Some fun facts for VU Men's Basketball fans ...

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Versus75
Admiral

Some fun facts for VU Men's Basketball fans ...

Post by Versus75 »

... include:

Vanderbilt is (at this writing) no. 73 in the NCAA Net Rankings. That is an N.I.T.-worthy rating and currently 9th among Southeastern Conference teams.
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings

The last time Vanderbilt won its SEC opener was also on the road, December 29, 2016 at Louisiana State.

The last time Vanderbilt won four games in a row was at the start of the 2018-2019 season with wins versus Winthrop, @USC, Alcorn State and Liberty. Future NBAer Darius Garland scored 33 points in that Liberty contest, his last full game as a Commodore.

The Vanderbilt Women's Basketball team has also won four games in a row. I don't have time to research the last time both teams were on streaks of 4+ wins at the same time.

The secsports.com headline writers must think Arkansas is the crew of the Starship Enterprise and Vanderbilt is its sworn enemy. (My emphasis.)

Vandy holds off Hogs to claim SEC-opening win
Despite having issues turning the ball over, the Commodores cling on to a close lead to defeat Arkansas, 75-74, on the road.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Some fun facts for VU Men's Basketball fans ...

Post by admin »

Vandy had 3 more turnovers than the pigs (17-14) but made more total baskets (52-49). Unfortunately for the hogs, turnovers do not count as points.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Don’t tell Towson St, but we have you in our sights in the NetRankings!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Versus75 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:40 pm ... include:

Vanderbilt is (at this writing) no. 73 in the NCAA Net Rankings. That is an N.I.T.-worthy rating and currently 9th among Southeastern Conference teams.

The last time Vanderbilt won its SEC opener was also on the road, December 29, 2016 at Louisiana State.

The last time Vanderbilt won four games in a row was at the start of the 2018-2019 season with wins versus Winthrop, @USC, Alcorn State and Liberty. Future NBAer Darius Garland scored 33 points in that Liberty contest, his last full game as a Commodore.

The Vanderbilt Women's Basketball team has also won four games in a row. I don't have time to research the last time both teams were on streaks of 4+ wins at the same time.

The secsports.com headline writers must think Arkansas is the crew of the Starship Enterprise and Vanderbilt is its sworn enemy. (My emphasis.)

Despite having issues turning the ball over, the Commodores cling on to a close lead to defeat Arkansas, 75-74, on the road.
This crap is bogus. What stats put a 9-4 Florida team 29 spots above a 9-4 VU team? Only thing I see they have on is is 6-2 v 5-3 at home. We are either better or tied in all other aspects.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

The NCAA NET rankings are very similar to the Kenpom rankings as far as I can tell, in that they are both attempting to measure net efficiency. The difference being that kenpom has a preseason ranking calculation that is not included in the NET rankings, though the preseason rankings becomes less of a factor as the season rolls along until it is no longer considered once enough games have been payed. To that end we are ranked 68th in the kenpom rankings, which is a reflection of our having played very close to our initial ranking of 77th. Towson has greatly exceeded their initial ranking of 245 in kenpom and are at 109, so that is an indication that the initial ranking is still playing some role, but not a large one anymore.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

commadore wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:10 pm

This crap is bogus. What stats put a 9-4 Florida team 29 spots above a 9-4 VU team? Only thing I see they have on is is 6-2 v 5-3 at home. We are either better or tied in all other aspects.
It is generally about scoring margins - UF was up to 10 in the kenpom rankings but has steadily slid as they played very well in their first 6 games and have slid in performance recently. We OTOH played a weaker overall schedule, and our best wins have been close, while two of UF's best wins have been blowouts. The number of places is not overall that meaningful - on a neutral court they would probably be a 4 point favorite - we are currently showing a 1 in 4 chance of beating them on their home court, which is not too bad. We are a pick up at home at the moment.
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

commadore wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:10 pm

we will have opportunities to prove ourselves against the gators. only then will the comparison be meaningful.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Ndorefin wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:40 pm Don’t tell Towson St, but we have you in our sights in the NetRankings!
Vanderbilt moved up two spots to #71 after NOT PLAYING last night. At that rate....

The 'Dores have pushed ahead of powerhouses Utah Valley and Oakland. After Towson State (currently #70), we can set our sights on Monmouth (#66), Abilene Christian (#59) and even Wagner (#42), which has already knocked off Virginia Commonwealth (#63).
vandyfan1873
Seaman

Post by vandyfan1873 »

Versus75 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:40 pm .
I don't have time to research the last time both teams were on streaks of 4+ wins at the same time.
November 2014. Opening the season. But more importantly, the last time they’ve both had a mid season 4 game streak, including a conference game, was February 2008…
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

:shock:

Holy Shan Foster, Batman! 42 points versus Mississippi State.

Was that also the year that Ross Neltner outscored Kentucky in the first half of the game in Memorial
Locked Previous topicNext topic