Watson Brown on Plaster's show

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Watson Brown on Plaster's show

Post by Go Vandy! »

said it's time to move on from CJS.They were discussing how to return the magic.

VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Re: Watson Brown on Plaster's show

Post by VUaskew »

Watson Brown and George need to STFU.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

So he couldn't coach football so he is trying to tell us what to do in basketball? yeah, right. Agree with you VUaskew.
Last edited by commadore on Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

10-45. Loss to death penalty SMU 44-7. Angry, embittered, egotistical former p x p guy.

Bastions of credibility....
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Watson Brown = Bryce Drew. He had THREE 1-10 seasons here in five years.

He also: had a losing record at Cincinnati (now in the top 4 of the nation)
and... went 4-18 at Rice
and... had 8 losing seasons in 11 years at UAB (now a mid-major power)
and...had 2 winning seasons in 9 years at TnTech

Brown is the first coach in NCAA football history to lose 200 games.

{if I need to know something about the Braves (which I don't), I might listen to Plaz, otherwise, not}

*** Clark Lea would have to have 22 more seasons like the one he just had to lose more than Brown.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Well he did have 2 accomplishments worth remembering.

1969 victory vs Bama and the Bear, as QB.

OC during 1982 season-responsible for some outstanding offense. Fun season.

Not sure why he weighed in on basketball however.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

All that negative stuff may be true, but he's still the only SEC QB I've seen who also returned punts. Should that qualify him to comment on basketball? Ubetcha. Furthermore, my wife said he was kinda cute back then(she especially liked his hair).
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

geeznotagain wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:50 pm All that negative stuff may be true, but he's still the only SEC QB I've seen who also returned punts. Should that qualify him to comment on basketball? Ubetcha. Furthermore, my wife said he was kinda cute back then(she especially liked his hair).
JVBK was the only point guard who also jumped center. And the girls liked his hair back in the day too.

Maybe he can opine expertly on football soon.
abvandy
Rear Admiral

Post by abvandy »

Mrs. AB was so ticked off over Watson's firing that she has not attended a VU football game since.

CONQUER!!!.... and PREVAIL!!!
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

abvandy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:32 pm Mrs. AB was so ticked off over Watson's firing that she has not attended a VU football game since.

CONQUER!!!.... and PREVAIL!!!
After the SMU game I wrote him and said he should just resign then. He wrote me back after the LSU game and said "see, we CAN win" and not to give up. Didn't win another game though.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Plaster and Brown are Vandy alums who have a sports talk show. They have as much of a right to discuss CJS as all of us on Vandymania. Besides, they are 100% correct about canning Stack.
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:10 am Plaster and Brown are Vandy alums who have a sports talk show. They have as much of a right to discuss CJS as all of us on Vandymania. Besides, they are 100% correct about canning Stack.
Yup can stack when he’s bringing in second best recruiting class in Vanderbilt history this makes total sense. At least give the guy another year before pressing the reset button yet again and going into another long rebuild after we hire like who casey alexander? There’s no savior who can come in and rebuild the program instantly it’s gonna take time.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

VandyBias wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:19 am
Doreknox wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:10 am Plaster and Brown are Vandy alums who have a sports talk show. They have as much of a right to discuss CJS as all of us on Vandymania. Besides, they are 100% correct about canning Stack.
Yup can stack when he’s bringing in second best recruiting class in Vanderbilt history this makes total sense. At least give the guy another year before pressing the reset button yet again and going into another long rebuild after we hire like who casey alexander? There’s no savior who can come in and rebuild the program instantly it’s gonna take time.
Yannow, these kids play hard, and are playing good defense. How about all the pitchforkers who think firing coaches brings success get behind these young men. I swear, grown men acting like children thinking they have all the answers. the same people who probably get butt-hurt if a player decides to transfer out because he's not getting something he thinks he deserves.

And, with respect to CJS, his first year of recruiting was the best he could cobble together upon being hired in late March. 2 1/2 years is just not enough time to build a program. Smart men like yourselves ought to know this.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

I am happy about that recruiting class, but IMO they're going to be poorly coached while Stack is here. The old "roll out a bball and start playing" NBA coaching will not win you anything in the SEC unless you have KY's or Duke's talent. Be prepared for another poor SEC and overall record in 2022-23.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:15 am
I am happy about that recruiting class, but IMO they're going to be poorly coached while Stack is here. The old "roll out a bball and start playing" NBA coaching will not win you anything in the SEC unless you have KY's or Duke's talent. Be prepared for another poor SEC and overall record in 2022-23.
He won't lose 90+ percent of his games like Watson Brown did three different seasons here.

He also won't get blown out unmercifully by a program reduced to ashes by the death penalty.
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:38 pm
He won't lose 90+ percent of his games like Watson Brown did three different seasons here.

He also won't get blown out unmercifully by a program reduced to ashes by the death penalty.
I was at the SMU game and every other home game during the Watson era. You are not the only person who remembers those times, although you act as if you are. It doesn't matter what you think. Plaster and Brown can freely speak their minds about anything Vanderbilt. If you want to counter their comments, get a radio show.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Doreknox wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:48 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:38 pm

I was at the SMU game and every other home game during the Watson era. You are not the only person who remembers those times, although you act as if you are. It doesn't matter what you think. Plaster and Brown can freely speak their minds about anything Vanderbilt. If you want to counter their comments, get a radio show.
Unless you are a mod, I can make any comment on here that doesn't violate terms of service.

Did you suddenly become a mod? If not, go pound sand.

Watson Brown & Bryce Drew are by far the worst coaches in VU history.

(And Stack won't lose 90+ percent of his games like Watson Brown did three different seasons here and he also won't get blown out unmercifully by a program reduced to ashes by the death penalty which I also sat out there in the rain and had the displeasure to watch in SMU's old crummy stadium... and he won't go on the radio every week and try to change the subject with "don't call us Vandy, we're Vanderbilt" or "don't just wear gold, wear your ugliest gold" etc ad nauseum)
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:02 am
Unless you are a mod, I can make any comment on here that doesn't violate terms of service.

Did you suddenly become a mod? If not, go pound sand.

Watson Brown & Bryce Drew are by far the worst coaches in VU history.

(And Stack won't lose 90+ percent of his games like Watson Brown did three different seasons here and he also won't get blown out unmercifully by a program reduced to ashes by the death penalty which I also sat out there in the rain and had the displeasure to watch in SMU's old crummy stadium... and he won't go on the radio every week and try to change the subject with "don't call us Vandy, we're Vanderbilt" or "don't just wear gold, wear your ugliest gold" etc ad nauseum)
Not a mod. Just tired of your ragging on our coaches. It would also be nice if you accurately assigned the words "worst coaches" to the right people:

Bryce Drew's three year winning percentage at VU - 40%
Jerry Stackhouse's three year winning percentage at VU - 38%

Watson Brown's winning percentage - 22%
Jack Green's winning percentage - 21%
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Knowing Watson personally, it’s hard to imagine him saying anything negative about a current VU coach. Watson always had a little swagger, but he is a kind and caring person.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

He made it very clear he wasn't criticizing CJS. Just that the program needed a change.
Locked Previous topicNext topic