Vandy Student Tickets and Covid

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dorestudent7
Seaman Recruit

Vandy Student Tickets and Covid

Post by dorestudent7 »

First post, wish it were happier in tone.
Argh! Vandy's new covid rules means no students at games through at least January 24. As a student and proud 'dore fan, I won't be able to attend the Tennessee game, at least through normal measures (showing my student ID for free). I'd consider buying a ticket, but I don't think $45 is reasonable for a college student. Do ticket prices usually drop more once we get closer to the game? I know a lot of my friends would pay a smaller amount of money for tickets.
Any advice?

Versus75
Admiral

Re: Vandy Student Tickets and Covid

Post by Versus75 »

What are these new Covid rules of which you speak?

I thought all Vanderbilt students are required to be vaccinated. And are the admission rules stricter than those for the ticket buying fan: Show vaccination status or recent negative test then wear a mask (at least until you get through the door)?
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Also curious. Haven’t heard anything of the sort. Source???
vandyfan1873
Seaman

Post by vandyfan1873 »

https://www.vanderbilt.edu/coronavirus/ ... re-period/

Another undergrad here. Technically, we aren't supposed to go to athletic events from the time we get to campus until at least the 24th. It's annoying for sure, and there definitely won't be many students following those guidelines, if any.

Any ideas/help on how to get cheap tickets would be really helpful. There are still plenty of students who would love to show up and support.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Wow! Most unfortunate. Sorry,y’all.
dcdore
Admiral

Post by dcdore »

Pretty sucky
Always hopeful; rarely optimistic. @GAD
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

dcdore wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:34 pmPretty sucky
Yes, keeping our student as safe as possible sucks - sarcasm alert
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

charlestonalum wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:45 am
dcdore wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:34 pmPretty sucky
Yes, keeping our student as safe as possible sucks - sarcasm alert
How is this keeping them safe? They've required vaccines to attend campus, which is what they've required for people to attend games (unless you have a negative covid test). Of all the people attending games, the people at least risk would be the students, so I'm not clear on why if the emphasis is on safety why they are the only ones to be excluded from the games (and as noted, they aren't really excluded, they just aren't allowed to attend the games through their (already paid for if things are as they were when I went to school) activity fee and have to pay for tickets separately to attend). This is much more like a money grab than it is about "safety", unless they bar a student from attending regardless, which doesn't sound like it is the case.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

This is beyond idiotic. The student turnout had actually pretty good for some of the non-conference. I still can't believe this is true. What is the supposed reason/purpose?
vandyfan1873
Seaman

Post by vandyfan1873 »

The supposed reason/purpose is covid. It is indeed beyond idiotic, not to mention laughably hypocritical. We have to test negative to return to campus, and we have to be boosted, or be tested twice weekly.

If there are any wealthy alums out there who are as annoyed by this policy as we undergrads are, offer to buy us tickets. Stick it to the ridiculous admin decision and boost attendance at the game ;)
dorestudent7
Seaman Recruit

Post by dorestudent7 »

Supposedly, they want to really lock down for the first week (at least) of classes and not have any students doing any activities that aren't class or getting food, despite all students being vaccinated and most being boosted—and despite any guidelines for faculty/staff to do the same.
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

Based on this policy, how are the players--Vanderbilt students--able to attend the games?
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

If you check out “Vivid Seats”, they have tickets for as low as $8! I realize they are in the crow’s nest, but I would think you could move around at will.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Ndorefin wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:45 pm If you check out “Vivid Seats”, they have tickets for as low as $8! I realize they are in the crow’s nest, but I would think you could move around at will.
That is for the South Carolina game which has tons of tickets for $20 or less in the secondary market.

Over $40 for uut or uk. But I understand wanting to keep students uninfected too.
vandyfan1873
Seaman

Post by vandyfan1873 »

Levon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:09 pm Based on this policy, how are the players--Vanderbilt students--able to attend the games?
Good question. The short answer is - student athletes get special treatment
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

MemorialMagic wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:03 am This is beyond idiotic. The student turnout had actually pretty good for some of the non-conference. I still can't believe this is true. What is the supposed reason/purpose?
You know...science!
dotcommie
Captain

Post by dotcommie »

I am not going to the game and would be glad to transfer my tickets to any student that would use them.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

vandyfan1873 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:59 pm
Levon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:09 pm Based on this policy, how are the players--Vanderbilt students--able to attend the games?
that is a "shocking revelation".
Levon
Rear Admiral

Post by Levon »

docdore wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:48 pm
vandyfan1873 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:59 pm
that is a "shocking revelation".
To be clear, I asked that question with tongue firmly planted in cheek. But as a "normal" student, that may be a good question to ask your administration. Why are some students more "special" than other students? Animal Farmish, no?
GoVU
Lieutenant

Post by GoVU »

Ok - Safety. But if I look across and see our entire student section full of Kentucky Blue next week I am not going to be happy.
Locked Previous topicNext topic