How things have changed

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

How things have changed

Post by Dorewithaflare »

After buying a new college basketball book for 2022i saw that most schools where they use to show all the new freshman coming in it now shows all the transfers. Very few freshman. Makes you wonder what is going to happen to all the young high school kids.

commadore
Admiral

Re: How things have changed

Post by commadore »

Over all, the math is the same. You still have the same number of kids coming in as before. It is just that, as an example, in the past Vanderbilt would have three freshmen and Tennessee would have three and Alabama would have three. Now, Vanderbilt might have 2 freshmen, three transfers out and 4 transfers in. Alabama might have 4 freshmen, 2 transfers out and 2 transfers in. Tennessee might have 3 freshmen and no transfers out and no transfers in. Every transfer out has a transfer in somewhere, leaving the overall same number of openings for freshmen.
thefan
Captain

Post by thefan »

Kind of murders fan loyalty!
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

That is an interesting dynamics as I'm not sure if the transfer situation is a zero sum game. I suspect there are guys who transfer out who don't necessarily have the opportunity to transfer in on a scholarship somewhere else. They may go down to a D-II, D-III or NAIA or just leave college altogether.

The Kind of Murders fan loyalty statement probably does resonate with many fans as I simply took a look at Vandy's 2021-22 roster the other day and feel like it's a different school's roster.

Familiar
-----------
1. Pippen (2 yrs)
2. Wright (2 yrs)
3. Stute (1 yr)
4. Thomas (1 yr)
5. Millora-Brown (1 yr)
6. Lawrence (1 yr) (barely due to his early injury)

So 2 guys have been here 2 years, 4 guys for one year and everyone else is unfamiliar as the combination of the 4 transfers (Chatman, Frank, Mann, Robbins), 3 incoming freshmen (Dorsey, Daniels, Dezonie) and what appear to be 4 walk-ons.

Who knows what this roster will look like in 2022-23.
LanceGish
Petty Officer

Post by LanceGish »

Yep. Yet another reason I've pretty much lost all interest in NCAA hoops. Its just guys changing AAU teams.
Locked Previous topicNext topic