Some former player transfer portal news

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Some former player transfer portal news

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Terren Frank committed to Idaho over the weekend.

Meanwhile, Shane Dezonie withdrew his commitment to St. Joe's tonight and will remain in the transfer portal.

Nashmann
Admiral

Re: Some former player transfer portal news

Post by Nashmann »

A shame Dezonie left :( but don't want anyone here who doesn't want to be.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

Face firmly planted in palm of hand on Dezonie's decision making.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

On the surface, we need to get better at player retention or we’re gonna have problems. I know we’re not unique with this problem, but we must recruit a different kind of player. I’ve been saying this in the football forum also.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

buffy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:20 pm On the surface, we need to get better at player retention or we’re gonna have problems. I know we’re not unique with this problem, but we must recruit a different kind of player. I’ve been saying this in the football forum also.
I think the problem is, just like hiring candidates after the interview process, you never really know how a person will work out, or what their motives are, until they start the job.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

underdog74 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:19 am Face firmly planted in palm of hand on Dezonie's decision making.
shouldn't vu's demanding academic program always be considered when wondering why athletes leave us?
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

docdore wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:11 am
underdog74 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:19 am Face firmly planted in palm of hand on Dezonie's decision making.
shouldn't vu's demanding academic program always be considered when wondering why athletes leave us?
Good point. I was commenting more on the fact that Dezonie has already decided to change course again. He is a really talented young man who I wish was still on the roster.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

underdog74 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:07 am
buffy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:20 pm On the surface, we need to get better at player retention or we’re gonna have problems. I know we’re not unique with this problem, but we must recruit a different kind of player. I’ve been saying this in the football forum also.
I think the problem is, just like hiring candidates after the interview process, you never really know how a person will work out, or what their motives are, until they start the job.
This is certainly true to an extent. That said, intensive interviewing does a pretty good job at identifying characteristics that maximize outcomes. You must understand your culture and you must understand the type of people that thrive in that culture.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

underdog74 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:05 pm
docdore wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:11 am
Good point. I was commenting more on the fact that Dezonie has already decided to change course again. He is a really talented young man who I wish was still on the roster.
Maybe...I know we are a demanding institution, but there are a ton of reasons why players leave. Disappointment in playing time, disagreement with coaching philosophy, home sickness, inability to find a social fit outside of their team, influence of the ever present charlatans in college sports (particularly basketball), I could go on.

Though they play sports, our athletes are still subject to the same adjustment hurdles as your typical college student. I think a lot of that plays into it, that and how much easier it is to transfer these days.
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

I never heard where the Daniels kid who left very early in the season ended up. Anyone know?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

vandylifer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:56 pm I never heard where the Daniels kid who left very early in the season ended up. Anyone know?
SF Austin

(the portal activity is slowing down to a trickle...Dezonie needs to pick a new landing spot really soon)
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:04 pm
vandylifer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:56 pm I never heard where the Daniels kid who left very early in the season ended up. Anyone know?
SF Austin

(the portal activity is slowing down to a trickle...Dezonie needs to pick a new landing spot really soon)
And he's already in the portal there.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

We're recruiting weak characters.
AuricFan
Lieutenant

Post by AuricFan »

buffy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:02 pm We're recruiting weak characters.
Uh oh. We need an intro course on avoiding Florida State boosters that start buying lots of free drinks.
Locked Previous topicNext topic