Who likes GOOD news?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Jason94
Admiral

Re: Who likes GOOD news?

Post by Jason94 »

jpmando wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:15 pm This guy has a stated goal of the NBA.

Are we going to waste time treasure and roster to anyone who can potentially have a single decent season? Then he is gone.
If recent recruits showed anything, it is that they care nothing for team , university, community. education..

I am disgusted with this, again. I am amazed to believe we think recruiting one year players is going to work for us.
It hasn't, it won't.

Time for a whole new approach. Anything else will send us down a failure rabbit hole-as we have witnessed with this current coach and staff.
I think MrMemorial is confusing you - this player is very unlikely to be a one and done player. He is not likely comparable in terms of immediate impact to any of the players mentioned, and is more likely to be a 4 year guy. I didn't see (at least in the highlight videos) the top end athleticism that is typically required for a player to get drafted after 1 or 2 seasons.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Dude, what part of (quote me from this thread yesterday):

"And glad to have guys who won't be 1-&-done."

seemed to say the opposite of what it said???
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:17 pm
jpmando wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:15 pm This guy has a stated goal of the NBA.

Are we going to waste time treasure and roster to anyone who can potentially have a single decent season? Then he is gone.
If recent recruits showed anything, it is that they care nothing for team , university, community. education..

I am disgusted with this, again. I am amazed to believe we think recruiting one year players is going to work for us.
It hasn't, it won't.

Time for a whole new approach. Anything else will send us down a failure rabbit hole-as we have witnessed with this current coach and staff.
I think MrMemorial is confusing you - this player is very unlikely to be a one and done player. He is not likely comparable in terms of immediate impact to any of the players mentioned, and is more likely to be a 4 year guy. I didn't see (at least in the highlight videos) the top end athleticism that is typically required for a player to get drafted after 1 or 2 seasons.
I'm not sure Paul Reed was considered an "impact recruit" out of high school. His 247 composite ranking was #271 in the nation. (3 stars)

Verbal Commits still shows him as a 2-star with mostly mid-major offers.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Funny previous coach also recruited Lakey, Foster, Neltner, Ezeli, Kornet etc etc Sure Wade Baldwin too- and times have changed. However...

My point is that we are different, should emphasize it, recruit to it. You cannot convince me EVER that there
are not any talented, team-oriented, top notch players who care about the long term value of a Vanderbilt education, in a desirable major city. If nothing else, I feel sure their parents do-a critical factor.

Sure, baseball is a different game with different rules, but nobody required David Price to finish his final year before moving to major league baseball. It seems the Corbin factor was a big part of the decision, at least from what I read at the time. We need to target the players who fit our program-not be a NBA minor league
pipeline. Other programs are known for that, and I don't think we should be.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

I'm pretty sure the previous coach to the present one was named Bryce Drew. Not Stallings.

Does THIS sound like Stallings or Bryce Drew...

Had the worst losing streak in program history.
Worst SEC record in school history.
Worst league record in 70 years.
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:29 pm
VUaskew wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:44 am
Gambit wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:11 am The competition did not seem stiff. His team seemed to be up by 30-50 points in most of the video. Still glad to have him, though.
No matter what the level of competition is, the ball still has to go into the basket when flung towards it, and I saw plenty of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshsomuB2EE

This video is more recent. Shows good ball-handling and overall movement with the basketball as well as good overall post awareness - not explosive when handling but can get up from a two foot jump. 6'-8" player who can handle, work inside and extend to the three point line - lots to like here - would have been a really good replacement for Disu, even down to the similar last name.
Not a scout by any means, but I thought I saw some nice moves in the paint, nice passes, and some nice dribble drives. Seems to do a little bit of everything.

Something it seems a lot of VU players have had - even some of our best ones - is at least one very weak area of their game that opponents exploit to death. Maybe Dia won't be like that.

I don't think there is ever a downside to signing a freaky talented player who leaves early. No reason to turn those guys away if you can get them.
But the best teams do usually seem to have a couple-few four year players who are very talented but not quite lottery pick talented. As upperclassmen they add a lot ot the team.
jpmando
Commander

Post by jpmando »

Well Stallings was my focus, Drew seems like a bad dream-was it real?

At the time I think Stallings had worst SEC record among Vandy coaches. But the important point is to
recruit to the strength of the program and University. NBA prep should not be prioritized in my opinion.

And by the way, it is more fun to try to beat the one-and- done programs anyway. We should be doing it, and
can, with the right players. A few of whom were mentioned.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Drew's last season was the "Temple game all over again" x 1000. Plus UNLV times ETSU squared.
Locked Previous topicNext topic