Howard Pride is Stewart Creek basketball coach

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

Golddore68
Admiral

Howard Pride is Stewart Creek basketball coach

Post by Golddore68 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dnj.com/amp/5176413002

I don’t know if there’s been a thread about this yet. He was a star at Vanderbilt in the Stallings era. He coached in Huntsville Ala., and now is moving back to Middle Tennessee to coach at Stewarts Creek.

Good luck to him. The district he’s in, all Rutherford County teams, is brutal. Blackman usually wins the district. Last year Siegel unexpectedly won it and Siegel’s coach left there to become Oakland’s coach. Stewarts Creek boys haven’t done well in basketball.

It really is a matter of the feeder middle school teams. Blackman boys and Riverdale girls seem to get the best players from the middle schools each year. Sometimes these players will be playing in other middle schools and their parent(s) mysteriously move so they can play for Blackman and Riverdale in high school. Hmmm ….

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Howard Pride is Stewart Creek basketball coach

Post by MrMemorial »

That article is from May 2020.

Stewie has been good in baseball and girl's hoops. The only really good (male) basketball player they had so far was Jy'lan Washington. Three years at LaTech and a grad season at TSU.

Plays pro ball in Europe now.

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/playe ... ket/369568

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... washington
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

Update: I checked and saw Stewarts Creek was 13-11 last season, Howard Pride’s first year coaching. That doesn’t sound too impressive, until you realize it’s Stewarts Creek’s first winning season since the 2014-2015 season. The last five years they’ve been 10-18, 11-18, 5-25, 12-20 and 9-21. In the 2014-2015 season they were 16-13.
dorepleganger
Rear Admiral

Post by dorepleganger »

Good for Howard.

A quick point of order - Howard played under VBK. He was the only player recruited by Folger who came to Vanderbilt after Fogler left for SC. He had some injury issues during his career (foot problems IIRC.) Howard graduated in 1997. I know this because we are classmates & were in the same freshman dorm (Kissam).
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

Golddore68 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:12 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dnj.com/amp/5176413002

I don’t know if there’s been a thread about this yet. He was a star at Vanderbilt in the Stallings era. He coached in Huntsville Ala., and now is moving back to Middle Tennessee to coach at Stewarts Creek.

Good luck to him. The district he’s in, all Rutherford County teams, is brutal. Blackman usually wins the district. Last year Siegel unexpectedly won it and Siegel’s coach left there to become Oakland’s coach. Stewarts Creek boys haven’t done well in basketball.

It really is a matter of the feeder middle school teams. Blackman boys and Riverdale girls seem to get the best players from the middle schools each year. Sometimes these players will be playing in other middle schools and their parent(s) mysteriously move so they can play for Blackman and Riverdale in high school. Hmmm ….
Howard was recruited by Eddie Fogler and played for coach Jan van Breda Kolff.
I am glad he is coaching in Nashville.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Gambit
Ensign

Post by Gambit »

dorepleganger wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:33 am Good for Howard.

A quick point of order - Howard played under VBK. He was the only player recruited by Folger who came to Vanderbilt after Fogler left for SC. He had some injury issues during his career (foot problems IIRC.) Howard graduated in 1997. I know this because we are classmates & were in the same freshman dorm (Kissam).
Howard and I were the same year too. We had a couple of classes together freshman year and I knew him a little. Seemed a humble and nice dude.
Locked Previous topicNext topic