Tennessean Stays Stop with Stack's Excuses

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Doreknox
Admiral

Tennessean Stays Stop with Stack's Excuses

Post by Doreknox »

"Jerry Stackhouse has excuses. Good ones. Understandable ones. The kind that provides shelter in all manner of storms and predicaments – such as giving away a game and falling to 0-for-5 against your in-state rival.

It has been this way since Stackhouse got to Vanderbilt.

In Year 1, Aaron Nesmith gets hurt. In Year 2, Dylan Disu gets hurt. Then Disu transfers entering Year 3, for which Stackhouse adds an impact grad transfer in 7-footer Liam Robbins from Minnesota. And then Robbins – you guessed it – is hurt. He has been out all season with a foot injury."

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 131752002/

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Tennessean Stays Stop with Stack's Excuses

Post by MrMemorial »

Written by the former ut vols Chattanooga beat writer. (and current Titans cheerleader)
Charlie Nickens
Ensign

Post by Charlie Nickens »

Is he wrong? It is his third year. While Drew didn't leave behind the Milwaukee Bucks, every team has guys hurt,transfer,etc. And even with Vandy's academic restrictions vs some state schools, there are still recruits ,transfers Vanderbilt can get. Guy shouldn't get a life time pass to stand on the sidelines in a nice suit.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

think the column is way too negative. i suspect he started a bit slow on the quality recruiting, but things are picking up. And yes we have had more than our share of injuries for a squad trying to turn things around after an 0'fer SEC season.
Let's see what the rest of the season and next year bring...
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Sometimes you do wonder, when a team consistently has injuries year after year, is it the fault of the coach? What’s the off-season training program like? Is it preparing the players for the season like it should be? Or conversely is it too hard on the players so they’re getting injured in the off-season because their training program is too rough?

Every so often you will have injuries. But injuries year after year after year, that makes you wonder why.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Well we came within a minute and unfortunate turnover of beating Rick Barnes' top 25 team last night...
So I think Stack is on track.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 pm Well we came within a minute and unfortunate turnover of beating Rick Barnes' top 25 team last night...
A. There is no way UT should be a Top 25 team, they’re way overrated. They’re going to finish in the middle of the SEC, and lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament, as Rick Barnes teams usually do.

B. It was the way we lost that was disappointing. We had no coherent plan in the final two minutes. Just handing the ball off to Pippin so he can be double- and triple-teamed and turn the ball over is no plan. We lost the South Carolina game the same way. If we had a coach who could draw up plays, and have a better end of game strategy, we could/should have won both games.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Not sure why the writer would blame Coach for injuries. Pretty sure he'd like them to be able to play.

Memphis has two starters out for its next game and three others questionable. It happens.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Isn't that writer a titans cheerleader? (aka writer)

Has he blamed Vraybeck or whatever that titan's coach name is for Derrick Henry's injury?
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Personally, I would like to know the excuse the Tennessean has for ceasing to be a journalistic enterprise.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Golddore68 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:38 pm
charlestonalum wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 pm Well we came within a minute and unfortunate turnover of beating Rick Barnes' top 25 team last night...
A. There is no way UT should be a Top 25 team, they’re way overrated. They’re going to finish in the middle of the SEC, and lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament, as Rick Barnes teams usually do.
UT is currently #15 in kenpom. Whether or not you like the system, it is by far one of the best predictors/analytical metrics historically. They’ve played a tough schedule and done reasonably well despite being in a bit of a slump currently. Time will tell down the stretch, but there’s a reason they’re still ranked.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:36 pm
UT is currently #15 in kenpom. Whether or not you like the system, it is by far one of the best predictors/analytical metrics historically. They’ve played a tough schedule and done reasonably well despite being in a bit of a slump currently. Time will tell down the stretch, but there’s a reason they’re still ranked.
And short handed we almost won. That sports fans, is good coaching - how else can you explain it?
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Time will tell, I suppose, but Tennessee's analytics are very good and they have only lost to top 20 teams.

It's a disappointing way to lose, I agree, but I have seen a lot of basketball games where the less talented team puts out a maximum effort to tie the game - then falls apart. It's a predictable effect of an effort that is literally maximal.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Also - I don't read or hear everything stack says, but I have not actually heard Stack making excuses.
After the South Carolina game, he said "this was all on me."
This article could be more fairly titled "stop with Stack's circumstances that he can't control."
Also, UT has been very good over the past few years.
People are on here saying that UT isn't that great this year - which actually says something because they are a legit top 25 team and this is a down year compared to where they have been.
There is no shame in losing to UT for these past 3 years. They've been a really strong program lately.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I see the titans cheerleader/former vols beat writer now has a podcast up (with some other titans cheerleader) making excuses about "Derrick Henry being injured/rusty" for the upcoming game. He can't even wait until they lose to do it. That's how much the local sports media is conditioned to kiss the titans @ss.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

The media had begged Stack to blame our performance this season on injuries. Begged him. He’s never fallen for it. The end of game stuff is frustrating, but our team continues to improve, nonetheless.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I read the full article today and I thought it was obnoxious. He's just trying to goad our fans a little more. Agree that Stack has not taken the Bryce Drew route and blamed Every Single Loss on injuries.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

I am a Stack supporter ... for now. Especially with the recruiting class that we are supposed to be bringing in next year. He took over a trash team and program, and year over year under Stack we have improved over the year before. We also took a lot of heat for firing Bryce Drew "so soon", even though Drew had fewer results and was headed in the wrong direction, with each year he was here *worse* than the last.

That said, we have yet to field a "good" team under Stack, and in college basketball, even at Vandy, three years is enough time to turn a team around.

If Stack is feeling some warmth from his seat, I think that is maybe a good thing. But I think we should give him next year, and possibly even the year after that before making rash decisions.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

mathguy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:36 pm That said, we have yet to field a "good" team under Stack, and in college basketball, even at Vandy, three years is enough time to turn a team around.

If Stack is feeling some warmth from his seat, I think that is maybe a good thing. But I think we should give him next year, and possibly even the year after that before making rash decisions.
I don't think it's about a number of years. It's about an ongoing trend of demonstrable improvement.

It's worthwhile to remember that most coaching hires are not successful. The odds of your next hire being the guy who elevates your program to the level of success you expect are not good.
If the program keeps getting better, I think it would be crazy to fire the coach because you think it's not getting better fast enough. The odds heavily favor your next hire making things worse.
To me, you only do that if it's already getting worse (or, at least, no evidence of improvement)
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

alathIN wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:13 pm
mathguy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:36 pm That said, we have yet to field a "good" team under Stack, and in college basketball, even at Vandy, three years is enough time to turn a team around.

I don't think it's about a number of years. It's about an ongoing trend of demonstrable improvement.

It's worthwhile to remember that most coaching hires are not successful. The odds of your next hire being the guy who elevates your program to the level of success you expect are not good.
If the program keeps getting better, I think it would be crazy to fire the coach because you think it's not getting better fast enough. The odds heavily favor your next hire making things worse.
To me, you only do that if it's already getting worse (or, at least, no evidence of improvement)
Sounds logical and rational to me!
Locked Previous topicNext topic