Arkansas Game

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Jason94
Admiral

Arkansas Game

Post by Jason94 »

That was not a perfect game by us, which is actually very good news, as we were able to beat a formidable Ark team without playing our best. Gritty defensive effort by the team, and we were able to hit enough threes in the game and play much better defense in the 2nd half.

Chatman was excellent tonight, and his performance balanced on both ends of the court. He hit his shots, distributed the ball, rebounded and played excellent defense. When he was on the court tonight we outscored Ark by 9 points and when he was off the court we were outscored by 8 (this includes the final 5-0 Ark run in the final 41 seconds - prior to that point Chatman was +14). His time on the court should continue to increase as he gets back into game condition, but his presence gives us a strong perimeter defender and a backup point guard.

Pippen was very gritty - Ark made him work for each and every one of his points, and he also was defending either Notae or Umude, which helped lead to his fouling out very late. The turnovers were a lot, but in the 5 minutes he was out of the game we were outscored by 5 points. He needs to be playing as much as he can handle. Wright was better tonight, though he did take a couple of ill-advised threes. Otherwise he did a lot of everything - he is a big time glue guy.

Thomas shot the ball much better tonight, but Ark is a bad matchup for him - he really struggled bringing the ball up against their pressure and made some bad turnovers that led to layups and/or fouls. He is best when he is spotting up or working off the ball around screens to get an open look at the three - Chatman's presence should allow him to focus on that role. Stute was good despite not hitting his threes - he rebounded well and played really good defense in the 2nd half including a game saving block at the end of the game. He probably could stand to do a little more offensively inside the three point arc, but he is coming along nicely.

We really need more depth at the post - QMB played pretty well, but somehow went 25 minutes of court time without attempting a single shot. Ark's big man was not a dominating player, so it seems like he could have gotten something inside. He did play well defensively and rebounded well, but we basically had zero inside game. Frank tries hard, but doesn't seem to have any feel for the game - Lawrence managed to outrebound him 5-2 on the board in the same number of minutes and one of the two shots he attempted was an ill-advised three. Without Mann or Robbins available he had to play, but is struggling to find his rhythm and understand his role (assuming that CJS doesn't want his long post player to hang out around the perimeter).

Fantastic was to start the conference season - a road win in an environment we've only won 3 times previously despite not playing that well and missing three players. There is an outside chance we can start the season 4-0 and a good chance we start the season 3-1. I'm convinced that if we can get Robbins and Mann back we will be a very tough out by the end of the season. Chatman has so far been what I would have expected him to be (a net positive for the team), and a healthy Robbins playing to his potential could have an even larger impact.

charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Re: Arkansas Game

Post by charlestonalum »

This is a gutty team that plays hard, good defense and when our 3's are falling we are dangerous. Strength is clearly the defense and we have that intangible called "toughness". We do not match the talent of most SEC teams, but we can really play defense.
SC is not a given W - it is a winnable game, but easily one we could lose. Let's hope all our wounded return, but enjoy the victory, and already time to get ready to defend our own home court.
Fans turn out for the game!
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

Here are some thoughts:
Negatives
-How close were we to chocking that game away...missed free throws, not a great foul by SPJr, turnovers and a three at the end that just missed...
-We are not very deep and really need someone other than SPJr or Chapman to step up even more
Positives
-Oh my, we never win at Arky; we always lose when some guy we never heard of has an incredible night...but we did
-Our defense is very impressive. Stack really seems to have all the guys on the same page
-Unsung hero of the night was QMB, yes he had no points, and while i don't have the plus/minus when he was not in we seemed to suffer a great deal
-SPJr is truly a difference maker and so is Chapman--we'd have won some earlier games with him playing
Would very much like to see
-Wright needs to keep on improving, we really need him to be a part of the team's strength
-Of the others, Stute appears to be making the biggest strides. Can Thomas keep up his shooting and improve his ball handling? Hopefully one of the others sees the light sooner rather than later
And so...
-While not clear how good Arky is, we have a real live basketball team this year (its been a long while) with a real live coaching staff. Hopefully it will be fun winter.
Foreverhopeful
Rear Admiral

Post by Foreverhopeful »

Excellent analysis and I was thrilled to see this win. Lots of screaming at the TV at our house. I was positive we would lose at the end, so what a pleasant surprise. I'm a Stack fan, and I think he has his players all buying in. We need Robbins.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

This is one of those games with so many twists and turns in the final minute, including bad turnovers, missed shots, questionable judgment, questionable officiating, unlucky bounces, that whoever lost would be kicking themselves for the next 24 hours or so.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

geeznotagain wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:04 am This is one of those games with so many twists and turns in the final minute, including bad turnovers, missed shots, questionable judgment, questionable officiating, unlucky bounces, that whoever lost would be kicking themselves for the next 24 hours or so.
The foul call on Wright at the end was complete and utter BS
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Despite having a tough night at the FT line, Lawrence had 5 boards and 2 assists with 0 turnovers.

At 6-4 and 200 pounds, he should be at small forward until Mann returns and maybe longer.

A valuable lesson was learned in the Hawaii game:
Even if the other team has a guy having an insane shooting game, you can still win. Other than Umude, the rest of Arky was like 3-15 from deep = 20% (a notch better than the 2-15 Hawaii shot > 13% < other than Coleman who made 6 triples).
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:56 am Despite having a tough night at the FT line, Lawrence had 5 boards and 2 assists with 0 turnovers.

At 6-4 and 200 pounds, he should be at small forward until Mann returns and maybe longer.

A valuable lesson was learned in the Hawaii game:
Even if the other team has a guy having an insane shooting game, you can still win. Other than Umude, the rest of Arky was like 3-15 from deep = 20% (a notch better than the 2-15 Hawaii shot > 13% < other than Coleman who made 6 triples).
Ark actually had two players who had good shooting nights - but we largely kept JD Notae in check and the other players didn't really hurt us. I agree that giving Lawrence some PT at small forward and allowing even a Wright to play some 4 makes some sense. There might even need to be some instances where we play Wright, Stute or Mann (when he gets healthy, hopefully soon) at the 5 spot as any of them have been more effective as Frank is in the post both offensively and on the defensive glass.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Great win with some big plays late (the Stute block e.g.) and a few stumbles overcome. The team may well begin to see what it takes for them to win; sure hope so as they play hard enough to deserve some victories.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Other observations:

1) We were lucky. I counted at least 5-6 bad things that happened in the last minute or so of the game, all of which could have cost us the game.

2) based on what I could see, there seemed to be a bit of banter between their fans in the sidelines and our guys when we hit threes, especially in the 2nd half. I saw Chatman and Thomas look/talk/gesture to the Hog fans on more than one occasion after hitting a big shot. Suck it..

3) Did anyone notice at one point in the second half where Stute got fouled, and went up to the Arkansas huddle? I couldn't tell if he was doing that to be funny, make a point, or was just confused. He didn't look ticked off that I could tell.

4) This is the kind of win you can grow from. Thought Pippen's 5th foul was unneeded, and Wright's 5th was a joke, but it can only benefit guys like Lawrence and Thomas to be in at crunch time going forward. I bet Lawrence doesn't miss both FT's in the next situation. His first one looked good but swished out, and his second one was short, as if he was too tight and thinking too much.

5) This was karma for the one they stole from us a few years ago. Some dude hit a miracle shot and then taunted the student section afterwards. Got some long time ticket holder banned from the gym Haven't seen him since.

6) Mussleman is a twit. Pay your dues before you come in the league and start expecting to get preferential treatment. You aren't anything special. I remember Mark Fox did the same thing at Georgia. Came in like he should be commanding respect Day One. Must be a Nevada thing.

7) continuing on Mussleman, what makes him so worthy of admiration and praise that other coaches don't get? He, like Tom Crean, is just another coach that will struggle in the SEC. I just don't get all the hype about coaches like him, Buzz Williams, and Ben Howland. If I was a recruit, I would feel like our own coach would have more to offer me in terms of development than what those other non-NBA playing dudes could provide.

Oh well. Maybe this win will get CJS some of that notoriety. Or at least make Plaster and Watson Brown feel better...
docdore
Vice Admiral

Post by docdore »

dore74 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:58 am Here are some thoughts:
Negatives
-How close were we to chocking that game away...missed free throws, not a great foul by SPJr, turnovers and a three at the end that just missed...
-We are not very deep and really need someone other than SPJr or Chapman to step up even more
Positives
-Oh my, we never win at Arky; we always lose when some guy we never heard of has an incredible night...but we did
-Our defense is very impressive. Stack really seems to have all the guys on the same page
-Unsung hero of the night was QMB, yes he had no points, and while i don't have the plus/minus when he was not in we seemed to suffer a great deal
-SPJr is truly a difference maker and so is Chapman--we'd have won some earlier games with him playing
Would very much like to see
-Wright needs to keep on improving, we really need him to be a part of the team's strength
-Of the others, Stute appears to be making the biggest strides. Can Thomas keep up his shooting and improve his ball handling? Hopefully one of the others sees the light sooner rather than later
And so...
-While not clear how good Arky is, we have a real live basketball team this year (its been a long while) with a real live coaching staff. Hopefully it will be fun winter.
FUN! dore hoops just hasn't been that for much too long. yes...we can hope that this winter of '22 just might be... and memorial magic might even rise from the ashes.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

VUaskew wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:46 am 1) We were lucky. I counted at least 5-6 bad things that happened in the last minute or so of the game, all of which could have cost us the game.
Or we were gassed. Remember, Arkansas’ strategy is to wear out their opponents until they get sloppy, generate a bunch of turnovers, and go on a few big runs. And we were playing with just eight guys. So… I’m not surprised at the late run. I’m just impressed that it took so long and was so short, given how undermanned we were. Tip of the hat to all the guys for fighting through a tough opponent in front of a tough crowd and coming away with a great win. And double kudos to Stack and Ty for that play at the end of the half. That was a real momentum-breaker!
DeefromAtlanta
Admiral

Post by DeefromAtlanta »

EIght players without a true center. Those guys played tough.
MemorialMagic
Rear Admiral

Post by MemorialMagic »

TwoSaints wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:56 pm Or we were gassed.
Did you watch the game? The mistakes we made were not mistakes of fatigue, they were complete mental collapses.

1. Do lay the ball in for the easy deuce. If you miss it, don't foul and send them to the line and make it a 4 point swing.

2. Don't foul the opponent when they are going in for a lay-up and trying to make you make free throws to win the game.

3. Do hold on to the ball when you know the opponent is going to be scratching and clawing to get a steal.

The one good play was Stute's block. Big-time play. The and-1 was just unforgivable. I hope someone gets Chatman and privately tutors him on how idiotic that was.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

10 for 25 from three helps cover up for some injuries and for some mistakes.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

MemorialMagic wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 pm The and-1 was just unforgivable. I hope someone gets Chatman and privately tutors him on how idiotic that was.
I watched the end today again. That call on Chatman was crap. He barely even brushed by and may not have even touched the guy.

I wish there were a dislike button to award your post with.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

This thread amazes me…..why is every missed 3 an ill advised shot and every turnover a careless mistake that only requires more work. Every player has limitations and is competing against very talented athletic players who may have better skills in certain areas. If any of you have never played at this level, you have no clue what it takes. We will never play a perfect game, so why point out every deficiency of each player? Do any of you think Pippen doesn’t realize he should have taken the layup instead of a dunk? How many of you have had such indecision when you are in open court? Do you think he doesn’t realize his last foul was careless? How many of you could have made any of the 3s Thomas made or played like Chatman at 50%? Please lighten up guys,….we just witnessed one of the most unlikely wins we have had in many, many years!! I’m thrilled that despite not playing at our best, with limited reserves, we still come home with an ultra impressive “W”! Analysis of a great win that focuses on the negative must make some feel like supreme aficionados of the sport while giving me the impression of a need to feel superior in their knowledge of the game. OF COURSE THATS JUST MY OPINION AND I COULD BE WRONG!!!
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

MemorialMagic wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 pm
TwoSaints wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:56 pm Or we were gassed.
Did you watch the game? The mistakes we made were not mistakes of fatigue, they were complete mental collapses.
Brain fades are a primary sign of fatigue.

You can say VU got lucky... but there were also a lot of idiotic calls and on any neutral floor Captain Blowhard Entitlement gets T'd up a dozen times and ejected at least two or three times... and gutting out a win with a short bench and multiple injured players is a pretty tough form of luck.
We've been on the losing end of those ugly/chaotic finishes a lot of times and I don't remember any VU fans saying the loss didn't count because the other team got lucky.
No, not taking a "moral defeat" on this one.
Any road win in the SEC is an accomplishment.
Things to improve? Things to work on? Absolutely. But that does not negate this win.
frstev17
Captain

Post by frstev17 »

Well put, Endorefin…VERY well put. Everyone’s entitled to his opinion even if it’s negative, but still…this was a huge win. Nothing should distract from the final result.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

charlestonalum wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:35 am This is a gutty team that plays hard, good defense and when our 3's are falling we are dangerous. Strength is clearly the defense and we have that intangible called "toughness". We do not match the talent of most SEC teams, but we can really play defense.
SC is not a given W - it is a winnable game, but easily one we could lose. Let's hope all our wounded return, but enjoy the victory, and already time to get ready to defend our own home court.
Fans turn out for the game!
As said before: we won the game with a mental toughness not seen recently. It was not luck: we earned it. SC will give us fits ,- get ready for another close one. Conquer and prevail.
Locked Previous topicNext topic