Watson Brown on Plaster's show

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

nyyankeeDore
Captain

Re: Watson Brown on Plaster's show

Post by nyyankeeDore »

OldDude wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:13 am
MrMemorial wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:50 pm Even though Drew lost 20 in a row and had the worst SEC season in 70 years, certain people wanted him retained because he reminded them of back when they hung out in the parking lot behind Moon Drug Store in the afternoons with their hair full of Brylcreem (TM)

A Little Dab'll Do Ya!
Dang, MrMemorial, how old are you ? :lol:
Old enough (like me) to know that some people's "little dab" is other people's "greasy kid stuff", as the following internet research result shows:

• Greasy Kid Stuff: The brand that viral marketing built
May 25, 2009Christopher SimpsonLeave a commentGo to comments
Instructions: Use lots -- buy more
Instructions: Use lots -- buy more
Long before there was an Internet, there was viral marketing. Admittedly, it was rare. On the other hand, it actually worked.

Take “That greasy kid stuff,” for instance.

In 1962, Bristol-Myers was riding high on a campaign for its Vitalis brand of hair dressing. Unlike Brylcreem, which had reigned supreme since the Roaring Twenties, Vitalis contained no grease and left the hair looking more like hair and less like the aftermath of an oil change. The ads generally consisted of one athlete looking in disgust at another athlete’s hair and asking, “You still using that greasy kid stuff?”

For reasons known only to the gods of pop culture, the tag line struck a chord with the public and a new catch phrase was born. Bill Cosby incorporated it into his stand-up routine to launch his debut album, Bill Cosby Is a Very Funny Fellow – Right! And honky-tonk song-writer Cy Coben wrote a tune called “Greasy Kid Stuff,” giving Janie Grant her only Top 40 hit.

Cleopatra sailing down the Nile with MarkWas huggin’ and kissin’, was as happy as a larkBut suddenly she ran her fingers through his hairStopped and said, “Well, I declare….Are you still using that greasy kid stuff?That icky sticky ooey gooey greasy kid stuff”

'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I'm not going to name any names, but there is a coach in a nearby state who resembles that remark.

OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

MrMemorial , Brylcreem and the "balconies that Clyde built". We are definitely a rare breed anymore. Merry Christmas (in this stinker of a year) to you and all the Vandymaniacs !
Seadog73
Admiral

Post by Seadog73 »

I was struggling to remember Brylcreem's competitor. Thanks for reminding me of Vitalis.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

How about the big Hugh Baby and White Rose petroleum jelly?
Last edited by charlestonalum on Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Dapper Dan
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:44 pmDapper Dan
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

MrMemorial wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:52 pm
While Bryce Drew did well at Valpo and is doing good at "GCU" - some of those "wins" at "GCU" are highly questionable in nature. Life Pacific College? Ottawa College of Arizona? Benedictine College of Arizona? Bethesda U. of California (twice)? Dixie State College of Utah (twice)?

Here's a picture of Bethesda Calif. Christian College...(yes the college is a 2-story office bldg.)
Amazingly, Bethesda actually beat Cal State-Northridge (interim coached by former Stanford and LSU coach Trent Johnson) tonight. Even more amazing, it happened five years ago, too.

[tweet][/tweet]
Versus75
Admiral

OT: Re: Greasy Kid Stuff

Post by Versus75 »

I used Vitalis as a young teen

My fav commercial was with Don Drysdale pitching and he rubbed his hand over his hair.

The opposing manager ran from the dugout yelling, “Greaseball! Greaseball.”

Then Drysdale went to his dugout for the bottle of Vitalis and showed it the crowd, getting a standing ovation.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Go Vandy! wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:44 pmDapper Dan

From a movie like they just don't make anymore.
thefan
Captain

Biggest career mistake Watson made was...

Post by thefan »

coming back to Vanderbilt! Should have avoided the program like the plague and probably should have played at Alabama like the Bear wanted him to do!
abvandy
Rear Admiral

Post by abvandy »

Can't leave Butch Wax out of this hair-raising discussion....

CONQUER!!..., and PREVAIL!!!
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

abvandy wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:38 am Can't leave Butch Wax out of this hair-raising discussion....

Butch Wax had its proponents.
Attachments
M&M.jpeg
M&M.jpeg (188.39 KiB) Viewed 4732 times
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

Do i get some kind of award for the post hanging around near the top for 12 days? Altho, as threads tend to do, has strayed a little. Cool with me!
VU1970
Admiral

Post by VU1970 »

When you QB Vanderbilt to a win over Bear Bryant and Alabama, you can say anything you want to say.
abvandy
Rear Admiral

Post by abvandy »

And, let's not forget to remind Charlie (and Fearless Fosdick) to get Wildroot Hair Oil.

EagleDore
Rear Admiral

Brylcreem

Post by EagleDore »

I remember the jingle tag line, ""Brylcreem — A Little Dab'll Do Ya!" probably from TV even though I would have been a little kid. It kind of shows the power of a good jingle. Bouncing over to Wikipedia I grabbed the whole jingle story:

It was first advertised on television with the jingle "Brylcreem — A Little Dab'll Do Ya! Brylcreem — You'll look so debonair. Brylcreem — The gals'll all pursue ya; they'll love to run their fingers through your hair!".[4] Another version was "Brylcreem—a little dab will do ya! Use more only if you dare; but watch out! The gals will all pursue ya! They'll love to run their fingers through your hair!"

The jingle was created by Hanley M. Norins of the Young & Rubicam advertising agency.[5] The television advertisement for Brylcreem included a cartoon animation of a man with (initially) shaggy hair, who happily has a little dab applied, and, miraculously, the hair combs and smooths itself.

When the dry look became popular, partly inspired by the unoiled moptops of the Beatles, the last line was changed from "They'll love to run their fingers through your hair", to "They'll love the natural look it gives your hair". Subsequent television advertisements used the mottoes "Grooms without gumming" and later, in the 1970s, in the United Kingdom and Canada, "A little dab of Brylcreem on your hair gives you the Brylcreem bounce".
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I like Watson but agree that he shouldn't be sharpshooting other coaches' shortcomings. That said, Vandy probably never makes it to the '82 bowl game without Watson.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don Yates - Publisher, http://www.vandymania.com Fl@g
FayetteDore
Vice Admiral

Post by FayetteDore »

Go Vandy! wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:15 pm Do i get some kind of award for the post hanging around near the top for 12 days? Altho, as threads tend to do, has strayed a little. Cool with me!
Yes.

And it's now 18 days and has covered everything from the Memorial balconies to mid-century men's hair products to train derailments.

A certain rival's board had a thread called "The Thread That Won't End" that had been going for years. :lol:

PS: As much as I hate to admit it, I went through a Brylcreem phase in the 1960s.
Can't scamper or slither...but I used to swim.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

FayetteDore wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:39 pm
Go Vandy! wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:15 pm Do i get some kind of award for the post hanging around near the top for 12 days? Altho, as threads tend to do, has strayed a little. Cool with me!
Yes.

And it's now 18 days and has covered everything from the Memorial balconies to mid-century men's hair products to train derailments.

A certain rival's board had a thread called "The Thread That Won't End" that had been going for years. :lol:

PS: As much as I hate to admit it, I went through a Brylcreem phase in the 1960s.
And now back to Watson Brown... now that Stackhouse just won back to back SEC road games.

by comparison:

Number of SEC road wins TOTAL in FIVE YEARS for Watson Brown = 0
Number of road wins outside the SEC at VU total in five years for Brown = 1
(at Rutgers, 31-30)

In my best southern accent:
Gee whiz Charlie Mac, but I'm a real good guy and one of these days I'm gonna get a dadgum SEC road win, I just double-dog guarantee it's gonna happen one of these day, just watch.
Locked Previous topicNext topic