Vanderbilt All-Stars

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jpmando
Commander

Re: Vanderbilt All-Stars

Post by jpmando »

Mike Rhodes had the best command of the bank shot I have ever seen. It was automatic. Tremendous player!

jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

And Memorial Gym had the best basketball atmosphere in the nation at one time. Maybe one day we hear it
reverberate again.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

I always thought Terry Compton used the backboard as well as any Vanderbilt player I've seen.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Darius Garland was indeed named an NBA All-Star this evening.
Vandy187187
Rear Admiral

Post by Vandy187187 »

No offense to Garland. But you have to play more than a week to be considered a Vandy alum. He may have well never suited up and cost us a scholarship to someone who would for more than a week. Hundreds of players have had more of an impact on our program who weren't as good.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Vandy187187 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:53 pm No offense to Garland. But you have to play more than a week to be considered a Vandy alum. He may have well never suited up and cost us a scholarship to someone who would for more than a week. Hundreds of players have had more of an impact on our program who weren't as good.
Well, to be fair he did play in 5 games. That's at least 2 weeks. ;)

I still remember when I learned he was injured. We were out of town for the Thanksgiving Holidays. Doing family stuff, so I wasn't able to follow the game. But later that evening I glanced at the boxscore and noticed he was scoreless, or had like 2 points, and I thought to myself -- "oh no, I bet that means he was injured; oh sh__!' And of course I was right about the injured part and REALLY right about the "oh sh__!" part.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Vandy187187 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:53 pm No offense to Garland. But you have to play more than a week to be considered a Vandy alum. He may have well never suited up and cost us a scholarship to someone who would for more than a week. Hundreds of players have had more of an impact on our program who weren't as good.
I guess I disagree--quite strongly, actually. First of all, he played more than a week (hyperbole ain't gonna make your points for you). Second, he was a student all year. IIRC, he was actually a student during the summer before the season as well. (If not, he was certainly on campus very early.) More to the point, however, he'll always be listed as a Vanderbilt Commodore, which publicises the university. So in the end, he'll potentially have quite a big impact.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

I love the optimism. Count me as pro Stack as well. Hoping also for a strong effort on Saturday.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:20 am The All-Star Chip Rupp lol
Don't forget Joe Dean's favorite...

(in your best Joe Dean voice...)

Brett Burrow from Radcliffe Kentucky...he dad Bob Burrow was a friend of mine! :roll:
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

geeznotagain wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:46 pm
Well, to be fair he did play in 5 games. That's at least 2 weeks. ;)

I still remember when I learned he was injured. We were out of town for the Thanksgiving Holidays. Doing family stuff, so I wasn't able to follow the game. But later that evening I glanced at the boxscore and noticed he was scoreless, or had like 2 points, and I thought to myself -- "oh no, I bet that means he was injured; oh sh__!' And of course I was right about the injured part and REALLY right about the "oh sh__!" part.
Garland only played like 4 minutes vs Kent State before getting hurt. And we lost.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

One more note about NBA Commodores: I didn't think that anyone else had noticed how well Damian Jones has been playing lately (for the Kings, but still...). But apparently he also attracted the eagle eye of Zach Lowe, earning a spot in his weekly "Ten Things" column.
5. A tiny bright spot in the Kings' endless hellscape
[Two paragraphs about how woeful the Kings are]
...One teensy bright spot: Damian Jones, on his fifth team in five seasons, has gotten more comfortable making plays on the move in the pick-and-roll:

https://media.video-cdn.espn.com/gifs/m ... s_2gif.mp4

Jones is dishing about 2.5 dimes per 36 minutes, nice for a rim-running backup. He's more confident executing one-dribble finishes; Jones is shooting 80% at the rim.

He's inconsistent on defense, but I'd take a low-cost flier on him as a reserve -- either via trade, or this summer in free agency.
roanoke
Admiral

Post by roanoke »

Garland scored 33 against Liberty.

I don't think that number had been matched in a long time - until this week.

I claim him all the way.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

bornadore57 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:35 pm I always thought Terry Compton used the backboard as well as any Vanderbilt player I've seen.
and could hit the most off balance shots imaginable driving the paint.
Locked Previous topicNext topic