Something New - Experience

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jeff93
Lieutenant

Something New - Experience

Post by jeff93 »

Here is something we haven't experienced for a while.

Barring, ahem, injuries, this team should be our most experienced/senior for a long time. Arguable our top six players are juniors, seniors, or grad students:

Potential starting lineup;

Manjon: Senior
Lawrence: Junior
Wright: Senior
Stute: Junior
Robbins: Grad Student

1st off the bench: QMB: Senior (athletically)

How long has it been since with have had this senior of a first six players. (I know, some might challenge Lawrence's inclusion in this group).

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Something New - Experience

Post by MrMemorial »

One of Lawrence's other offers was Gonzaga. We haven't really seen him at full strength for a whole season.

I think this will be his breakout season. (If 100% healthy)

At 6-4 he's tall enough to guard a variety of players.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:15 pm One of Lawrence's other offers was Gonzaga. We haven't really seen him at full strength for a whole season.

I think this will be his breakout season. (If 100% healthy)

At 6-4 he's tall enough to guard a variety of players.
The best hope is that whatever injuries he's been dealing with is the reason why he has shot the ball poorly from the line and from 3, and that completely moving point guard responsibilities from his plate allows him to play his game. He has good athleticism and size, but just wasn't able to put things together last season, mainly because teams could lay off of him completely at the three point line and defend his drive, which is why he shot the ball so infrequently. He did hit a good percentage of his shots inside of the lane however, which is a promising sign. If he could shoot the ball like Thomas he would be a very good player.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

It doesn't matter how experienced they are if half of them can't score or play consistently. If healthy, Manjon, QMB and Robbins have demonstrated they can be contributors. The rest - not so much.

It's time to see all this vaunted player development come to fruition.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Last time I checked, Stute/Wright/Thomas combined for 35 points in VU's win over your Razorbacks in Fayetteville this last season. Your coach Musselman probably didn't like that very much. :o :shock:
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Totally agree that while Stute and Wright, in particular, had some off games, they also had some fantastic games for us. I think next season will be even better.
Locked Previous topicNext topic