Stack's Post Game Presser

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dore74
Vice Admiral

Stack's Post Game Presser

Post by dore74 »

Here is a link to the post game press conference. I found the coach's comments on a variety of subjects right on point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW6KblqPMns
Interested to read what others think, but I think he's the real deal and when the injury bug goes away we may have a surprisingly strong finish to look forward to. And with next year's class...well let's take one season at a time.

Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Re: Stack's Post Game Presser

Post by Vandy187187 »

He really knows what he is talking about and knows the issues with the team. I really like Stack and think he will turn it around but this is a complete rebuild and the two transfers unfortunately got struck by the injury bug.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

My impression is the same as those above. This is not a quick fix and once we get more talent we will have a coach who can coach and develop the talent.
KenStone23
Seaman

Post by KenStone23 »

i liked the honesty in both Trey and Stack's answers.

Drew held his own in the game. there were a couple of times i wished Scottie would've have dished to him for some 3's. but as Stack said, it sent a message to the younger guys that minutes are earned.

while we certainly are not where we want to be as a program, this year's group is an improvement. defensively, we are playing much better. turnovers will kill any team. as both Trey and Stack said, we need to show more poise.

i laughed at the end of the press conference when Stack literally ran out of there when asked about decision to keep students away from the games. you could tell how much it upsets him. he had to get out of there as fast as possible or else he was going to say too much. ha!

i hope we can get Chatman back soon. hamstrings are tricky.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

KenStone23 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:16 pm i liked the honesty in both Trey and Stack's answers.

Drew held his own in the game. there were a couple of times i wished Scottie would've have dished to him for some 3's. but as Stack said, it sent a message to the younger guys that minutes are earned.

while we certainly are not where we want to be as a program, this year's group is an improvement. defensively, we are playing much better. turnovers will kill any team. as both Trey and Stack said, we need to show more poise.

i laughed at the end of the press conference when Stack literally ran out of there when asked about decision to keep students away from the games. you could tell how much it upsets him. he had to get out of there as fast as possible or else he was going to say too much. ha!

i hope we can get Chatman back soon. hamstrings are tricky.
Absolutely ! Don't need to be a psychoanalyst to analyze that response.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

I know some on this board resent the comparison, but Stanford doesn't allow students at their home games and neither does Duke.

FYI we are going to the Duke Syracuse game Saturday after showing them we are vaccinated.
Duke basketball allows fans at Cameron Indoor amid campus COVID ... , the students will not be allowed to attend the game. I will let you know if they have released the student tickets to the public after attending.

Appears Duke is following Vanderbilt or is it the other way - my take is these schools are trying to make their students be as safe as possible. That is more than we can say for the rest of the SEC.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

I am on the Stack bandwagon. I know we are all impatient and the injuries have killed us. As I keep saying, we need more size and height in there. The players we have are giving it their all- in the case of SP Jr., maybe too much of his "all" since he tries to do too much himself and careens down the court (remember Kyle Fuller?). I was disappointed last night and the Vols fans near me drove me nuts, but we held our own for a lot of the game. Just not at the end. I liked seeing the spirit in Stute, even if it did get him his final foul. And Mann just about launched that big Vol into the seats.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

I like Stack. I think we could have done better, but we could have done a lot worse too. VU was never going to pay the price for a great coach. My biggest concern is his game and clock management in close games down the stretch. Last night and the SC game were an F-. He had 2 timeouts in his pocket when the game ended last night.

The NBA way in those games is give the ball to your best player and everyone else get out of the way. That seems to be the Stackhouse way and it has failed us. Hopefully he is learning that as we go.

Bottom line: even if we finish below 500, he will be back next year. No one wants to jeopardize the highly ranked recruiting class coming in. But next year will and should be ‘postseason” or “out the door”.
Versus75
Admiral

After Stack has been at VU for 15 years ...

Post by Versus75 »

... he may have as much clout as Tim Corbin did last year when he forced the university's hand on attendance at baseball games.

https://14powers.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... ce#p148025
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

GoVU wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:33 pm I like Stack. I think we could have done better, but we could have done a lot worse too. VU was never going to pay the price for a great coach. My biggest concern is his game and clock management in close games down the stretch. Last night and the SC game were an F-. He had 2 timeouts in his pocket when the game ended last night.

The NBA way in those games is give the ball to your best player and everyone else get out of the way. That seems to be the Stackhouse way and it has failed us. Hopefully he is learning that as we go.

Bottom line: even if we finish below 500, he will be back next year. No one wants to jeopardize the highly ranked recruiting class coming in. But next year will and should be ‘postseason” or “out the door”.
Agreed, and am a believer in Stack if we can keep the burgeoning talent healthy and playing together long enough (minimal transfers or departures to the pros). Given recent history, that's easier said than done.

It's too early to talk about next season with any semblance of confidence, but here's what we know.

Probably Back:
1) Myles Stute
2) Jordan Wright
3) Trey Thomas
4) Jamaine Mann

Maybe Back:
1) QMB (graduates this year)
2) Tyrin Lawrence
3) Shane Dezonie
4) Terren Frank
5) Gabe Dorsey

Unlikely to be Back:
1) SJP
2) Rodney Chatman (think he's out of eligibility)
3) Liam Robbins (tempted to move to the Maybe column given his 2 years of remaining eligibility)
4) Drew Weikert - including him here out of respect, but for the sake of the program he shouldn't be taking up a scholarship next year.

Incoming:
1) Malik Dia
2) Noah Shelby
3) Lee Dort
4) Colin Smith

I'm likely wrong on one in the Probably Back section - (I hope not, they all get good minutes and seem like players that have bought into Stack's system).

I believe we can confidently say not every player in the Maybe section will be back. If recent history is indicative of trends to come, we'll lose at least one in there, likely more. Maybe we can sneak in another year of Liam Robbins given the inevitable departures, but that gives us a team of:

* 4 Freshman (admittedly strong prospects, 2 which we should expect to be solid contributors in year 1, more would be a welcome surprise)
* Stute, Wright, Trey, Mann
* 2 or 3 out of QMB, Lawrence, Frank, Dezonie, Dorsey
* 2ish transfers? Or maybe Robbins + 1 transfer?

Looking at this on paper, barring some major breakthrough off-seasons or a significant transfer in, it doesn't scream post-season-or bust team to me. I think Stack needs 2 years to prove it out. I would LOVE to be wrong about next year, and if you're thinking it's too early for this discussion, you're damn right is.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

If those four freshman who are considered “a top ten recruiting class in the US” cannot make the postseason, then we need a new coach. I’ve watched film and read about each one and I can see those 4 + Liam being our starting five.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

GoVU wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:21 pm If those four freshman who are considered “a top ten recruiting class in the US” cannot make the postseason, then we need a new coach. I’ve watched film and read about each one and I can see those 4 + Liam being our starting five.
Not sure who you’re quoting there, but I haven’t seen this class referred to as “a top ten recruiting class in the US” by any recruiting service. 247sports composite has them tabbed 24th (5th in the SEC). A nice jump from the last few seasons, but not top 10, nor enough to warrant bullishness associated with a top 10 class that may have 3-4 immediate impact freshmen.
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:15 am
GoVU wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:21 pm If those four freshman who are considered “a top ten recruiting class in the US” cannot make the postseason, then we need a new coach. I’ve watched film and read about each one and I can see those 4 + Liam being our starting five.
Not sure who you’re quoting there, but I haven’t seen this class referred to as “a top ten recruiting class in the US” by any recruiting service. 247sports composite has them tabbed 24th (5th in the SEC). A nice jump from the last few seasons, but not top 10, nor enough to warrant bullishness associated with a top 10 class that may have 3-4 immediate impact freshmen.
Exactly. Likely we'll have 1 or 2 impact players from this class, but the thought of all four being starters by season's end is not realistic. Also, having a completely new starting 5 and having tournament expectations is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I am a fan of Stack and think he can get it done, but based on who I'm projecting to return and the sheer depth of the SEC, it seems like a 2 year plan, not a Tourney-or-bust situation.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

quasidiehardvandyfan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:39 am
UltimateVUFan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:15 am
Exactly. Likely we'll have 1 or 2 impact players from this class, but the thought of all four being starters by season's end is not realistic. Also, having a completely new starting 5 and having tournament expectations is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I am a fan of Stack and think he can get it done, but based on who I'm projecting to return and the sheer depth of the SEC, it seems like a 2 year plan, not a Tourney-or-bust situation.
Rivals has us 15th and rising as our 4 signees are all having outstanding senior years. It was listed as the second best class in school history (and we are due for some success as we all know how that #1 class turned out).

I think the true barometer will be the transfer portal. If 3-5 guys see the writing on the wall and leave in May, we will get a pretty good idea.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

If you are correct and this our returning roster AND the freshman class is not amazing and worth saving then the Stackhouse experiment should end. With todays transfer rules, it should not take 4 years to get to .500.

I don’t see any talent that can compete with UT, UK, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, etc on a day to day basis. I see several good players that might get better, but starting a bunch of role players will keep you playing on day 1 of the SEC Tournament for years to come.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Predicting next year is like predicting where inflation will be by year end--good luck with that. (The whole transfer thing is impossible to gauge, both leaving and in-coming.). Also, the loss of SPJr, will be provide big challenge to overcome.

This year I see a team that plays really tough defense even with less than a full complement. I see a "real" basketball team that with a bit of better health could be pretty dang good. I like Stack's stern approach to guys that don't practice hard, and suspect we'll see a couple or more of them hear the message and clean up their act. I also get that that we ain't the world's greatest shooting team and that we aren't a top 10 or 20 team even if all good to go. Nevertheless, we are improving.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

GoVU wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 am it should not take 4 years to get to .500.
While the previous guy only took 3 years to get to .000 in the league.

I'll take .500 in year 4 over .000 in year three.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

This.
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:24 am
GoVU wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 am it should not take 4 years to get to .500.

Then you are settling for mediocrity. I was glad the last coach was fired too, but I still think we should expect more.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Foreverhopeful wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:57 am

This.
And yet there was a guy on here clamoring for the .000 guy not long ago and lots of posters on a rival forum still boo-hooing over the .000 guy being let go. (must be a Brylcream thing)
Locked Previous topicNext topic