duke basketball....

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

docdore
Vice Admiral

duke basketball....

Post by docdore »

has hired a new general manager "to help players with nil opportunities". that's what the competition is now and it doesn't seem to resemble amateur athletics and we have thought we have known them. maybe those who say the cheating is just legal now are correct....?

oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Re: duke basketball....

Post by oakparkDore »

CJ Stroud, the tOSU QB, just got a Bentley. Legally.

By comparison, Eric Dickerson, who I consider one of the all time greats, “only” got a gold Trans Am from SMU.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

docdore wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:32 am has hired a new general manager "to help players with nil opportunities". that's what the competition is now and it doesn't seem to resemble amateur athletics and we have thought we have known them. maybe those who say the cheating is just legal now are correct....?
This is true. This is no longer amateur athletics. This is pro sports where the athletes are also required to attend class, I mean also be students, I mean keep a minimum 1.0 GPA.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

mathguy wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:00 am
docdore wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:32 am has hired a new general manager "to help players with nil opportunities". that's what the competition is now and it doesn't seem to resemble amateur athletics and we have thought we have known them. maybe those who say the cheating is just legal now are correct....?
This is true. This is no longer amateur athletics. This is pro sports where the athletes are also required to attend class, I mean also be students, I mean keep a minimum 1.0 GPA.
or at least attend practice occasionally .
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

oakparkDore wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:27 am CJ Stroud, the tOSU QB, just got a Bentley. Legally.

By comparison, Eric Dickerson, who I consider one of the all time greats, “only” got a gold Trans Am from SMU.
This is insanity . So many of the arguments in favor of NIL tried to make the point that many athletes came from financially disadvantaged backgrounds and needed money to meet normal out of pocket expenses or help out the family. How in the hell (sorry mods, I am angry) does a BENTLEY address this ?!?

It is becoming very hard for me to want to cheer for any of these prima donnas.
A32Win
Ensign

Ohio State: Ryan Day estimates $13 million needed in NIL money to maintain Ohio State football roster

Post by A32Win »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/c-j-stroud-g ... 25583.html

As C.J. Stroud gets a Bentley, former Ohio State QB Quinn Ewer got an Aston Martin

Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud landed a Bentley Bentayga on Wednesday in an NIL deal, but he's not the only 2021 Buckeye football player who seems to be riding in style.

Former Ohio State quarterback Quinn Ewers, the highest-rated recruit to ever sign with the Buckeyes, is driving his own expensive luxury vehicle.

Texas sophomore receiver Xavier Worthy, a former Michigan recruit who changed his mind and went to Texas last year, posted on social media Wednesday that Ewers, who transferred to Texas this off season, was driving an Aston Martin.

NIL at Ohio State: Ryan Day estimates $13 million needed in NIL money to maintain Ohio State football roster

Ewers has an NIL deal with a local Aston Martin dealership, and he is the second Longhorn to be part of such an arrangement. Bijan Robinson, star running back for Texas, signed an NIL deal with Lamborghini of Austin last month.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

OldDude wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:14 am
oakparkDore wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:27 am CJ Stroud, the tOSU QB, just got a Bentley. Legally.

This is insanity . So many of the arguments in favor of NIL tried to make the point that many athletes came from financially disadvantaged backgrounds and needed money to meet normal out of pocket expenses or help out the family. How in the hell (sorry mods, I am angry) does a BENTLEY address this ?!?

Those arguments are not the best arguments for NIL though. They may have been an argument that some made, but they were not the correct ones. NIL should have been in play because the players should be able to use their NIL to earn compensation.

All of those are separate and apart from the conversation of whether or not its good for college football. It probably isn't, but I'm unsure if that should be the driving force in the decision.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

vandy05 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:48 pm

Those arguments are not the best arguments for NIL though. They may have been an argument that some made, but they were not the correct ones. NIL should have been in play because the players should be able to use their NIL to earn compensation.

All of those are separate and apart from the conversation of whether or not its good for college football. It probably isn't, but I'm unsure if that should be the driving force in the decision.
Fair enough, but the NIL structure makes me think of the relationship between singer and songwriter. If a song is performed generating income, the performer gets a cut and (assuming the writer is another person) the writer also gets a percentage for having created/provided the music that makes the performance generate revenue. It seems that NIL is very similar. The college creates and funds the environment in which these athletes develop their image; shouldn't the school get a cut of the endorsements ? Are copyright issues not being created as well ? Without the sport, be it football, basketball , whatever, these athletes are just one more student having to fund his own education or kid working to earn a living.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

I am going to laugh my @$$ off when the IRS comes and wants $100,000 tax on that Bentley. Think any of the guys will have thought that far in advance?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

commadore wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:03 pm I am going to laugh my @$$ off when the IRS comes and wants $100,000 tax on that Bentley. Think any of the guys will have thought that far in advance?
We can only hope. I figure his teammates like the OL who do all the dirty work got what , a Schwinn ?
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

OldDude wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:40 pm
vandy05 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:48 pm

Fair enough, but the NIL structure makes me think of the relationship between singer and songwriter. If a song is performed generating income, the performer gets a cut and (assuming the writer is another person) the writer also gets a percentage for having created/provided the music that makes the performance generate revenue. It seems that NIL is very similar. The college creates and funds the environment in which these athletes develop their image; shouldn't the school get a cut of the endorsements ? Are copyright issues not being created as well ? Without the sport, be it football, basketball , whatever, these athletes are just one more student having to fund his own education or kid working to earn a living.
That's a good analogy. However, I think the kids getting the NIL money is basically the kids now getting a cut of the endorsements that the schools have always gotten. I think a robust debate could be had about whether or not the scholarship was a fair cut of the endorsements and the available money. 50 or 60 years ago I think the answer was very likely yes. But as the sport became more and more about money and less and less about educating young people, the equation changed.

This change is certainly not good for intercollegiate athletics, but they are reaping what has been sown unfortunately.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

vandy05 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:59 am
This change is certainly not good for intercollegiate athletics, but they are reaping what has been sown unfortunately.

Not good for the fans either, I would argue, and I ain't sowed nothing.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Duke basketball reminds me of something totally else but still somewhat related. UNC basketball. And that powder blue color they wear. The Houston-Memphis-Nashville Oilers had that color for a long time but the current overrated team had gotten away from it. Maybe they should have kept it and instead of worrying about the color scheme of the uniforms, they could have worried about NOT drafting busts. Like Locker and Mariota.

But you know what else that reminds me of? For those of you old enough to remember pastel color TP, you know... so it would match the drapes in the can or at least be the color your favorite sports team wears (UNC blue comes to mind)... then all of a sudden somebody (with no proof to back it up that I recall hearing about) decides it was bad for your skin or something... and all of a sudden one day you go into Kroger and there is no more color TP. After all, that was around the same time Michael Jackson set his hair on fire singing about Pepsi and they didn't ban disco dancing, or flammable jheri curls, or cold drinks. Or disco dancing while singing about soft drinks.

But that's a different story for a different day.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Looks like Amazon has some in colors that is hypoallergenic and made from bamboo.

I had some of the bamboo paper towel from (Target??) a while back. It seemed good.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

I guess I missed the part where college basketball was ever an amateur sport. I mean, maybe at the intramural level, sure. But these guys have always been professionals: A full scholarship to Vanderbilt has been over $100,000 for a long time.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

TwoSaints wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:17 pm I guess I missed the part where college basketball was ever an amateur sport. I mean, maybe at the intramural level, sure. But these guys have always been professionals: A full scholarship to Vanderbilt has been over $100,000 for a long time.
Legitimate comment. The VU website lists the annual cost of attending Vandy as about $84,400 (tuition, housing, meals, books, etc). Some majors and situations carry additional fees.

Americans whose individual incomes exceed $84,000 are approximately in the 79th percentile. Definitely could consider them professionals. My folks gave up a lot and I spread gravel, laid pipe and poured concrete in summers to cover VU costs (MUCH lower then :lol: ). A full ride would have been manna from heaven.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

I am in a small minority, I know. But i don't see how a free ride helps a student while he is in school. His/her parents, absolutely. But it wasn't too long ago student/athletes got $0 above the scholarship-related expenses, couldn't take an outside job, literally had to depend on their parents for every bit of spending money. I wish the NCAA had installed an across-the-board payment system on top of "cost of attendance", which itself is fairly recent- 10-12 years? Instead the NCAA punted, and we have the NIL mess. I won't be sorry to see the NCAA go away.

To even isolate myself further from the mainstream mindset, big-time college athletics not only were not "amateur" until the moment NIL kicked in, they haven't been for decades. There were "$100 handshakes" in the 50s, when $100 was more than lunch money. There were cars "provided" athletes in the 60s. And a ton of money paid in secret before... and since.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

I think you would have a hard time selling your free ride not being helpful argument to the millions of students who have paid off or are still paying off student loans.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

I'm just saying it didn't allow them much, if any (for a long time), spending money while they were in school.
Locked Previous topicNext topic