Next Year's Center

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Next Year's Center

Post by MrMemorial »

VandyBias wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:10 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:06 pm Can 6-8 Malik Dia play some backup center?

He also had offers from Marquette, Creighton, TCU, St Johns, Loyola-Chicago, etc.
No way in hell. He weighs 190 max, would be absolutely bullied.
Guess who else weighed 190 as a senior in high school?

Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Don’t count on Liam paying his way even if he can afford the tuition and fees.

I think Scotty Pippen could afford Vanderbilt, but he’s taking the scholly.

As mentioned earlier, though, SOMEbody is going to transfer out.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:54 am
VandyBias wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:10 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:06 pm Can 6-8 Malik Dia play some backup center?

He also had offers from Marquette, Creighton, TCU, St Johns, Loyola-Chicago, etc.
No way in hell. He weighs 190 max, would be absolutely bullied.
Guess who else weighed 190 as a senior in high school?

Isn't he 6" taller? And he got absolutely bullied as a freshman. If Dia grows 3-4 inches he could in a few years maybe.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Versus75 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 am Don’t count on Liam paying his way even if he can afford the tuition and fees.

Somebody is almost certainly to include a player we would prefer to stay. Don't bother counting on players leaving who we think we might be able to do without, because it hasn't worked that way historically, and has gotten worse recently. Our last transfers included Disu, who was clearly our 2nd best player, and would have been even with the new players coming in. Also lost starter in Evans as well. In 2019 it was Ryan and Wetzel, neither of whom were great but probably would have been better under CJS. It is possible that we don't have any transfers or those who transfer are replaced by better players, but I wouldn't count upon it.

Honestly, if only players who can return actually return, we would be miles ahead of the last three seasons.
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

Jason94 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:11 pm
Versus75 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 am Don’t count on Liam paying his way even if he can afford the tuition and fees.

Somebody is almost certainly to include a player we would prefer to stay. Don't bother counting on players leaving who we think we might be able to do without, because it hasn't worked that way historically, and has gotten worse recently. Our last transfers included Disu, who was clearly our 2nd best player, and would have been even with the new players coming in. Also lost starter in Evans as well. In 2019 it was Ryan and Wetzel, neither of whom were great but probably would have been better under CJS. It is possible that we don't have any transfers or those who transfer are replaced by better players, but I wouldn't count upon it.

Honestly, if only players who can return actually return, we would be miles ahead of the last three seasons.
I think something that’s lost in the whole Bryce Drew fiasco is how poorly some of his players played. People forget that after leaving Vanderbilt, Yanni Wetzel started every game, played 28 minutes a game while being the primary rim protector and averaging about 12Pts-7RBs-1Ast-1Stl-1Blk on 60% from the field. This was for a 30-2, No. 6 in the nation, potential national championship contender in San Diego State. What did Bryce Drew get out of him? 6 points and 4 rebounds on 50 percent shooting in about 19 minutes. While Stackhouse certainly hasn’t done an incredible job the last two years, i’d be very scared to find out what those years would’ve looked under Bryce Drew.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Matt Ryan under Bryce Drew: 34% shooting / 32% from three / 75% FT / 8 ppg / 2 rpg / 1 assist pg

Matt Ryan after Bryce Dew: 42% shooting / 36% from three / 88% FT / 15 ppg / 5 rpg / 2 assists pg

Even his three throw shooting was 13% higher without Bryce Drew around him.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

VandyBias wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:21 pm
Jason94 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:11 pm

I think something that’s lost in the whole Bryce Drew fiasco is how poorly some of his players played. People forget that after leaving Vanderbilt, Yanni Wetzel started every game, played 28 minutes a game while being the primary rim protector and averaging about 12Pts-7RBs-1Ast-1Stl-1Blk on 60% from the field. This was for a 30-2, No. 6 in the nation, potential national championship contender in San Diego State. What did Bryce Drew get out of him? 6 points and 4 rebounds on 50 percent shooting in about 19 minutes. While Stackhouse certainly hasn’t done an incredible job the last two years, i’d be very scared to find out what those years would’ve looked under Bryce Drew.
it is fair to suggest that he would have played much better under CJS, and led to a much better season in 2020 - same thing with Ryan. We still would have been bad after Brown and Nesmith had gone down, but probably would have been a few wins better, and 14-18 feels a whole lot better than 11-21.

But it certainly isn't lost on a lot of people. Saben Lee played significantly better as a junior than he did as a sophomore. So did Maxwell Evans, who went from a pretty inefficient player who played good defense to an efficient player who played good defense. Last season in conference play Evans had an efficiency rating of 113.5 - as a sophomore his conference efficiency rating was 76.3. CJS needs to have enough stability this season and more importantly, have enough to build on for next seasons incoming class to show progress. FWIW, Kenpom has Vanderbilt projected to go 15-14 and 7-11 in conference, which is decent progress and assuming health, represents what I would consider to be the lower end of the 25-75th percentile for this season. Upper end probably being 10-8 in conference and 18-11 prior to the tournament, which would place us squarely on the bubble.
Locked Previous topicNext topic