Six Commodores make SEC Academic honor roll

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Six Commodores make SEC Academic honor roll

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Congratulations to Jordan Wright, Scotty Pippen Jr, Max Adelman, Drew Weikert, QMB, and Tyrin Lawrence.

[tweet][/tweet]

Seadog73
Admiral

Re: Six Commodores make SEC Academic honor roll

Post by Seadog73 »

Now, if we can just get 6 on the All-SEC Team. One or 2 first team, the rest scattered between 2nd and 3rd. :-)
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:29 pm Congratulations to Jordan Wright, Scotty Pippen Jr, Max Adelman, Drew Weikert, QMB, and Tyrin Lawrence.

[tweet][/tweet]
Clicking through the link, there were 20 from the women's swim team that made the honor role. There are a total of 28 swimmers on the roster, which is a fantastic percentage. Seems like a whole lot of swimmers for a single team, is there that much specialization within the sport? That is more than the roster of the soccer team.

But good job for those on the team that did make the SEC honor roll - well done!
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

Jason, you asked about specialization in swimming. Here's your answer - yes, there is that much. You have freestyle events from 50 yards to 1,500 yards in championship meets (the 1,500 drops to a 1,000 yard race in dual meets, not certain of the longest distance for women, off the top of my head, may be 800). In addition to the freestyle events, you have breaststroke, backstroke, and butterfly. You also have the 200 and 400 individual medley, where the individual swimmers do 50 or 100 yards of butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle. With rare exceptions breaststrokers swim only those events or the individual medley. In freestyle events the sprinters (50, 100, 200) rarely swim the 500, or longer distance events, There is occasional overlap between freestylers, backstrokers and butterflyers, but not as much as you would think. I can think of a few men with the overlap - Mark Spitz (showing my age) and Michael Phelps come to mind. Can't recall women who crossed over in strokes they way those two did in freestyle and butterfly.

Sorry I was so long winded, I once swam for Vandy myself.
Last edited by Seadog73 on Wed May 04, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I think Stack has been cognizant of the fact that one of the draws at VU is academics and it is great to see the players excel in that aspect of college life.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

charlestonalum wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:54 am I think Stack has been cognizant of the fact that one of the draws at VU is academics and it is great to see the players excel in that aspect of college life.
As seen on twitter...

Vanderbilt Men's Basketball
@VandyMBB
·
23h
“Being able to come to Vanderbilt and play in the SEC and also still maintain a high level of academics was important to me. I want to be the most in every field that I can be. I don’t want to sacrifice on the academic side or the basketball side ...

🗣️
@iQBall2000 (QMB)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember that time Grant Williams was on campus visiting (had offers from 6 Ivy League schools + ACC, BigTen, etc) and the "two coaches ago guy" wouldn't extend the offer Williams was expecting?

He hit 6 threes in a 21 point NBA playoff game for the Celtics last night. :roll:
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

Remember that time Grant Williams was on campus visiting (had offers from 6 Ivy League schools + ACC, BigTen, etc) and the "two coaches ago guy" wouldn't extend the offer Williams was expecting?

He hit 6 threes in a 21 point NBA playoff game for the Celtics last night. :roll:

grant sure made us pay for that snub, iirc.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

A teenage VU fan I met at Memorial during a game a few years ago, said he was in the front row at a Washington Wizards NBA game and Admiral Schofield saw the star-V on his jacket... and shouted out to him that Vanderbilt is a great school and he would love to send his kids there.

Yeah, it would have been nice to have had Williams and Schofield playing for us instead of against us. So the next time somebody brings up VBK forgetting to pick up Troy Murphy and his parents at BNA and them having to take a taxi to VU....
Locked Previous topicNext topic