Who likes GOOD news?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Who likes GOOD news?

Post by MrMemorial »

Especially after last night...

Malik Dia, a three-star prospect in the 2022 class, has committed to the Vanderbilt Commodores. The 6-foot-8 forward out of Nashville Ensworth elected to stay home and play for Jerry Stackhouse over his other finalists including Georgia, Marquette, Creighton, etc.

What about it Nashmann? 8-) Cool, or what?

This was 2 years ago... looks like he can also play some guard...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LerCyW5qvR4

nyyankeeDore
Captain

Re: Who likes GOOD news?

Post by nyyankeeDore »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:49 pm Especially after last night...

Malik Dia, a three-star prospect in the 2022 class, has committed to the Vanderbilt Commodores. The 6-foot-8 forward out of Nashville Ensworth elected to stay home and play for Jerry Stackhouse over his other finalists including Georgia, Marquette, Creighton, etc.

He likes it. So do I.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Post by VUPKS »

I like good news.....welcome Malik!
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:49 pm Especially after last night...

I think it is great news!!! He's a good one :) Nice size!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Gambit
Ensign

Post by Gambit »

The competition did not seem stiff. His team seemed to be up by 30-50 points in most of the video. Still glad to have him, though.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

Looks like a good pick up - more of a wing player with inside height - looks to have good ball-handling and shooting skills but enough size to be effective inside defensively. Not overwhelmingly explosive (but then again, if he were he would be rated a lot higher and have offers from the likes of UK and Duke), but looks to be the type of player who can generate a lot of mismatches due to his guard skills despite having really good height. Also not a candidate to likely look to be jumping to the NBA early, but one who could be a really effective 3 or 4 year college player. As would be expected, he could use more muscle, but again, well built players at the age of 18 with his skill would attract a lot more attention.

Could potentially be a great pickup IMO. A type of player that opposing teams and fans get really sick of, because he has skills that can make him effective immediately, and if he develops his body could be an All-SEC or potentially an SEC POTY type of player depending upon how good the team is.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

Recent videos show he has gained some weight and is much stronger. A pipeline to Ensworth would be a huge plus, locally!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:54 pm Looks like a good pick up - more of a wing player with inside height - looks to have good ball-handling and shooting skills but enough size to be effective inside defensively. Not overwhelmingly explosive (but then again, if he were he would be rated a lot higher and have offers from the likes of UK and Duke), but looks to be the type of player who can generate a lot of mismatches due to his guard skills despite having really good height. Also not a candidate to likely look to be jumping to the NBA early, but one who could be a really effective 3 or 4 year college player. As would be expected, he could use more muscle, but again, well built players at the age of 18 with his skill would attract a lot more attention.

Could potentially be a great pickup IMO. A type of player that opposing teams and fans get really sick of, because he has skills that can make him effective immediately, and if he develops his body could be an All-SEC or potentially an SEC POTY type of player depending upon how good the team is.
Kyle Anderson's deliberate style to compare has gained him the nickname "Slo-Mo" but on the other hand was a first round draft pick out of UCLA and is entering his 7th year in the NBA.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Gambit wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:11 am The competition did not seem stiff. His team seemed to be up by 30-50 points in most of the video. Still glad to have him, though.
No matter what the level of competition is, the ball still has to go into the basket when flung towards it, and I saw plenty of that.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

VUaskew wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:44 am
Gambit wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:11 am The competition did not seem stiff. His team seemed to be up by 30-50 points in most of the video. Still glad to have him, though.
No matter what the level of competition is, the ball still has to go into the basket when flung towards it, and I saw plenty of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshsomuB2EE

This video is more recent. Shows good ball-handling and overall movement with the basketball as well as good overall post awareness - not explosive when handling but can get up from a two foot jump. 6'-8" player who can handle, work inside and extend to the three point line - lots to like here - would have been a really good replacement for Disu, even down to the similar last name.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:29 pm
VUaskew wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:44 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshsomuB2EE

This video is more recent. Shows good ball-handling and overall movement with the basketball as well as good overall post awareness - not explosive when handling but can get up from a two foot jump. 6'-8" player who can handle, work inside and extend to the three point line - lots to like here - would have been a really good replacement for Disu, even down to the similar last name.
He has the potential to end up better than Disu. Dia is already 220 lbs (rumor) thus could end up 230-235. Disu was a 31% shooter from three in college. Dia could potentially end up much better. And if he plays interior defense - a big plus. Lots to like about this.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:43 pm
Jason94 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:54 pm Looks like a good pick up - more of a wing player with inside height - looks to have good ball-handling and shooting skills but enough size to be effective inside defensively. Not overwhelmingly explosive (but then again, if he were he would be rated a lot higher and have offers from the likes of UK and Duke), but looks to be the type of player who can generate a lot of mismatches due to his guard skills despite having really good height. Also not a candidate to likely look to be jumping to the NBA early, but one who could be a really effective 3 or 4 year college player. As would be expected, he could use more muscle, but again, well built players at the age of 18 with his skill would attract a lot more attention.

Kyle Anderson's deliberate style to compare has gained him the nickname "Slo-Mo" but on the other hand was a first round draft pick out of UCLA and is entering his 7th year in the NBA.
I'm digging the signing. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Slo-Mo was a McDonald's All-American, a two-time NJ state champion, and a top-ten, five-star recruit.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

TwoSaints wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:57 am
I'm digging the signing. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Slo-Mo was a McDonald's All-American, a two-time NJ state champion, and a top-ten, five-star recruit.
Obi Toppin had no D-1 offers out of high school and had to play an extra year at Mt. Zion Prep to even get mid-major offers. So, at the same age Dia is well ahead of where Toppin was.

I'm digging the signing too. And glad to have guys who won't be 1-&-done... looking at UK last season. :o
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:13 am
TwoSaints wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:57 am
Obi Toppin had no D-1 offers out of high school and had to play an extra year at Mt. Zion Prep to even get mid-major offers. So, at the same age Dia is well ahead of where Toppin was.

I'm digging the signing too. And glad to have guys who won't be 1-&-done... looking at UK last season. :o
for every Obi Toppin, there are 100's of players who do not make it to the NBA - his example is not particularly useful in Malik Dia's case. Even if everything works out great in Dia's development, odds of him being a NBA player of any impact are very long. As a 3 star freshman who hasn't played a single college game, comparing him to Toppin doesn't make a lot of sense. About 300 players were ahead of Toppin just from his class at that age, and he passed nearly all of them. Pretty much every player we've every recruited was ahead of Toppin at this age. The head start is meaningless in this case because it applies to most everyone.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Toppin only averaged 4ppg his first NBA season and Slo-Mo 2.2ppg his first.

I wouldn't rule out one our valued recruits from equaling or surpassing that.
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

Welcome aboard Malik!!!!
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:40 pm Toppin only averaged 4ppg his first NBA season and Slo-Mo 2.2ppg his first.

I wouldn't rule out one our valued recruits from equaling or surpassing that.
Nobody is ruling out anything, but you also can't rule out someone becoming the next Matthew Moyer either. Which is why such comparisons so early on make little sense. What is a likely range? I would suggest it is neither as high as Toppin or low as Moyer, which is why I wouldn't compare him to either.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I think he could be comparable in the NBA to Robert Covington. Similar size. Covington is an NBA career 36% from three guy. Not Klay or Curry but not horrible.

Or maybe Darius Bazley who got a slow start in the NBA but had a good second year.
Or the Morris twins. Or sort of Paul Reed-ish.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

This guy has a stated goal of the NBA.

Are we going to waste time treasure and roster to anyone who can potentially have a single decent season? Then he is gone.
If recent recruits showed anything, it is that they care nothing for team , university, community. education..

I am disgusted with this, again. I am amazed to believe we think recruiting one year players is going to work for us.
It hasn't, it won't.

Time for a whole new approach. Anything else will send us down a failure rabbit hole-as we have witnessed with this current coach and staff.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Last time I checked it was the PREVIOUS coach that...

Had the worst losing streak in program history.
Worst SEC record in school history.
Worst league record in 70 years.
Locked Previous topicNext topic