Transfers we are looking at?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Transfers we are looking at?

Post by MrMemorial »

Disclaimer: I am not saying we are interested or that we need another 6-9/220 guy. OK?

However... Mathew Mayer (10points/5rebounds) from Baylor went into the portal today. ESPN lists him as a guard for whatever that is worth. VC calls him a "small" forward. He stared 33 games last season and averaged 23 min. per game. High game was 20 vs. WVU (and 22 vs a mid-major)

Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:51 pm Disclaimer: I am not saying we are interested or that we need another 6-9/220 guy. OK?

However... Mathew Mayer (10points/5rebounds) from Baylor went into the portal today. ESPN lists him as a guard for whatever that is worth. VC calls him a "small" forward. He stared 33 games last season and averaged 23 min. per game. High game was 20 vs. WVU (and 22 vs a mid-major)
Based on how things are going we will probably have to face him next season at UK or UT.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

OT: Appleby from Florida to Wake
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

OT: JaCobi Wood from Belmont to Murray State
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:49 pm Here's a PG we've reached out to--Frankie Collins, transfer from Michigan. Was a freshman this past season, averaged 2.8 ppg and was the #47 ranked prospect coming out of high school. Set career highs in the NCAAs vs Colorado State in points (14) and rebounds (6) in the Wolverines' win over Colorado State, and played 30 minutes versus UT.
Committed to Arizona State today.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

VMBB in final 6 for Dexter Dennis of Wichita State.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

underdog74 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:02 pm VMBB in final 6 for Dexter Dennis of Wichita State.
Seems like a very similar offensive player to Max Evans but with better size. He hit his FT's very well as his three point shooting has gone down and isn't as good a finisher. Low usage guy who is not going to be a leading scorer but can jump up and have a big game when his three point shot is falling. I would expect that he is a really good defender given how much he plays despite not being a big shot guy.

Seems a little similar to Chatman as well - would have been perfect had Pippen came back but not bad if we do land him. Probably a good chance that a player like him would be more ready to start and contribute consistently than Lawrence or Thomas so he would be a roster upgrade at the cost of a single year of scholarship.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Williams from Murray to LSU. Cousinard from SoCar to Oregon.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:16 pm Cousinard from SoCar to Oregon.
Cuisinart from Williams Sonoma to my kitchen counter.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Looks like we are missing out on a lot of players....if we do get an average player hope it's just one year!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:25 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:16 pm Williams from Murray to LSU. Cousinard from SoCar to Oregon.
Cuisinart from Williams Sonoma to my kitchen counter.
Lumbar Pillow to my Chair.

Was Manjon our only get from the portal?
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

There are still many top players available in the portal, if they don’t go pro.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Nashmann wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:30 pm Looks like we are missing out on a lot of players....if we do get an average player hope it's just one year!
That Presley Patterson kid is going to Auburn as a preferred walk-on. You used to post about him all the time.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:58 pm
Nashmann wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:30 pm Looks like we are missing out on a lot of players....if we do get an average player hope it's just one year!
That Presley Patterson kid is going to Auburn as a preferred walk-on. You used to post about him all the time.
Wasn't it in the context that he probably was a marginal player? And given that he is now a walk-on it seems like that analysis was essentially correct. And that was before you joined the board so I'm not sure how you would know that.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I knew UK wanted Milburn as a walk-on and we waited until he picked between walking on at UK and a schollie on West End.... while the leading scorer in Virginia in h.s. ended up somewhere else.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Hope he has a great career.....doubt he plays much except in mop-up. Who knows.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Hope he has a great career.....doubt he plays much except in mop-up. Who knows.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I heard a rumor that Presley Patterson from Knoxville Catholic knocked down more 3's than any other player in the 2021 Arby's Classic, shooting over 46% in 4 games from deep. And had an offer from Wake also.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:08 pm I knew UK wanted Milburn as a walk-on and we waited until he picked between walking on at UK and a schollie on West End.... while the leading scorer in Virginia in h.s. ended up somewhere else.
My friend used to scream, “Take it to the hole Milburn!” every time he would touch the ball, because of course Bryan wouldn’t.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Jason94 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:33 pm
underdog74 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:02 pm VMBB in final 6 for Dexter Dennis of Wichita State.
Seems like a very similar offensive player to Max Evans but with better size. He hit his FT's very well as his three point shooting has gone down and isn't as good a finisher. Low usage guy who is not going to be a leading scorer but can jump up and have a big game when his three point shot is falling. I would expect that he is a really good defender given how much he plays despite not being a big shot guy.

Seems a little similar to Chatman as well - would have been perfect had Pippen came back but not bad if we do land him. Probably a good chance that a player like him would be more ready to start and contribute consistently than Lawrence or Thomas so he would be a roster upgrade at the cost of a single year of scholarship.
You seem to be pretty skeptical re Lawrence and I'm curious as to why because I respect your opinion.
My reckoning on Lawrence :
- Unlike Thomas he doesn't have obvious physical limitations - good mix of size, quickness, and hops (not elite in any of those, but solid in all)
- Although he's been around the program forever this was effectively his freshman year on the court and I'd think he could be a prime candidate for Stackhouse's player development machine
- shooting consistency seems to be his biggest limitation and should be coachable at least to some extent

I'd summarize his 21-22 season as "had some very good moments, wasn't consistent, was a liability at times" which you'd normally say sounds potentially promising for a freshman.

"Hasn't done it yet" is admittedly a strong counter argument. But I don't see any obvious reason he can't.
Locked Previous topicNext topic