Frustrated

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jeff93
Lieutenant

Frustrated

Post by jeff93 »

I'm starting to really like this team. But really, after being fortunate enough to tie it at 60 with a minute to go, they couldn't have played worse in that last minute. The game was there for the taking, but the stupid in bounds and then forced 3 pointers allowed UT to take the game. I was thrilled with a minute to go. Pissed 60 seconds later.

quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Re: Frustrated

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

I'm with ya, we gave that one away in the last minute, let alone the 20 TOs throughout the game. Just hard to win against any competition, let alone a top 25 team, when with so many unforced TOs.

It was also really tough to watch the sea (swamp?) of orange in the student section. Enough has been said here, but glad this student ban will be lifted soon, although it would have certainly helped in this game (and USC).
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

just not ready for a prime time win in several ways.
jeff93
Lieutenant

Post by jeff93 »

Yeah, also didn't help that arguable the worst free throw shooting team in the SEC hits 25 of 29 against us, 86%+. Ridiculous.

And yeah, I'm angry the administration is being so hardcore on COVID. Even Dartmouth is treating the virus as an endemic now. You don't get brownie points for being ridiculously over cautious with vaccinated, healthy young people - the administration just looks stupid keeping students away while allowing UT fans to sit in their seats - enough to push long time fans away.
vandybl
Commander

Post by vandybl »

We were at the game. There was not a "sea" of orange in the student section. Maybe 20 orange-clad fans, but no big group. Most of the student section had fans with dark clothes. There were a lot of UT fans there. A game Vandy should have won.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

vandybl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:52 pm We were at the game. There was not a "sea" of orange in the student section. Maybe 20 orange-clad fans, but no big group. Most of the student section had fans with dark clothes. There were a lot of UT fans there. A game Vandy should have won.
Agree. On TV, there did not appear to be much orange at all in the student section. Could you go over to the other thread and tell Nashmann that; his head's exploded. :lol:
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
katmai
Rear Admiral

Post by katmai »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:55 pm
vandybl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:52 pm We were at the game. There was not a "sea" of orange in the student section. Maybe 20 orange-clad fans, but no big group. Most of the student section had fans with dark clothes. There were a lot of UT fans there. A game Vandy should have won.
Agree. On TV, there did not appear to be much orange at all in the student section. Could you go over to the other thread and tell Nashmann that; his head's exploded. :lol:
It could be that the 10 UT fans they showed in the student section took up about 50 seats. They just looked like your stereotypical UT fan, which is such a bad look for Tennessee. I hope they had their vaccinations, because they certainly looked like they fit several high-risk categories.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

jeff93 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:29 pm I'm starting to really like this team. But really, after being fortunate enough to tie it at 60 with a minute to go, they couldn't have played worse in that last minute. The game was there for the taking, but the stupid in bounds and then forced 3 pointers allowed UT to take the game. I was thrilled with a minute to go. Pissed 60 seconds later.
The turnover on the inbound play towards the end of the game should never have happened. The player throwing the ball in (Mann, was it?) threw a lazy pass. It was compounded by Pippen not working hard enough to get free. After that we were forced to take desperation shots with the hope of catching up. That one play changed the last few minutes of the game, in my view. Two players should have known better.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

FayetteDore wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:55 pm
Ha Ha Ha.......the view they showed on TV showed a lot more than 20 in orange but whatever On Twitter there are alot of exploding heads then
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

LawoftheWest wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:25 am
The turnover on the inbound play towards the end of the game should never have happened. The player throwing the ball in (Mann, was it?) threw a lazy pass. It was compounded by Pippen not working hard enough to get free.
And then — down just 2 points with 49 seconds remaining — Pippen grabbed the UT player as though the shot clock was off and he had no choice.

(Remember Matthew Fisher-Davis versus Northwestern)

We should have played tough D. A missed UT shot and a Vanderbilt defensive rebound and we have the ball only down 2 points.

Instead, 2 UT free throws and the game gets put away.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

sad to say our team choked the game away in that last minute. there’s no way to sugarcoat it. possibly next time they’ll be more prepared to win…?
baseball1234
Commander

Post by baseball1234 »

Even if it was "only 20 orange", it is much more in reality because the VU Students werent allowed. Then Vandy has become a top 10 most "woke" and diversity over everything else university in USA and it sucks. It 100% turns longtime and new want to be fans off. Then you have some of the former player / announcers posting to abolish the police. just not a good look when you are promoting and teaching more Marxist thought with your actions than Capitalism
[/quote]

Amen, amen, amen. My wife couldn't believe that I went to bed at halftime. Very difficult to root for a team whose administration does not let the magic into Memorial. Losing interest rapidly. I really hope that I can overcome my malaise for baseball. Watched every televised game last year and went to Omaha for the CWS. Just not feeling it....
quasidiehardvandyfan
Ensign

Post by quasidiehardvandyfan »

Glad to hear from your perspective that wasn't the case. Whether in the student section or otherwise, this post-game quote from Trey Thomas is telling about the disparity in the crowd at recent home games:

BEATUT
Commander

Post by BEATUT »

Thanks out to the current Vandy Administration. They have now turned Memorial Gym into Dudley Field. So sad!
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Don't care if there were 20 orange buttheads in the student section or 200, the optic is the same. I would rather see a dang near empty gym than a sea (and yes that is accurate as to total crowd) of opponents. This administration needs to step away from the cliff of arrogant intellectualism and understand that the world operates with a heavy input of common sense. Have to find ways to get more VU fans in the seats (gosh, maybe all those student people). Son and I sat in the 2F, third row season seats that I have had for I guess 20+ years ( season seats in another spot maybe 25 before that) surrounded by UT fans. Maybe the staff could make sure visitors sit in assigned seating.

The only comforting thing about last night is the confirmation that UT fans still make up the greatest number of douche bags; another "championship" they can still claim.
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

BooMax wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:03 am

Even if it was "only 20 orange", it is much more in reality because the VU Students werent allowed. Then Vandy has become a top 10 most "woke" and diversity over everything else university in USA and it sucks. It 100% turns longtime and new want to be fans off. Then you have some of the former player / announcers posting to abolish the police. just not a good look when you are promoting and teaching more Marxist thought with your actions than Capitalism
When opposing fans come looking to see whether, contrary to popular opinion, there really are any Vandy fans who are, uh, somewhat less than brilliant ;), something tells me they'll cite this post. 8-) :roll:
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
Locked Previous topicNext topic