Remember that time...

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Remember that time...

Post by MrMemorial »

The usual suspects were threatening to renounce VU and become Lipscomb fans a few years back when they had their one really good season? I see they are 8-12 right now and just lost four conference games in a row including to EKU (9-10) and Bellarmine (8-8) and Central Arkansas (5-10). So, where are those "fans" now? How is your Lipscomb bandwagon fanaticism working out lately? Asking for a friend.

:D Have a nice day!! :D

BILTMORE
Fleet Admiral

Re: Remember that time...

Post by BILTMORE »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:24 am The usual suspects were threatening to renounce VU and become Lipscomb fans a few years back when they had their one really good season? I see they are 8-12 right now and just lost four conference games in a row including to EKU (9-10) and Bellarmine (8-8) and Central Arkansas (5-10). So, where are those "fans" now? How is your Lipscomb bandwagon fanaticism working out lately? Asking for a friend.

I don't know where those fans are and I was never one to say I'd renounce VU and become a Bison, but... I do believe that they're former coach Casey Alexander is excellent and I supported him getting the job at VU.
FWIW

Word on the street (more precisely... my street which has a quite a few LU supporters) is that the new coach is going to be good too.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

There’s a reason that Don Meyer resisted Lipscomb moving to the NCAA. Lipscomb was a dominant NAIA team year after year but Meyer knew they’d never be able to compete in the NCAA. The same can be said of Belmont. They have a very small segregated fan base and it will probably never grow when you have Vanderbilt, the Titans and the Predators to compete with for fans. (And Meyer was opposed to Lipscomb becoming NCAA back before Nashville had the Titans and Predators.)

Meyer knew that Lipscomb would always have a small segregated fan base and so they may as well be good and compete in the lesser NAIA than go to the NCAA and become just another bad NCAA basketball team, which is what’s happened.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

BILTMORE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:20 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:24 am The usual suspects were threatening to renounce VU and become Lipscomb fans a few years back when they had their one really good season? I see they are 8-12 right now and just lost four conference games in a row including to EKU (9-10) and Bellarmine (8-8) and Central Arkansas (5-10). So, where are those "fans" now? How is your Lipscomb bandwagon fanaticism working out lately? Asking for a friend.

I don't know where those fans are and I was never one to say I'd renounce VU and become a Bison, but... I do believe that they're former coach Casey Alexander is excellent and I supported him getting the job at VU.
FWIW

Word on the street (more precisely... my street which has a quite a few LU supporters) is that the new coach is going to be good too.
He's soooooooooo good that they lost at home the other day by 22 and are now in 3rd place in the OVC.

Nobody heard about it because the local sports media only recaps Belmont if they win. Just like if DLU wins and becomes a cute trendy little fad, they will get incessant coverage. Lose 4 in a row in their conference to mostly really bad teams? Not so much. Then you get crickets.

If Belmont ends up in the CBI or College Basketball Insiders .com (pay-to-play) post-season tournament, don't expect to hear about it. If VU paid to play in one of those, it would be open season for negative press.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:23 pm
BILTMORE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:20 pm

FWIW

He's soooooooooo good that they lost at home the other day by 22 and are now in 3rd place in the OVC.

Nobody heard about it because the local sports media only recaps Belmont if they win. Just like if DLU wins and becomes a cute trendy little fad, they will get incessant coverage. Lose 4 in a row in their conference to mostly really bad teams? Not so much. Then you get crickets.

If Belmont ends up in the CBI or College Basketball Insiders .com (pay-to-play) post-season tournament, don't expect to hear about it. If VU paid to play in one of those, it would be open season for negative press.
Local newspaper site story on tonight's Belmont loss at Morehead State: none

Sacramento Calif. site on tonight's Belmont loss at Morehead (Ky.) State :
https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article257571328.html
Locked Previous topicNext topic