New 2022 offer: PG Paul Lewis

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Gambit
Ensign

Re: New 2022 offer: PG Paul Lewis

Post by Gambit »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:22 am The 5 PGs are Thomas, Lawrence, Shelby, Manjon & Lewis. I didn't say how good any of them are. If Lawrence & Thomas aren't good enough and won't get much PT, why would they stay? They have been recruited over. Lewis may have played in a tough conference but he is still rated a 3-star. I would say Manjon gets the starting position....the others scramble for PT. I don't see Lewis getting much. No way Dorsey plays either guard position. Wright needed on the wing. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out I agree. Glad we have our bigs back to help out and the other 4 new folks. Hope they all jell quiickly and we can pick up the scoring left behind by Pippen.

Okay, fair enough. I guess I don’t think of Lawrence as a PG at all. More of a scorer. He just didn’t show any ball handling or passing skills in what I saw. Thomas has the physique, but is a ball handling and defensive liability. If any of the other 3 new ones approach his shooting ability, he will likely be the odd man out, though we know CJS values effort and rewards it with PT (which I applaud BTW). I agree, Lewis is not necessarily destined to be a star. I’m just optimistic that he’s game-ready. Noah probably has more upside between the two of them.

Here’s how I see the roster. Other than the very bigs and very smalls, I think positions of big guard and both forwards are pretty fluid these days.

C: Robbins/QMB/Dort
F: Stute/Smith/QMB
F: Wright/Dia/Dorsey
G: Pick 2 of Manjon/Noah/Lewis/Thomas/Lawrence

I would expect November starters to be Robbins, Stute, Wright, Lawrence and Manjon. But who gets minutes beyond that and how that evolves into Jan/Feb is a mystery to me.

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I think Lawrence has untapped potential.

He is essentially a sophomore given his injury in season 1, and on top of that, it's hard to know what he can or cannot do, as he often deferred (like a lot of players) to SPJ's skill set and the offense going through him. Season 2 was his first full year.

He did display an ability to go the rim with his left hand, and was a pretty good rebounder with nice hops. I expect his game to take a step forward this season much like Stute upped his game from Year 1 to Year 2.

Speaking of Stute, he needs to get about 10 shots per game from 3.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

buffy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:22 pm After watching Baylor dismantle every team in existence last year in the tournament, I'm heavily attracted to a 6 deep situation at guard with pressure defense. Just totally disrupt other teams. A couple of those guys need to be high end like Scottie or Saben, but the other guys need to just gobble other people up with quickness and aggressiveness. I'm more open minded about bigs, but length or athleticism to affect shots is paramount. The distinctions of a small forward are becoming trivial. 3 and D all the way. I felt like we started to own the defense identity this year when we had some horses that could do it. Guards need to be brutal. I see nothing about this guy above from his highlights that tells me anything important. I feel like CJS likes to recruit wings (generalization). He needs to get it in his head that the college game is ruled by guard play. If you get put in a position where you need to fill a spot, you better make sure its a guard with wheels. You can teach shooting, but you can't teach fast.
If you like long and quick Tyrin Lawrence is your guy. Not the quickest player on the floor, perhaps, but pretty quick and pretty hoppy for a 6-4 2 guard.
He was very inconsistent on offense last year, but he seemed like a good defender to my untrained eye.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Gambit wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:35 pm
Okay, fair enough. I guess I don’t think of Lawrence as a PG at all. More of a scorer. He just didn’t show any ball handling or passing skills in what I saw.
Lawrence is very quick to the rack when he gets a lane.
If his outside shooting was more consistent he would get a lane more often.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

Hunted around for more info on Lewis. I'm not seeing any red flags. If CJS thinks they can work with him, then let's go.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

You know who he was offered by besides Maryland and Georgetown?

St.Peters - the team that beat UK, Murray St., Purdue
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:03 am You know who he was offered by besides Maryland and Georgetown?

Do you think he also will be in the NBA since he is a 3 star and there are a dozen examples of three stars in the NBA over the last few years? Do we now have a class where all 5 players are likely to be in the NBA?
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:24 am
MrMemorial wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:03 am You know who he was offered by besides Maryland and Georgetown?

Do you think he also will be in the NBA since he is a 3 star and there are a dozen examples of three stars in the NBA over the last few years? Do we now have a class where all 5 players are likely to be in the NBA?
It's a shame you hate our incoming class. I trust Stack's judgement.

Your basketball knowledge wouldn't fill a thimble compared to his.

Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:37 am

In your mind, not thinking that we have the 2nd incarnation of the Fab 5 is "hating the class"? Your logic suggests we should be in the final 4 next year. Do you not agree? Or do you not trust CJS's ability to coach a monumental amount of talent?
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:37 am

Coach. Worship.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:44 am
Coach. Worship.
Indeed

Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:03 am
Doreknox wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:44 am
Coach. Worship.
Indeed
You worshiping Musselman now, too? I haven't worshiped a coach since the Yankees fired Billy in 1978, when I was 13.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:37 am I haven't worshiped a coach since the Yankees fired Billy in 1978, when I was 13.
So did his subsequent hirings/firings rekindle & extinguish it again? Or just the first? :)
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:40 am Or do you not trust CJS's ability to coach a monumental amount of talent?
More than I trust YOUR knowledge of basketball. Especially NBA basketball.

Since you were the one who insisted Tshiebwe was going to be a early first round lottery pick when the vast majority of NBA mock draft sites said mid-second-round which would be 30-35 picks after what you said. Just admit you know nothing about the NBA draft because you don't. You can be negative and pessimistic about our recruits all you want but luckily your "knowledge" of the NBA is non-existent.

Here is your knowledge of the NBA...

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mmalwar ... a92490.jpg
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:16 pm
Doreknox wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:37 am I haven't worshiped a coach since the Yankees fired Billy in 1978, when I was 13.
So did his subsequent hirings/firings rekindle & extinguish it again? Or just the first? :)
I said "since...1978." The rest left me cold.
Locked Previous topicNext topic