Recruiting

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Recruiting

Post by commadore »

Looks like Coach Stackhouse is still hitting the recruiting trail pretty hard. The 247 recruiting board still shows three guys who are warm, including a new one. Colin Smith, a 6'8" 200 pound four star power forward from Arizona, Will Richardson, a 6'2" 160 pound three star combo guard from JN, and Chandler Jackson, a 6'4" 205 pound four star combo guard from Memphis all have us as warm. Seems that if we were through recruiting we wouldn't still be after these guys.
Anyone have any additional news?

commadore
Admiral

Re: Recruiting

Post by commadore »

Guess no one cares, huh. Too interested in the big star V on the court.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I saw on Twitter Stack is high on Colin Smith....We need 4 star big guys 6'8" and up. Tired of combo guards. We are ate up with guards already. I think we only have one more spot left and that is if Pippen leaves unless someone else transfers.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

I read on 247 a while back that stack wants 4 guys for 2022. Colin Smith looks to be the best bet, 6'8 and can really shoot, perfect for pairing with lee dort in the frontcourt. His sister plays Volleyball at Stanford so I assume his family takes academics seriously. He's taking a visit (his last official) to Michigan today so I would predict a commitment within the next couple of weeks. He seems to be huge on the program from what I've seen, and he took two Offical Visits to Vandy in the last 3 months. He would be a huge get for the program in what would easily be the second-best recruiting class Vanderbilt has ever put together in the rankings/stars era.
SV#
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

VandyBias wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:34 am I read on 247 a while back that stack wants 4 guys for 2022. Colin Smith looks to be the best bet, 6'8 and can really shoot, perfect for pairing with lee dort in the frontcourt. His sister plays Volleyball at Stanford so I assume his family takes academics seriously. He's taking a visit (his last official) to Michigan today so I would predict a commitment within the next couple of weeks. He seems to be huge on the program from what I've seen, and he took two Offical Visits to Vandy in the last 3 months. He would be a huge get for the program in what would easily be the second-best recruiting class Vanderbilt has ever put together in the rankings/stars era.
SV#
Which past recruiting class is Vanderbilt's best?
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:37 pm
VandyBias wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:34 am I read on 247 a while back that stack wants 4 guys for 2022. Colin Smith looks to be the best bet, 6'8 and can really shoot, perfect for pairing with lee dort in the frontcourt. His sister plays Volleyball at Stanford so I assume his family takes academics seriously. He's taking a visit (his last official) to Michigan today so I would predict a commitment within the next couple of weeks. He seems to be huge on the program from what I've seen, and he took two Offical Visits to Vandy in the last 3 months. He would be a huge get for the program in what would easily be the second-best recruiting class Vanderbilt has ever put together in the rankings/stars era.
SV#
If you are talking just about ratings, then it is easy: Garland, Shittu, Neismith. If talking production, then it is up for debate.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

commadore wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:30 pm
SV#
If you are talking just about ratings, then it is easy: Garland, Shittu, Neismith. If talking production, then it is up for debate.
I think Dan Cage is the only VU basketball player who was on two Sweet 16 teams, 2004 and 2007. I also believe that he was the only freshman on the 2003-2004 team. If both of those beliefs are accurate, then he arguably constitutes the best recruiting class in terms of results.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
VandyBias
Ensign

Post by VandyBias »

commadore wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:30 pm
SV#
I meant ratings, my original post was wrong however. The 2018 class (Garland, Shittu, Nesmith) was ranked 12th nationally by 247, and third in the sec. 2022 class is similarly ranked as 13th nationally and third in the sec. With a Colin Smith commitment, the 2022 class would Vanderbilt’s best class ever in the 247 database at around the 9th-5th place range and 3rd or second in the sec (only behind Arkansas/Kentucky). Certainly a huge endorsement of Stacks recruiting prowess in just his 3rd class. (Not counting Pip’s year (2019) as those were mostly Bryce Drew recruits) If on-court results follow through, we could be in for a very successful time for Vandy basketball.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

For those who claim Stack is lazy or does not spend effort on recruiting, shame on you. He is getting after it, in my opinion to upgrade the program with better players. He is a warrior.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

LawoftheWest wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:10 am For those who claim Stack is lazy or does not spend effort on recruiting, shame on you.
That was mostly on the Rivals forum. Many of those posters have an "agenda" but to stay within forum rules and regulations, I won't elaborate on what "agenda" that is.
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

commadore wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:58 pm Guess no one cares, huh. Too interested in the big star V on the court.
Personally, I don't care about recruiting until the recruits are signed. Prior to that ... while its a free country, I sort of wish all recruiting databases and news sites would realize what an invasion of privacy into the lives of minors they are and would all voluntarily shut down.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

mathguy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:26 pm I sort of wish all recruiting databases and news sites would realize what an invasion of privacy into the lives of minors they are and would all voluntarily shut down.
Pretty sure THAT is going to happen. (major rolling of the eyeballs here)
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

mathguy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:26 pm
commadore wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:58 pm Guess no one cares, huh. Too interested in the big star V on the court.
Personally, I don't care about recruiting until the recruits are signed. Prior to that ... while its a free country, I sort of wish all recruiting databases and news sites would realize what an invasion of privacy into the lives of minors they are and would all voluntarily shut down.
I contend it is better than the old days when the recruits still got millions of calls and we had no idea about any of them until they were signed. If you think they didn't get contacted, you must be drinking the juice. Instead of texts, emails, and calls, they would get 2-3 calls a day from EACH coach. I remember a friend from church that ended up playing at tennessee in the late 70s. His mom said their phone was busy from 3:00 in the afternoon until 10:00 at night. Some of the coaches she had to tell if they called after 10:00, they were off the list.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

commadore wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:09 pm
I contend it is better than the old days when the recruits still got millions of calls and we had no idea about any of them until they were signed. If you think they didn't get contacted, you must be drinking the juice. Instead of texts, emails, and calls, they would get 2-3 calls a day from EACH coach. I remember a friend from church that ended up playing at tennessee in the late 70s. His mom said their phone was busy from 3:00 in the afternoon until 10:00 at night. Some of the coaches she had to tell if they called after 10:00, they were off the list.
And... highly academic kids get cards and letter and phone calls all the time. My daughter did. Finally we told a certain "Christian" (hint-hint) college in Memphis that I won't name (wink-wink) that she had no intention of considering them or even visiting and that they should stop the constant mail and phones calls and put that money into something less hopeless for them...that she was NOT going to their school. Period.

A certain state school in "North Alabama" called so much, we knew the girl's name by heart and could even imitate her debutante-like southern accent. :lol:
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

The basketball mojo has really improved over the years Stack has been here. As many of us recall, the vibe started a bit low (what with his lack of college coaching experience and our unusual AD at the time) and then got worse with our lack of immediate success. While there are too many new faces for me to have any realistic expectations this year i am decidedly more hopeful that we are finally turning the corner.

I'm hopeful that the same will transpire for football. While certain posters will be insufferable over the next 18 months or so, I'm hopeful change will occur here too. No matter what people say (or would like to see happen), real change always takes longer than one would like.
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Stack is finally getting in his rhythm with recruiting. Will take several more years of this kind of success to turn things around. Hope he stays long enough to reap the rewards. Also hope he toughens up his skin and unblocks all the Vandy fans he blocked....Go Dores!!!! Should be a much better season depending on how all the players' gel...
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:43 pm
mathguy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:26 pm I sort of wish all recruiting databases and news sites would realize what an invasion of privacy into the lives of minors they are and would all voluntarily shut down.
Pretty sure THAT is going to happen. (major rolling of the eyeballs here)
Yeah ... let's just say I'm not holding my breath :)
mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

commadore wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:09 pm
mathguy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:26 pm
I'm sure that was bad. With texts it *might* be less intrusive to the athlete on a daily basis. On the flip side though, you said then we had no idea about any of them. That's the part that I think is a good thing. I *shouldn't* know about any of them until they are signed. Hence, the only recruiting news I ever see is what's posted on this board ... and even then I often pass up threads that clearly only about a recruit (though I did apparently stumble into this one).
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

Apparently he just made a second official visit, which is good. But he also just made a visit to Michigan and received a visit from Juwan Howard, so Michigan is after him as well. 6'8" shooter. He looks like an interesting player. Fingers crossed!
Locked Previous topicNext topic