OT: Oscar T …

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

OT: Oscar T …

Post by Versus75 »

… reported on ESPN today that he is returning to UK next season.

Rumor is that he will be getting about $2 million NIL, but the deciding factor— he said— is that pre-draft analysis said he would not be a lottery pick.

I blame the draft projectors.

Then a Louisville radio guy (UK/UofL fan) asked, “How good will St. Peter’s be next season?”

shelbz75
Rear Admiral

Re: OT: Oscar T …

Post by shelbz75 »

For us, I hate he is coming back. For him I think its a good decision, he seems like a really good dude and teammate, probably the most likeable player UK has had from an opposing fan point of view and I am for sure no Cat fan.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Versus75 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:53 pm
Then a Louisville radio guy (UK/UofL fan) asked, “How good will St. Peter’s be next season?”
The guard from St. Pete that scored 27 vs UK is in the portal.

The blue missed can take heart in that.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

these NIL numbers are scary. Not knowing what to believe regarding how dirty thing were/are on the under the table stuff, it still looks like this could be way bigger $. While I appreciate the NBC effort, i really don't think that a school like ours can compete mano, mano vs the big state schools and other blue bloods (in both basketball and football). I would think our only shot is being the Tampa Rays of the SEC, making more with less.We'll see
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

dore74 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:10 pm these NIL numbers are scary. Not knowing what to believe regarding how dirty thing were/are on the under the table stuff, it still looks like this could be way bigger $. While I appreciate the NBC effort, i really don't think that a school like ours can compete mano, mano vs the big state schools and other blue bloods (in both basketball and football). I would think our only shot is being the Tampa Rays of the SEC, making more with less.We'll see
Unfortunately I think you're right.
Vanderbilt has wealthy and successful alums, but they do not tend to be the types who are still in Nashville, living and breathing Vanderbilt sports, driving a half million$ black and gold bus to the away games.
NIL will basically be paying salaries to elite college players, apparently in the seven figures. This isn't like a one time donation to the athletic department - it's going to be an annual expense. There are alums who could afford that, but I just don't see them choosing to put that money in to ensuring a better QB or point guard for their alma mater.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

I saw an interview with Oscar. He did seem to be a really nice guy. Apparently he is proficient in multiple languages.
Locked Previous topicNext topic