round draft pick his first three years?
1.6 million a year then a bit more the next two.

Compare to MLB's Max Scherzer...43 mil/year. Or NFL's Aaron Rodgers' $50.2 million per year? The payroll this year for the Mets and Dodgers? Over 260 million each.

But it does disappoint me that the Preds can't decide if they are going to keep Forsberg and pay him 9 million a year and if they will pony up for a backup goalie so they won't get swept in four blowouts in the first round of the postseason. The Billy Beane small market moneyball thing will only get you so far. Last season I didn't go to one single Preds game for the first time in forever because of their payroll penny-pinching ways.
Apples and oranges comparing a late 1st rounder to the top paid players in another sport.
In the 2021 MLB Draft, the #1 pick was slotted at $8.415 million, while the #29 pick was slotted at $2.424 Million. Those are guidelines, and players can sign for over or under slot, but the Pirates entire draft allotment was $14 million, so #1 wasn't going to get more than that.
In the 2021 NBA Draft, the #1 pick could expect to sign a 4-year $40 million contract, with the first 2 years guaranteed. The #30 pick could expect to sign for around $2 million a year, with the first 2 guaranteed. I think I would rather be a top NBA pick.
The NBA in the 21-22 season had 31 players that made over $30 Million in salary, and 123 players making at least $10 million annually. NBA and MLB contracts are guaranteed, unlike the NFL. There were 13 MLB players making $30+ Million, and 131 making $10+ million, on rosters that are twice the size of an NBA roster. Of the 3 athletes that are billionaires, two were/are NBA players (and Tiger Woods). I would much rather be a top NBA player than any other sport.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I would love to be in the NBA compared to the NFL.

Smaller chance of massive head injury.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

NBA has the highest average salary per player of any of the pro sports. And I'm not sure it is even close. Having the smallest rosters probably helps that.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:04 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:26 pm
Tshiebwe actually didn't have a particularly high block rate - his rate was almost identical to QMB's block rate, and while QMB definitely played good defense last year he isn't a premier shot blocker like Walker Kessler. Tshiebwe has really good size, but not great height, and is a fantastic rebounder, but not off the charts in terms of athleticism. I agree that he isn't greatly skilled, as he doesn't have a great jump shot and didn't even bother taken a three point shot, and shot from the line below 70% on a high volume of attempts. He doesn't seem like the type of player that you base your franchise upon, which would make it more difficult to spend a high draft pick upon. The question I would have is how much can he improve his draft stock without essentially maximizing his body, and how high is his athletic ceiling?
Everybody is right!! Tshiebwe specifically referenced the NIL money in his decision to return to UK, knowing that he is not really taking a huge financial hit by delaying his NBA career by a year. But at the same time, I also agree there are concerns that he's a betty college player than pro.

That said, there has GOT to be a place for him as a productive NBA player. I know that the league doesn't really have Charles Oakley type guys anymore, but I feel like Tshiebwe's NBA floor is as a solid rebounder, post defender, rim protector who can be exposed by small lineups. Given the inherent risk in the NBA draft, you have to think a guy that projects so confidently as a 10 year rotation player would get significant attention.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Pippen not drafted....I am sure he will sign somewhere as a free agent.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
AirForceDore
Rear Admiral

Post by AirForceDore »

2-way contract with the Lakers for Pippen
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Yeah, the NBA is in a weird place with big men right now. Guys who can't cover NBA wings in space (and how many true big men can?) will get "played off the floor" in the playoffs against teams that hunt them in switches. Look at Utah the last two years. They've been a great regular season team with Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell. But they got torched two years in a row by teams that figured out that if they put a bunch of athletic mid-sized players who can shoot on the floor, Utah couldn't adapt. (In Utah's case, Gobert is actually pretty good at switching. But Mitchell is a terrible defender and Conley can't handle big wings at all and Utah's defense is built like team from the 90s where you funnel people toward the middle. That left Gobert on an island getting roasted by guys like Terrence Mann. Dallas did the exact same thing this year to Utah and then again a round later this year to Phoenix, playing Deandre Ayton off the floor in a blowout. So slower big men like Tshiebwe (or Drew Timme, or all those big men at Purdue) have suddenly seen their value plummet, while smaller and quicker ones who can switch onto little guys (like Pascal Siakam and Chris Boucher in Toronto, or Brandon Clarke in Memphis) or ones who can shoot and pass (Nikola Jokic, obviously, but Al Horford and even Luke Kornet in Boston) are suddenly in heavy demand. When you combine that with the new NIL windfall, why would a guy like Tshiebwe "turn pro" when he can make more money as a star at Kentucky?
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

So I know you're a Memphis fan, Mr. Memorial. What did you think of how the Grizzlies did? I thought trading two picks to move up for LaRavia was... interesting. I suppose it's possible they had intel that somebody else might take him before they could. He seems like a possible keeper, but it's hard to tell how well his range of skills will translate. But I thought they did very well to get David Roddy. He's a classic West Coast sleeper. (Exec to Scout: "Yes, yes, I'm sure he's great. But I'm not staying up until 3 am to watch Colorado State play a game against Utah State. And have you seen the measurements on this Eason kid? Yeah, I know he couldn't break the starting lineup at either Cincinnati or LSU. But I saw him make five straight threes at the combine. Your guy's 6'6" and 260 and didn't play well in 3-on-3, so I'm taking the Eason kid!" Happens every year...). Roddy's a lot like Grant Williams in some ways, although not as good of a defender. But he's a surprisingly good defender nonetheless and he can pass, shoot, drive in traffic, and rebound. I thought that was a great pick. And I guess I understand the logic in trading Melton to cut salary. They would've had a hard time re-signing Tyus Jones without that move (and may yet find it difficult). But for Philly to get Melton and get the Grizzlies to take on a badly injured Danny Green's $10 million expiring contract, all just for a late first? Daryl Morey's gotta be happy about how that turned out.

I'm sure you've noticed that I'm a San Antonio fan. This draft was crucial for them. A lot of Spurs fans were unhappy with their moves, especially taking Wesley. But man, I thought they nailed Every. Single. Pick. Sochan is a steal at #9 in my opinion. He's like the love-child of Boris Diaw and Dennis Rodman (ew). Or maybe a half-Polish Dave Cowens who changes his hair color every week. And Malaki Branham... That guy's good already and a true gym rat. And they're both very Spurs-ey guys: Intelligent, good teammates, as happy to play D or pass to the open man as they are to score, and hard workers. The interesting one was Blake Wesley at #25. He's super talented but really raw and inconsistent. He might be an all-star... or he might be the one to drive Pop to the edge (although if coaching Steven Jackson--twice!--didn't' do it, it's hard to see how anybody could). All three of them just need to become better shooters--and where better to do that than in San Antonio with Chip Engelland, Czar of All the Shot Doctors? So that was pretty cool. (I do wish they'd kept Kennedy Chandler, following in the tradition of guys like Kyle Lowry, Isaiah Thomas, and Jalen Brunson as an excellent player who was overlooked purely because of his listed height. Dude's going to be on a mission to make 29 teams pay for that.)

I thought Orlando was idiotic in picking Banchero. Sure maybe he fits their need for shot creation better than Smith, who's essentially a gigantic, rim-protecting 3-and-D guy. But why not trade with Houston and pick up an asset? Banchero would've still been there! And Sacramento! 🤦🏻‍♂️ I mean... This isn't as bad as taking Marvin Bagley over Luka Doncic. It's not even as bad as trading Tyreese Halliburton because he doesn't fit with D'Aaron Fox. But still... I don't think they're going to be very happy about passing on Ivey. He has Vince Carter-like potential. Keegan Murray's, who they drafted instead, is really good. Again, though, why not trade down with Detroit, so you can still draft Murray and at least pick up an asset or two? How many times are they going to hurt themselves just so they can roll with Fox? Crazy.

Detroit, though... At the start of this week, they had the #5 pick in a four-star draft, a good bit of cap space in a bad year for free agents, and a disgruntled free agent in Jeremy Grant for whom they were getting very unattractive offers. Today they've got enough cap space for a full max plus the mid-level (time to put Miles Bridges' agent on speed-dial), a super-talented 18-year old big man in Jalen Duren, and perhaps the most gifted player in the draft in Jaden Ivey--who's a perfect fit on the perimeter with Cade Cunningham and Saadiq Bey. Not bad, not bad at all.

Finally... Good luck to the announcers in Oklahoma City, who now have to somehow call summer league games with Jalen Williams and Jaylin Williams on the same team.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I liked the Vince Williams late pick (VCU) more than Roddy. Williams had a good game vs Vandy last season - 14 points included 4-8 from three. He shot 39% and 41% from 3 the last two seasons. At 6-6 and 210 he's the classic big guard / small forward. Roddy at 261 pounds looks like an NFL middle linebacker.

I think this year's draft set a record for guys named Jaylin/Jalen/Jaylen/Jaden etc and how many different ways to spell said names.

LaRavia must be known to have the ability to hit NBA range three pointers. He's going to be valuable.

Green will be cut before the ink dries. Or part of some convoluted trade.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I thought a few of you Preds fans might get a kick out of this.

Take a look at who Memphis drafted at the end of the first round last night.

After Ja's injury on a dirty play in the playoffs, were they thinking "enforcer" ala NHL... to find a designated a55-kicker to blow somebody up on the other team if they even think about it? He looks like a guy who can handle his business. Don't you think?
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:20 am I liked the Vince Williams late pick (VCU) more than Roddy. Williams had a good game vs Vandy last season - 14 points included 4-8 from three. He shot 39% and 41% from 3 the last two seasons. At 6-6 and 210 he's the classic big guard / small forward. Roddy at 261 pounds looks like an NFL middle linebacker.

I think this year's draft set a record for guys named Jaylin/Jalen/Jaylen/Jaden etc and how many different ways to spell said names.

LaRavia must be known to have the ability to hit NBA range three pointers. He's going to be valuable.

Yeah, his contract is on a team option for one more year at about $10 million. I think Memphis has to guarantee SOME of it for him to be traded. I imagine they’ll guarantee him as little as possible under the CBA in order to save as much salary cap space as they can for Tyus Jones.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

TwoSaints wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:15 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:20 am I liked the Vince Williams late pick (VCU) more than Roddy. Williams had a good game vs Vandy last season - 14 points included 4-8 from three. He shot 39% and 41% from 3 the last two seasons. At 6-6 and 210 he's the classic big guard / small forward. Roddy at 261 pounds looks like an NFL middle linebacker.

Yeah, his contract is on a team option for one more year at about $10 million. I think Memphis has to guarantee SOME of it for him to be traded. I imagine they’ll guarantee him as little as possible under the CBA in order to save as much salary cap space as they can for Tyus Jones.
It was either on the Grizz Team Talk forum or the Grizz reddit where it came out that Memphis can get out from under Green's contract for as low as 5 mil. Green 5 years ago = maybe a keeper. But they got that Mike Miller style player from Wake Forest (LaRavia), no need for a designated 3-point shooter guy now.
Locked Previous topicNext topic