Looks like SPJ has an NIL deal with Raising Canes

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Looks like SPJ has an NIL deal with Raising Canes

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

The chicken tender chain had already announced it is coming to Nashville:

[tweet][/tweet]

nyyankeeDore
Captain

Re: Looks like SPJ has an NIL deal with Raising Canes

Post by nyyankeeDore »

He has a better look than the Colonel.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Versus75
Admiral

My first chicken choice is still Chick-fil-A ...

Post by Versus75 »

... but I enjoy Raising Cane's and Zaxby's as well. Surprised that this is the first Raising Cane's in Nashville.

I see from this article in The Tennessean that the store will be on White Bridge Road near Harding Pike.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entert ... 502711001/

Unrelated to the Chicken Wars: The Tennessean article links to another story about Whataburger restaurants coming to Nashville. Wasn't there a Whataburger on Nolensville Road/Pike just north of Harding Place in the 70's? I believe my cousin worked there while she was in high school at the time I enrolled at Vanderbilt (1971).
Starkiller
Commander

Re: My first chicken choice is still Chick-fil-A ...

Post by Starkiller »

Versus75 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:45 pm ... but I enjoy Raising Cane's and Zaxby's as well. Surprised that this is the first Raising Cane's in Nashville.

I see from this article in The Tennessean that the store will be on White Bridge Road near Harding Pike.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entert ... 502711001/

Unrelated to the Chicken Wars: The Tennessean article links to another story about Whataburger restaurants coming to Nashville. Wasn't there a Whataburger on Nolensville Road/Pike just north of Harding Place in the 70's? I believe my cousin worked there while she was in high school at the time I enrolled at Vanderbilt (1971).
I know there was a Whataburger on Charlotte in West Nashville back in the 70's to early 80's. The chain used to be here back in the day.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Versus75 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:45 pm
We actually still have the 5 cent coffee refill mug (aka "Nickel Mug") from the Nolensville Rd. location from back in the 80's. It's a nice looking high quality mug so we kept it all these years. And yes, we plan to take it to one of the new locations and see if they will honor it with 5 cent refills, just for kicks.

Somebody wants $25 for one on ebay.

mathguy
Rear Admiral

Post by mathguy »

Versus75 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:45 pm ... but I enjoy Raising Cane's and Zaxby's as well. Surprised that this is the first Raising Cane's in Nashville.
I like to say that I boycott Chik-Fil-A because of the political views of the owner (personal choice, not trying to start a political argument) ...

... but the truth is even before I found out about that I had been boycotting them because of their bland, flavorless chicken.

I've never eaten at Cane's because of their lack of menu variety (it's just chicken fingers ... they don't even have patties ... just fingers), but I've heard their dipping sauce is addictive.

For my tastes, give me Zaxby's or Popeye's!!
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

mathguy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:52 pm
I like to say that I boycott Chik-Fil-A because of the political views of the owner (personal choice, not trying to start a political argument) ...
:roll:
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

... but the truth is even before I found out about that I had been boycotting them because of their bland, flavorless chicken.

I've never eaten at Cane's because of their lack of menu variety (it's just chicken fingers ... they don't even have patties ... just fingers), but I've heard their dipping sauce is addictive.

For my tastes, give me Zaxby's or Popeye's!!
[/quote]

Okay, leaving politics out, I’ve never really understood all the Chik-fil-A fuss either. It’s juicy, well cooked chicken, yes. So I get that part. But mathguy is right, it’s really bland. Like very boring food. Whereas the Popeyes spicy chicken sandwich is just a great chicken sandwich.
DoreRayMe
Lieutenant

Post by DoreRayMe »

In my book its hard to beat the Chick-fil-A Spicy Chicken Sandwich paired with their Mac and Cheese...at least in a fast food setting. I don't disagree that their Regular Sandwich is bland. To me what sets CFA apart is their efficiency and customer service. You can be 10th in line there and you get your food in less time than if you are second in line at many 'fast food' joints. It is also reliably fresh and as I ordered it. Zaxby's is not bad. Popeyes - meh. The really disturbing thing is that fast food chicken has elicited this much discussion vs. other threads in recent weeks.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

As a VU fan who is interested with what is going on with our student-athletes and the new concept of N-I-L (not the old high school league in Davidson County)... I don't go to CFA and also no longer spend money at Hobby Lobby or Publix. Thus I would prefer to see our respected student-athletes get those endorsements elsewhere. Thrilled to see SP Jr. getting a deserved endorsement. I wish that chain (franchise?) had a location closer than 70 miles away. Maybe that's what they are fishing for.

Sam Ridley Pkwy which divides LaVergne and Smyrna has almost every food place and is now also getting a Whataburger and a Freddy's, could stand to have a Raising Canes. Put it right over by where Toots and Buffalo Wild Wings are and have a chicken tenders war. As a Vanderbilt sports fan, that is my take.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

The original owner of Chick-Fil-A passed away in 2014. His heirs (several) now own the company. The original owner was a devout Baptist, but the religious views of his heirs are not so clear. I am not a Baptist or a fundamentalist. However, I do not like anyone of any persuasion trying to impose their religious beliefs (including atheism) on anyone else, whether right, left or whatever. That includes boycotts for any cause. We are a free country where we should be able to discuss issues, condemn others we do not agree with, through boycotts, or otherwise.

The Chick-Fil-A Foundation has set aside $9 million for 2020 that will be split between three initiatives: promoting youth education, combating youth homelessness, and fighting hunger. Those funds will be distributed to Junior Achievement USA, Covenant House International, and local food banks in cities where the chain opens new locations. So, the source of complaints and boycotts are gone, yet people still want to boycott, even as the sales of Chick-Fil-A continue to soar.

As to whether or not you like their food is a personal choice. Some people are fine with relatively bland food; some want spicy; unfortunately, too many want fried food. People in the South tend to like fried food. That is why the South is sometimes called the "Stroke Belt".

Myself, I prefer to eat healthy food, sometimes bland, sometimes spicy, but for many years I have avoided fried food. I have had one steak in probably 40 years. That one steak was at Jimmy Kellys in Nashville during a law school reunion. It was one of the worst meals I have ever had in over 50 years.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Not to turn this into "Yelp" but Jimmy Kelly's has a surprising number of negatives reviews out there. You would think for the $$$ and for an outfit that has been around 85 years, it would be better. Just like VU football should be better and I think under the leadership of CCL it will be.

Not to be too picky, but isn't 9 million like .002% of CFA's sales last year? Color me unimpressed on that. Just as I was unimpressed by last season's VU football results and even more unimpressed by Bryce Drew.
Last edited by MrMemorial on Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

How is this thread not stopped? It technically has nothing to do with VU football as is stated in the rules above for at least the last 6-7 posts.
Dorewithaflare
Vice Admiral

Post by Dorewithaflare »

Just don't go there if you don't like his views. I think they will make it o.k.
bornadore57
Lieutenant

Post by bornadore57 »

Scotty returning to Vandy for this coming year is helpful in many ways. The 'Dores should be more competitive and we should have better discussions on this board because of that. In addition, his name value will lead to some NIL opportunities which should open the door for future 'Dores. His return is a boost to the program, for sure. Here's hoping that return will help lead us to more interest in Vanderbilt basketball (and less interest in chicken)!
egbertsouse
Captain

Post by egbertsouse »

I'd never heard of Raisin' Cane's. I did check out their menu and it did seem monotone. I was very disappointed to see they served crinkle cut fries which are an abomination.
accent grave over the e
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

egbertsouse wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:39 pm
I'd never heard of Raisin' Cane's. I did check out their menu and it did seem monotone. I was very disappointed to see they served crinkle cut fries which are an abomination.
Proverbs 6:16–19 lists seven things which are abominations and it clearly states "thou shalt not condemn crinkle cut fries to burn in a lake of fire as long as they are seasoned with a cajun type seasoning like Zaxby does as well as a number of sports bars"

Proverbs 15:8 - The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination but thou fries that are crispy and fresh are a delight. This does not preclude crinkle cut or curly fries even though certain very strict denominations obviously will be more approving of "straight" fries.
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

MrMemorial wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:42 pm
egbertsouse wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:39 pm

Proverbs 6:16–19 lists seven things which are abominations and it clearly states "thou shalt not condemn crinkle cut fries to burn in a lake of fire as long as they are seasoned with a cajun type seasoning like Zaxby does as well as a number of sports bars"

Proverbs 15:8 - The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination but thou fries that are crispy and fresh are a delight. This does not preclude crinkle cut or curly fries even though certain very strict denominations obviously will be more approving of "straight" fries.

Fries are heart attack (and stroke) city. Not healthy, not for me. I have not had fries for over 50 years. Fried food is the bane of the South, leading to too many premature deaths.

83 years old and still practicing law, not because I need the money, but because I enjoy solving problems, negotiating, interacting with people and resolving complex issues.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

My great grand-pappy from Montgomery Alabama ate fried food every day of his life. Food deep-fried in lard, none of this newfangled canola oil... and he lived to be 112 years young and plowed the field at 5 a.m every day. He'd start his day with some fried bacon and fried eggs with fried cornbread on the side. Then for lunch some country fried steak with fried mozzarella sticks and a fried Oreo for a snack. Of course, fried chicken for dinner and maybe a fried Twinkie like they sold at the county fair.

You know what killed him? His car hit a deer while he was driving to church between Prattville and Millbrook. A real shame since he was about to join Mensa International. His IQ was over 150. And he could still drive like Mario Andretti and certainly didn't need "little blue pills" if you catch me drift. At least that's what the lady-folk at the church social used to whisper.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:50 am My great grand-pappy from Montgomery Alabama ate fried food every day of his life. Food deep-fried in lard, none of this newfangled canola oil... and he lived to be 112 years young and plowed the field at 5 a.m every day. He'd start his day with some fried bacon and fried eggs with fried cornbread on the side. Then for lunch some country fried steak with fried mozzarella sticks and a fried Oreo for a snack. Of course, fried chicken for dinner and maybe a fried Twinkie like they sold at the county fair.

You know what killed him? His car hit a deer while he was driving to church between Prattville and Millbrook. A real shame since he was about to join Mensa International. His IQ was over 150. And he could still drive like Mario Andretti and certainly didn't need "little blue pills" if you catch me drift. At least that's what the lady-folk at the church social used to whisper.
Was he near the Catfish House?
Locked Previous topicNext topic