Transfers we are looking at?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Re: Transfers we are looking at?

Post by MemorialMagic »

Love everything about this kid. The IQ, the feel, the skills.

But I hate to say it. Seems to be a half a step slow.

If he’s a winner and a hard worker, then he could be additive. A lot to be said for that. T perhaps, he can get there. Be a Bruce Elder type.

Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Sorry....many more talented kids in portal. We can't just settle I hope.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

MemorialMagic wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:32 pm Love everything about this kid. The IQ, the feel, the skills.

But I hate to say it. Seems to be a half a step slow.

If he’s a winner and a hard worker, then he could be additive. A lot to be said for that. T perhaps, he can get there. Be a Bruce Elder type.
Bruce Elder was a great athlete. Tennis too, they say.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:02 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:14 am I trust Stack and his evaluation
I think this is a pretty good pickup should we get him, but I CJS definitely hasn't been infallible in his talent evaluation, and the questions are legitimate given that Klesmit just hasn't played against many high-level teams. Seems very similar to Nolan Cressler, except he hit his FT's at a higher percentage. But even Cressler struggled in his first season with us as there is a transition when you move up a couple of levels.

Transfers have been very hit and miss - Robbins and Chatman were good and QMB has been good, but Frank was a very poor fit, Mann was ok, Harvey and Moyer were pretty bad. We are no longer looking at bringing in players to try to field a roster but are now looking to add the final pieces for what could be a very good and deep tournament team. While CJS can better afford mistakes, the right transfer could take this team to the next level, which is making the tournament and a top 4 seed in the SEC.
That is not a terrible "miss" list.
Mann brought a lot of toughness and strength - refused to be pushed around despite playing grossly out of position at the 5. I think he could have been a valuable backup 4 had he stayed.
Frank, yes a miss. But a good athlete at his size and worth taking a flyer on. If Stack looked at film and thought "this guy has the makings of a much better player" I can't say that was a crazy thing to think.
I'd give him somewhat of a pass on Moyer and Harvey because that was just a very thin roster and he needed some players.
Issac McBride was another bust, and also kind of hard to figure out.
I've got to give Stack a ton of credit for QMB. I was totally surprised how effective he was this year - absolutely did not see that coming. And tons of credit for Chatman, too, whose value is much greater than the box score would suggest.
Robbins is a good player and I really hope to see how good he can be fully healthy. But no great credit to Stack for spotting a hidden talent that everyone else missed - Robbins is an obvious good bet - but still cred to Stack for getting him here and whatever he did to make him want to stay.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

alathIN wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:21 pm
Jason94 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:02 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:14 am I trust Stack and his evaluation
I think this is a pretty good pickup should we get him, but I CJS definitely hasn't been infallible in his talent evaluation, and the questions are legitimate given that Klesmit just hasn't played against many high-level teams. Seems very similar to Nolan Cressler, except he hit his FT's at a higher percentage. But even Cressler struggled in his first season with us as there is a transition when you move up a couple of levels.

Transfers have been very hit and miss - Robbins and Chatman were good and QMB has been good, but Frank was a very poor fit, Mann was ok, Harvey and Moyer were pretty bad. We are no longer looking at bringing in players to try to field a roster but are now looking to add the final pieces for what could be a very good and deep tournament team. While CJS can better afford mistakes, the right transfer could take this team to the next level, which is making the tournament and a top 4 seed in the SEC.
That is not a terrible "miss" list.
Mann brought a lot of toughness and strength - refused to be pushed around despite playing grossly out of position at the 5. I think he could have been a valuable backup 4 had he stayed.
Frank, yes a miss. But a good athlete at his size and worth taking a flyer on. If Stack looked at film and thought "this guy has the makings of a much better player" I can't say that was a crazy thing to think.
I'd give him somewhat of a pass on Moyer and Harvey because that was just a very thin roster and he needed some players.
Issac McBride was another bust, and also kind of hard to figure out.
I've got to give Stack a ton of credit for QMB. I was totally surprised how effective he was this year - absolutely did not see that coming. And tons of credit for Chatman, too, whose value is much greater than the box score would suggest.
Robbins is a good player and I really hope to see how good he can be fully healthy. But no great credit to Stack for spotting a hidden talent that everyone else missed - Robbins is an obvious good bet - but still cred to Stack for getting him here and whatever he did to make him want to stay.
Oton Jankovic?
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Add a new one to the mix: Tre Mitchell, Texas. 6-9, 220 lbs. Also played at UMass before Texas. Averaged 19 mins/game this year, 8.7 ppg and 4.0 rebs.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:28 am Add a new one to the mix: Tre Mitchell, Texas. 6-9, 220 lbs. Also played at UMass before Texas. Averaged 19 mins/game this year, 8.7 ppg and 4.0 rebs.
And speaking of 6-9/220 forwards, how about JAIDEN DELAIRE from Stanford in the portal?

10 points / 4 rebounds average.

I wonder if he likes SATCO? :lol:
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:47 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:28 am Add a new one to the mix: Tre Mitchell, Texas. 6-9, 220 lbs. Also played at UMass before Texas. Averaged 19 mins/game this year, 8.7 ppg and 4.0 rebs.
And speaking of 6-9/220 forwards, how about JAIDEN DELAIRE from Stanford in the portal?

Difficult to see why we would want him if we didn't want Vander Plas, who is a far more productive player by most every measure.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:58 pm

Difficult to see why we would want him if we didn't want Vander Plas, who is a far more productive player by most every measure.
Because we aren't getting BVP. He is visiting Wisconsin (where he is from) and will probably end up at Virginia where the coach is old friends with his parents. I'm a BVP fan but being honest, he put up his numbers in the MAC and not the Pac12. And... T Frank was not yet officially in the portal (a very recent development) when BVP narrowed his list of school. Now that Frank is actually gone, there might be an opening for a tall forward. But if we don't get a transfer 6-8/6-9 guy, there are several good ones in the freshman incoming class.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:41 pm
Jason94 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:58 pm

Because we aren't getting BVP. He is visiting Wisconsin (where he is from) and will probably end up at Virginia where the coach is old friends with his parents. I'm a BVP fan but being honest, he put up his numbers in the MAC and not the Pac12. And... T Frank was not yet officially in the portal (a very recent development) when BVP narrowed his list of school. Now that Frank is actually gone, there might be an opening for a tall forward. But if we don't get a transfer 6-8/6-9 guy, there are several good ones in the freshman incoming class.
So then, why would we want a transfer when we have two future NBA (according to those who don't hate them) PF's in Dia and Smith coming in from our freshman class, plus Stute and three centers (one of whom (Dort) is also a potential future NBA center in this case imo)? Why pick up a guy who is less talented when there is already a log jam at that position? Delaire hit 32% of his threes, 46% of his inside shots and 66% of his FTA. His rebounding rate was about the same as Stute and he has a higher TO rate than every returner outside of Lawrence. Jordan Wright shot the ball better and rebounded the ball better than Delaire. Without the freshmen he is behind QMB, Robbins Stute and Wrigth on the depth chart. Why would we give him time when we should be giving that time to Smith, Dia or Dort?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Agree with Jason’s assessment. VU needs another guard. Plenty of depth in the frontcourt.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Because a team needs depth...unless people forget the injuries that plagued the program for years.

Every guy from the starting five to the end of the bench needs to be a legit D-1 talent if this program is going to climb up to the higher end of the SEC. Unless certain people think Kentucky and uut and Arkansas and Bama etc are going to sit back and ignore stocking their rosters, making it easy to pass them up.

Whether we add another forward, a wing, a combo guard...there is too much talent in the portal to ignore. As they say in the pro sport drafts...get the "best available player."
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:33 pm Because a team needs depth...unless people forget the injuries that plagued the program for years.

Every guy from the starting five to the end of the bench needs to be a legit D-1 talent if this program is going to climb up to the higher end of the SEC. Unless certain people think Kentucky and uut and Arkansas and Bama etc are going to sit back and ignore stocking their rosters, making it easy to pass them up.

Whether we add another forward, a wing, a combo guard...there is too much talent in the portal to ignore. As they say in the pro sport drafts...get the "best available player."
We have depth - there are six players at the 4/5 spots - our starting center from last season is the 3rd best center on the roster. Unless there are three injuries in the front court we should have little problem figuring out how to get 80 minutes per game from the players we have.

What we don't have is a ton of experienced guards that are proven. Manjon is the best of the lot but he hasn't faced a team near as good as the top 5 teams in the SEC for his entire career. Thomas is one dimensional and small and Lawrence hasn't shown that he can shoot. In terms of returnees, I would rank our talent as follows (most talented first): Wright, Robbins, Stute, QMB, Lawrence, Thomas. Of the freshmen, it is more difficult to rank, but it seems that Dort is considered the most talented of them, and he is also a post player. He 100% has an NBA body.

You are correct that we need depth, but incorrect about where it is needed.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

My first choice would be a multi-versatile player like VBK was... or a more modern example (for the very few people on here who know anything about the NBA) Kyle Anderson of the Memphis Grizz who ended up guarding Karl Anthony Towns last night instead of the 7-footer Steven Adams. But he can also bring it up the court if Morant is covered up. Or step out on the wing and knock down a three.

Like in this video where he not only hits 3-pointers, blocks the shot of 7-footer Zeller, tosses an insane lob dunk pass to Morant, hits a clutch mid-range jumper, does a fancy rim-run in the lane for a bucket, puts back a miss in the lane. All in one game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfOSEFi83Lg
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Kendric Davis (SMU) to Memphis.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:18 pm My first choice would be a multi-versatile player like VBK was... or a more modern example (for the very few people on here who know anything about the NBA) Kyle Anderson of the Memphis Grizz who ended up guarding Karl Anthony Towns last night instead of the 7-footer Steven Adams. But he can also bring it up the court if Morant is covered up. Or step out on the wing and knock down a three.

Like in this video where he not only hits 3-pointers, blocks the shot of 7-footer Zeller, tosses an insane lob dunk pass to Morant, hits a clutch mid-range jumper, does a fancy rim-run in the lane for a bucket, puts back a miss in the lane. All in one game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfOSEFi83Lg
OK, but what evidence is there that Delaire is that type of player? His assist rate was similar to that of QMB, around 10%. Anderson had an assist rate of 34% in college - I get what you are saying about a VBK/Anderson type of player, but Delaire doesn't appear to be that type of player, so I would see no reason for us to be interested in him. You are also describing Draymond Green.

To be honest, the player you are talking about we technically already have in Wright - who I have noted is a poor man's version of Green, but is a similar type of player in that he is very versatile and is quite frankly a better player than Delaire in most areas - he is a more productive rebounder, had a better assist rate, a lower TO rate, had a better steal rate and shot the ball better from the line, and both inside and behind the arc. Plus, players like that are very much in demand - while we would like to have a player like this, so would every high major team as well.

We are in much more need of guard depth, because if Manjon is down for an extended period, we will be relying upon freshmen point guards, who traditionally struggle unless they are five star type players. Also, we have no proven scorer to play the SG position at the moment.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Or would we be better off with Tre Mitchell, Texas. 6-9, 220 lbs. Also played at UMass before Texas. Averaged 8.7 ppg and 4.0 rebs. This would be his third stop. Where is the grousing about the suggestion of offering him a VU schollie?

It actually would be fine with me if we bring in a guard or a forward as long as he's a great player, a solid citizen, a legit student. I wouldn't be shocked to see Wright play some off guard this season with a starting lineup something like this...

Robbins
QMB
Stute
Wright
Manjon (his speed/quickness could allow this to work)
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

VanderPlas to Virginia. Not a shock. Great combination of academics and ACC hoops for him.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Tyreke Key lands at UT. Drats.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:40 am Tyreke Key lands at UT. Drats.
Feel sorry for the kid - can't imagine being labeled a "vol for life".
Locked Previous topicNext topic