Now that the roster seems to be set

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Jason94
Admiral

Now that the roster seems to be set

Post by Jason94 »

My only question is who takes the big shots that Pippen has taken for the last two season? At the end of the game we all knew that Pippen would have the ball in his hand and be the player who took the big shots at the end of the game. We also knew he had a really good chance of drawing a foul if he didn't make the shot, but he made his fair share of shots as well.

This season it could be anyone, which could either be a good or bad thing - good because it make it more difficult to key in on any one player but bad if nobody wants to take the shot. Of the starters I'd rate it this way:

Manjon - positives is that he is a true ball handling point so he is less likely to turn the ball over trying to create something and he can hit his FT's. negatives are that he is not a great shooter from outside and his size will make it more difficult to get his shot off
Kennedy - positives is he has the combination of size, handles and athleticism to be able to get his shot off at most any time. negatives are that he is a relatively poor shooter from three and the line.
Wright - positives is that he is a good shooter/finisher and FT shooter, has good size and can get his shot off. negative is that he is a ok ballhandler at best and prone to TO's if he has to create something.
Stute - positive is that he is a good shooter overall. negatives are that he is a below average ball handles and has not shown the ability to create to get his shot.
Robbins - positive is that he has good size to get his shot off. negatives are that he is not a great FT shooter and he needs someone to get him the ball.

Compared to Pippen who had decent size, good ballhandling skills and a decent shot meant that he could get his shot off most of the times and had a good chance of making it or getting to the line and hitting two. He wasn't perfect of course as he didn't have great size, was a little turnover prone and was not a great shooter but his combined attributes were greater than any individual option we currently have. But Pippen also played without a ton of great outlets and would sometimes force things. We will likely have 5 players on the floor at crunchtime that is a legit threat to score which will make it more difficult for teams to defend.

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Re: Now that the roster seems to be set

Post by underdog74 »

This is a good question that will need to be answered over time, probably not in practice, but game time situations. Who will have the fortitude to have the ball when it matters? It all comes down to leadership. Pippen was the obvious team leader. Now, the question becomes, who wants to take that role? My first assumption is Jordan, but with the challenges he has with turnovers and poor shot selections, is he ready? Robbins? Maybe, but haven't seen enough yet. We have some good pieces in place and one of the exciting things about this team is the uncertainty. How will the new guys contribute and what will their roles be? It is fun to think about and I would imagine some of the answers will shake loose on the trip to Europe, which couldn't come at a better time IMO.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

underdog74 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:55 pm This is a good question that will need to be answered over time, probably not in practice, but game time situations. Who will have the fortitude to have the ball when it matters? It all comes down to leadership. Pippen was the obvious team leader. Now, the question becomes, who wants to take that role? My first assumption is Jordan, but with the challenges he has with turnovers and poor shot selections, is he ready? Robbins? Maybe, but haven't seen enough yet. We have some good pieces in place and one of the exciting things about this team is the uncertainty. How will the new guys contribute and what will their roles be? It is fun to think about and I would imagine some of the answers will shake loose on the trip to Europe, which couldn't come at a better time IMO.
I would think the best option would probably be Kennedy despite his not having player with us before, but given his size and overall skills/athleticism he has the best chance of getting a shot off. But since none of the guys we have are ideal, it is an open question (at least for me - CJS might have something else in mind). The best that I've seen us have is probably Byars.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I vote for having a solid lead at the end and let Manjon go full-on Curly Neal dribbling display.

**We beat both LSU and Belmont by double digits without SPjr hitting a single 3. As a matter of fact he was 4-19 shooting from the field in those two games. A fluke? Maybe, but I will be interested in seeing what the team does in a situation where the emphasis will not center on one guy.
fldore
Vice Admiral

Post by fldore »

This is probably a dumb question but who exactly is on our roster for next year? Reading through the board, the below is my best guess but who knows with all these transfers and extra years of eligibility.

Returning: Robbins, QMB, Stute, Wright, I'm sure some bench guys that rarely played
Transfers: Kennedy, Manjon
Freshman: Dort, Shelby, Smith, Dia

is that right?

*edit... tying into this thread, arent a couple of the freshman supposed to be bigtime players? If they are as good as the hype why not any of them to take the big shots late in games. Shelby maybe the most likely due to his position.
SV# VU# Fl@g @AD
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

fldore wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:22 am This is probably a dumb question but who exactly is on our roster for next year? Reading through the board, the below is my best guess but who knows with all these transfers and extra years of eligibility.

Returning: Robbins, QMB, Stute, Wright, I'm sure some bench guys that rarely played
Transfers: Kennedy, Manjon
Freshman: Dort, Shelby, Smith, Dia

is that right?

*edit... tying into this thread, arent a couple of the freshman supposed to be bigtime players? If they are as good as the hype why not any of them to take the big shots late in games. Shelby maybe the most likely due to his position.
You have it mostly right, we have Lewis as the late addition as a true freshman, and we also have Thomas and Lawrence returning.

From my understanding, Dort is the player who is probably the most ready to play next season - he has really great size and excellent athleticism for a big man - Shelby and Smith are both 4 star guys - would expect Shelby to get a lot of time backing up both Kennedy and Manjon. Smith and Dia will back up the PF spot I would guess.

Robbins has one season of eligibility left. Wright, QMB, Kennedy and Manjon should each have 2 seasons left. Lawrence and Thomas should have 3 seasons left and the freshmen 5 seasons.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Jason94 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:05 pm
Robbins has one season of eligibility left. Wright, QMB, Kennedy and Manjon should each have 2 seasons left. Lawrence and Thomas should have 3 seasons left and the freshmen 5 seasons.
Are we not operating under the old rules where the freshmen have 5 years to play 4? If so, that would mean if the Frosh play their first 4 years in college, they would have no more eligibility remaining….Covid years are no longer in play for the incoming class….correct or not?
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Ndorefin wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:10 am
Jason94 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:05 pm
Are we not operating under the old rules where the freshmen have 5 years to play 4? If so, that would mean if the Frosh play their first 4 years in college, they would have no more eligibility remaining….Covid years are no longer in play for the incoming class….correct or not?
You are correct - i meant that they have 4 years of eligibility not 5. There are players on our roster who will have 5 but they freshmen are not included (nor would last years freshmen had any of them stayed).
Locked Previous topicNext topic