QMB

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

jeff93
Lieutenant

QMB

Post by jeff93 »

Quite a game. In 20 minutes: 11 points on 5/5 shooting, 6 bounds, 3 blocks and no turnovers. The team was good with him on the floor. Bad without him. Keep him healthy and out of foul trouble.

Vandamnit
Commander

Re: QMB

Post by Vandamnit »

Most improved player this year, and maybe one of the finest improvement arcs within a single season I have seen in a Vandy Jersey in a while. Way to go QMB.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

Vandamnit wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:52 pm Most improved player this year, and maybe one of the finest improvement arcs within a single season I have seen in a Vandy Jersey in a while. Way to go QMB.
Can we also give coaches some credit? I agree QMB has developed markedly each year.
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

Pippen said he was the hardest worker on this team.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

charlestonalum wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:03 am
Vandamnit wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:52 pm Most improved player this year, and maybe one of the finest improvement arcs within a single season I have seen in a Vandy Jersey in a while. Way to go QMB.
Can we also give coaches some credit? I agree QMB has developed markedly each year.
Clearly our coaches don’t know what they’re doing and are terrible at their jobs! That’s what I keep hearing any time the team loses… :roll:

Agree that QMB and staff deserve kudos for his ongoing development. It’s a darn shame Robbins has been injured, because our frontcourt would be a major strength.
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Proud to root for these kids. And Agee the staff needs to get greater credit for what they do.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Q is becoming one of my favorite players. He's a really bright kid and his parents are terrific people. He's a real asset to our program. I'm so happy for him that he's improving and contributing.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

He's definitely improving as there is a big difference when he is in the game. The announcers couldn't stop talking about it though I don't think they really provided a good analysis for the reasons as they simply stated his ability to kick it out for assists. While that is a part of it, his rebounding and presence in the middle also impacts shots defensively. He's turning into a decent post scorer as well.

I can remember just earlier this season when he seemed to get pushed around and just seemed kind of awkward out there so something has clicked. Thank goodness, he is really, really needed.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Agree he is improving especially this year and becoming my favorite player. I would love to see more improvement from Lawrence in some outside shooting and not just an occasional layup.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VandyPhile
Rear Admiral

Post by VandyPhile »

I doubt that this is something QMB should work on, but I kept wondering last night what the effect would be if he were to drain a couple of 3s, given how much they sag off of him at the top of the key.
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

VandyPhile wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:08 pm I doubt that this is something QMB should work on, but I kept wondering last night what the effect would be if he were to drain a couple of 3s, given how much they sag off of him at the top of the key.
Kind of a catch 22. There is a REASON they sag off him at the top of the key.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Im just glad to see a big post player get a pass inside occasionally. Then it is nice to see them go straight to the hoop for a dunk without hesitation.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Im just glad to see a big post player get a pass inside occasionally. Then it is nice to see them go straight to the hoop for a dunk without hesitation.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

VandyPhile wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:08 pm I doubt that this is something QMB should work on, but I kept wondering last night what the effect would be if he were to drain a couple of 3s, given how much they sag off of him at the top of the key.
We shoot enough threes as it is. Over half of our shots in conference games come from behind the arc. This team shoots more threes as a percentage of their shots than only two other teams in the last 25 seasons, and is simultaneously the 2nd worst three point shooting team of those 25 seasons, and just barely ahead of the 2019 team.

QMB needs to shoot more, but it needs to be inside the paint to force teams to keep from pressing out on our perimeter players.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Stute is hitting 41% from three and Dezonie (small sample size) an other-worldly 60%. They should have an absolute green light to shoot wide open threes until proven otherwise, whether it is 8 seconds into the shot clock or about to expire. The "four passes or else" concept was interesting in the "Hoosiers" movie but this is 2021-22 and not a Hollywood feature film.

We have two guys shooting WAY under 20% from three. They should be discouraged from launching one unless a shot clock violation is the only other option.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:21 pm Stute is hitting 41% from three and Dezonie (small sample size) an other-worldly 60%. They should have an absolute green light to shoot wide open threes until proven otherwise, whether it is 8 seconds into the shot clock or about to expire. The "four passes or else" concept was interesting in the "Hoosiers" movie but this is 2021-22 and not a Hollywood feature film.

We have two guys shooting WAY under 20% from three. They should be discouraged from launching one unless a shot clock violation is the only other option.
We covered what you are talking about a month ago - my thoughts on it haven't changed. Doesn't really have anything to do with Hoosiers (not sure where that came from).

The main point is that as a team, we take more shots from the perimeter than most every VU team in the last 25 years (going back to VBK's late 90's teams) but are less successful than all of those teams except for 1 (the worst team of the 25+ by far). You can argue exactly who should be given the green light or not from the starters to the bench players, but we've done that already. It does seem that while we are relatively thin at the post, when you have your two primary post players both shooting well over 60% from the floor, perhaps they should be given more opportunities to try to score inside. I don't believe that this requires any particular coaching expertise to suggest that this is an imbalance that represents sub-optimal shot distribution.

Thomas for instance is a player who is such a good shooter that even thought he is struggling should generally have the green light. But in his 19 mpg he has put up 110 shots for the season, compared to QMB who in his 23.5 mpg has put up just 59 shots. Thomas has scored 114 points on his 110 shots while QMB has scored 92 points on his 59 shots. Everyone agrees that QMB has been greatly improved this season. And it isn't just Thomas, but most everyone on the team that QMB is more efficient than - why not try to get him more shots? Maybe he is reluctant to shoot, but whose job is it to get him out of his comfort zone and potentially expand his game?
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

I expect his poor free throw shooting is a reason. But that can be improved. I hope that is happening.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

60% from two on the arbitrary number of 100 shots = 120 points
40% from three on the arbitrary number of 100 shots = 120 points

Obviously we need the green light for guys who can hit the long ball and not the others.

Angry spruiking reply will be up in a matter of moments.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

QMB can thank SPJ for his high percentage shooting. Scotty sets him up while driving the basket. QMB gets a put-back or dunk. He doesn't post up(very rare if he does) nor does he take jump shots. Where he has really improved is that he is looking for the sudden pass. Then aggressive to the basket.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Nashmann wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:15 am QMB can thank SPJ for his high percentage shooting. Scotty sets him up while driving the basket. QMB gets a put-back or dunk. He doesn't post up(very rare if he does) nor does he take jump shots. Where he has really improved is that he is looking for the sudden pass. Then aggressive to the basket.
That is a good point, and it does suggest that QMB aggressively rolling to the basket on every pick play for Pippen should be what he does as Pippen is good at delivering and it also pressures the defense to have to make a choice between doubling pippen and defending the roller.

I'm not convinced that QMB couldn't develop a post game, his issue when he tries post moves on rare occasions is that he tends to rush things. This uncertainty with timing does often times come from not having been forced to try things in live game situations often enough to understand the true speed needed to execute a move.
Locked Previous topicNext topic