Next Year's Center

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Nashmann
Admiral

Next Year's Center

Post by Nashmann »

After this year Dort will be our only center.

"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Re: Next Year's Center

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Won’t QMB have another season of eligibility left if he opts to use it? The COVID year was a freebie for everyone, yes?
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:48 pm Won’t QMB have another season of eligibility left if he opts to use it? The COVID year was a freebie for everyone, yes?
Exactly. Liam Robbins will mostly likely be back for a fifth year in 2022-23 as he’s only played three years of college basketball thus far and has a free covid year.

Lee Dort figures to be in perfect position as he’ll get a free year to develop and learn and be primed for a breakout year in 2023-24. Imo that could be a potentially historic year. A team lead by a super senior Jordan Wright, with a Senior core of Terren Frank, Tyrin Lawrence (if their development and rehabs from injury go to plan), Trey Thomas (who I don’t think will be much better than he is now but I hope i’m wrong), and Myles Stute (same thing) with a Junior core of Shane Dezonie, Peyton Daniels, and Gabe Dorsey who all have huge potential, and three outstanding players in Colin Smith, Noah Shelby and Lee Dort all having a year of college experience under their belt. That depth and talent level is insane, and potentially national championship level insane! (not to mention that Vandy might land top-5 2023 recruit Elijah Fisher, Trey Thomas is his cousin) (Got super off-topic there I apologize)
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

VandyBias wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:16 pm That depth and talent level is insane, and potentially national championship level insane!
Hold on there cowboy. Take a deep breath.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

buffy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:15 pm
VandyBias wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:16 pm That depth and talent level is insane, and potentially national championship level insane!
Haha - let's try to make the tournament first, or at least get to .500.
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Any statement containing the words "national championship" are sure to anger the basketball gods and result in season-ending injuries to at least 1, probably 2, of of our better players.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Nashmann wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:46 pm After this year Dort will be our only center.
The way transfers are these days, things like this simply aren't concerns. If we need another center next year, there will be a center avaialable, even if we can't recruit one into our freshman group.
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

geeznotagain wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:52 pm

Any statement containing the words "national championship" are sure to anger the basketball gods and result in season-ending injuries to at least 1, probably 2, of of our better players.
That’s just the Bruce Drew curse at work.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

We have 4 new guys coming in. Dort, Shelby, Dia & Smith. That means 4 need to leave....Chatman, QMB, Robbins & most likely Pippen. None of them can stay if we want to keep with 13 scholarships. Yes QMB & Robins could play another year but there is no room. So....goes back to Dort being the only center next year. Someone else would have to leave otherwise.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

If Robbins wants to stay another year, someone else will go.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Versus75 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:23 am If Robbins wants to stay another year, someone else will go.
The only person we wouldn't miss would be Trey Thomas.....but his cousin is a 5-star recruit for Vandy.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:04 am
Versus75 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:23 am If Robbins wants to stay another year, someone else will go.
The only person we wouldn't miss would be Trey Thomas.....but his cousin is a 5-star recruit for Vandy.
I wouldn't sleep on Trey Thomas. He did some surprisingly good things as a freshman. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove and I look for him to be a valued bench player.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

underdog74 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:26 pm
I wouldn't sleep on Trey Thomas. He did some surprisingly good things as a freshman. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove and I look for him to be a valued bench player.
OK....so if Liam wants to stay another year....who else would you think would leave? One that wouldn't hurt the team....
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

Nashmann wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:32 pm

OK....so if Liam wants to stay another year....who else would you think would leave? One that wouldn't hurt the team....
I don't think Liam stays, but if he does, I'm sure the coaching staff will figure it out. I also have no doubt we have a transfer out, which has become the norm in college hoops.
underdog74
Vice Admiral

Post by underdog74 »

I don't think Liam stays, but if he does, I'm sure the coaching staff will figure it out. I also have no doubt we have a transfer out, which has become the norm in college hoops.
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

underdog74 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:41 am

Liam would have like what a year left on a grad degree? Just a quick glance at his Instagram and the fact his uncle is a coach points towards him / his family having more than enough money to pay tuition for a year. In that case he gets to stay on the team, and isn’t taking a scholarship away from a trey thomas / other valuable bench guy.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

VandyBias wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:09 pm
Liam would have like what a year left on a grad degree? Just a quick glance at his Instagram and the fact his uncle is a coach points towards him / his family having more than enough money to pay tuition for a year. In that case he gets to stay on the team, and isn’t taking a scholarship away from a trey thomas / other valuable bench guy.
"Come and play and extra year with us and you'll get to pay full Vandy tuition!" doesn't sound as appealing as you think.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Can 6-8 Malik Dia play some backup center?

He also had offers from Marquette, Creighton, TCU, St Johns, Loyola-Chicago, etc.
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:06 pm Can 6-8 Malik Dia play some backup center?

He also had offers from Marquette, Creighton, TCU, St Johns, Loyola-Chicago, etc.
No way in hell. He weighs 190 max, would be absolutely bullied.
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:53 pm
VandyBias wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:09 pm

"Come and play and extra year with us and you'll get to pay full Vandy tuition!" doesn't sound as appealing as you think.
True, will add that his brother is a freshman at Lipscomb so his uncle and brother would both be big family ties in the city.
Locked Previous topicNext topic