Hold on to your wallet….,

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

DS2001
Rear Admiral

Hold on to your wallet….,

Post by DS2001 »

Basketball season ticket emails were sent today and priority seating “donations” in the seats closest to the court have nearly doubled. My seats in Section F now require a $450 PER SEAT “Donation” which is “0%” tax deductible. That’s $900 plus the regular cost of the season ticket. I’ll have to move back up top somewhere. I suppose they’re counting on Stack to double his SEC win total to 6 this coming season and fans are going to come flooding back to Memorial.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: Hold on to your wallet….,

Post by MrMemorial »

We live in a time of price gouging. $200+ a night for mediocre hotels that were $80 a night before the pandemic. The price to buy a car. (microchip shortage) The price to rent a car (same reason). The price to simply eat some wings or ribs at a sport bar. The price for nose-bleed upper bowl Predators hockey tickets that just went on sale.

Every business is now in full money-grab mode. They think that because people couldn't go to their favorite restaurant for a year and now are going back out and doing things, that consumers will all throw money around like drunken sailors on crack. People need to keep their pants on for a while and resist the urge to over-spend and you know what will happen? The money-grab will subside. Prices will drop.

I've heard all the "but-but-but... they're just trying to make up for some of the money they lost during the pandemic." My take? If they are going to charge more, the product needs to be better than ever and looking at the hotel and restaurant reviews recently, the exact opposite is happening. A poorer product for drastically increased prices and I for one am not going along with it. If I have to sit at home and watch VU basketball and Preds hockey from my living room and not splurge on travel and concerts and sports and going out to eat... then that's how it will be.
bernstml19
Lieutenant

Post by bernstml19 »

Actually, sounds like inflation.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Paying more at Kroger or Publix for a bag of groceries is normal inflation. It happens.

Getting a letter warning that your pair of end zone seats for college basketball will now be well over a thousand bucks is not normal inflation. Some might call it price gouging. Some might call it an unreasonable money grab. There are lots of names that could apply and people should let McGugin Center know they will not put up with it if they see it as an unreasonable money increase.

And VU is not alone. Look at all the good players the Preds let go of the last two years and now jacked the price of tickets way up anyway while filling in the roster with mystery names. I'm already paying too much for AT&T Now streaming to be able to see the Grizz and Preds and paying TDS too much for internet, thus something will have to NOT get spent on and that would be NHL hockey tickets this season unless they run some kind of special.

And any place that now wants twenty bucks for a brisket sandwich that was ten bucks before the pandemic will also be losing my business. I'm in "speaking out with my wallet" mode right now. And I'm far from broke. It just seems ridiculous to toss money around like a drunken sailor on crack and give in to unfathomable greed out there.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:12 am We live in a time of price gouging. $200+ a night for mediocre hotels that were $80 a night before the pandemic. The price to buy a car. (microchip shortage) The price to rent a car (same reason). The price to simply eat some wings or ribs at a sport bar. The price for nose-bleed upper bowl Predators hockey tickets that just went on sale.

Every business is now in full money-grab mode. They think that because people couldn't go to their favorite restaurant for a year and now are going back out and doing things, that consumers will all throw money around like drunken sailors on crack. People need to keep their pants on for a while and resist the urge to over-spend and you know what will happen? The money-grab will subside. Prices will drop.

I've heard all the "but-but-but... they're just trying to make up for some of the money they lost during the pandemic." My take? If they are going to charge more, the product needs to be better than ever and looking at the hotel and restaurant reviews recently, the exact opposite is happening. A poorer product for drastically increased prices and I for one am not going along with it. If I have to sit at home and watch VU basketball and Preds hockey from my living room and not splurge on travel and concerts and sports and going out to eat... then that's how it will be.
I agree that the commodore club donation is insane given the overall quality of the product we've put on the court over the last 5 season. I remember when they were selling season tickets for $75 in 2005, and that was without a donation, and that was coming off or a sweet 16 appearance. The overall value of VU for the price of admission has dropped tremendously and honestly I was a bit relieved that they didn't offer season tickets last season, as it saved me time of going to the gym to watch us lose to every decent opponent except for 1. You would think that with this season being the hope that we start to turn things around that they would price tickets to try to improve the atmosphere (which has been horrible due to the product), but to price them as though we are SEC champion contenders is counter-productive.

But Outside of the sports thing, the things you list are completely a combination of surge demand, worker shortages, material shortages and monetary devaluation. Construction materials have absolutely inflated over the past 12 months when they are available. Lead times for key materials and products are insane, and that drives price increases, as owners/contractors are willing to pay higher prices instead of having to wait an extra 6 months. Some demand could be reduced by people not travelling, but that is an unlikely thing given the lack of travelling that occurred in 2020. And that only serves to push off demand later, resulting in a surge at that point.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:10 am
MrMemorial wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:12 am We live in a time of price gouging. $200+ a night for mediocre hotels that were $80 a night before the pandemic. The price to buy a car. (microchip shortage) The price to rent a car (same reason). The price to simply eat some wings or ribs at a sport bar. The price for nose-bleed upper bowl Predators hockey tickets that just went on sale.

I agree that the commodore club donation is insane given the overall quality of the product we've put on the court over the last 5 season. I remember when they were selling season tickets for $75 in 2005, and that was without a donation, and that was coming off or a sweet 16 appearance. The overall value of VU for the price of admission has dropped tremendously and honestly I was a bit relieved that they didn't offer season tickets last season, as it saved me time of going to the gym to watch us lose to every decent opponent except for 1. You would think that with this season being the hope that we start to turn things around that they would price tickets to try to improve the atmosphere (which has been horrible due to the product), but to price them as though we are SEC champion contenders is counter-productive.

But Outside of the sports thing, the things you list are completely a combination of surge demand, worker shortages, material shortages and monetary devaluation. Construction materials have absolutely inflated over the past 12 months when they are available. Lead times for key materials and products are insane, and that drives price increases, as owners/contractors are willing to pay higher prices instead of having to wait an extra 6 months. Some demand could be reduced by people not travelling, but that is an unlikely thing given the lack of travelling that occurred in 2020. And that only serves to push off demand later, resulting in a surge at that point.
You missed one. I have talked to several restaurant owners who raised ptices. To a person, they said they had to vastly increase pay for servers, cooks, diswashers, etc., Just to get them to come back to work. One said he had paid servers minimum wage plus tips before. Now he is paying $12.00 plus tips.
Not to get too political, but I personally think the unemployment extension is a backhanded way to force employers to raise wages. Not crazy about that, but an effective strategy if true. That in itself will cause inflation.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Not to be political on my end either, but if the minimum wage did rise in step with productivity growth since 1968 it would be over $24 an hour today. Maybe if businesses had paid more than poverty starvation wages all these years, the $14 or $15 an hour Target and Costco now start people at would not be such a (supposed) shock to their bottom line. The 13th Amendment, adopted on December 18, 1865, officially abolished slavery but apparently many businesses didn't get the memo and if they did get the memo, decided to ignore it.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:57 pm Not to be political on my end either, but if the minimum wage did rise in step with productivity growth since 1968 it would be over $24 an hour today. Maybe if businesses had paid more than poverty starvation wages all these years, the $14 or $15 an hour Target and Costco now start people at would not be such a (supposed) shock to their bottom line. The 13th Amendment, adopted on December 18, 1865, officially abolished slavery but apparently many businesses didn't get the memo and if they did get the memo, decided to ignore it.
I think a current jump to $15 would be a shock to the system, but I do agree that they need to index it to inflation. Maybe raise it to $10 now and then up annually by the same as Social Security or the CPI.
OldDude
Vice Admiral

Post by OldDude »

Just opened my email and checked the price - we are in 2F- and not sure it is much more than I was paying for tickets and C club /parking before so I am okay. However, I do side with those saying that now, given a rather poor product and no buzz about success in the coming season, is a poor time to introduce any price increase. Further, given the Covid challenge, there is no guarantee that all games will even be played in front of an audience. Seems a talented marketing group would look at a shrinking target market and a declining quality of the product and come to the decision to hold price in hopes of at least maintaining revenue level.
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

The total cost of my tickets for the upcoming season is $200 per ticket less than in 2019-2020.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

commadore wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:10 pm
I think a current jump to $15 would be a shock to the system, but I do agree that they need to index it to inflation. Maybe raise it to $10 now and then up annually by the same as Social Security or the CPI.
I just looked at Costco stock. Up almost 33% in the last year, while paying employees more and keeping prices low. It can be done. On the other hand, many businesses can't wait to use the scapegoat of paying more as a cover/excuse/deflection for their unabashed greedy ways. Blame the lowest people on the totem pole while the CEO buys another yacht or two.

Look, I don't mind paying a reasonable amount more at Kroger or Publix (which I'm doing anyway these days) for things you have to have. The new flapper for the toilet tank last week at Home Depot... a bit higher than it used to be but you have to have it. A bottle of Drano from Target...so it's a buck higher now. Whatever. But purchases that are not an absolute must? I'll keep that $$$ in my pocket if a retailer is out-of-their-mind greedy.
vandylifer
Lieutenant

Post by vandylifer »

Your responses/discussion are very good. I tend to agree that Vandy should have held off a year and given out some notice. That said . . . I sit on row 1 of 2J and thinking we will have at least 18 home games (give or take a game) my 2 seats average out to $25 each per game. If we are going to "play with the BIG boys" in the SEC that is probably a reasonable price. I teach/coach at a local high school and we charge $6 per adult -- so a SEC/NCAA game being 3 times as much doesn't blow my mind.
I'm excited Pippen stayed so lets AD*
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:41 pm
commadore wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:10 pm
I just looked at Costco stock. Up almost 33% in the last year, while paying employees more and keeping prices low. It can be done. On the other hand, many businesses can't wait to use the scapegoat of paying more as a cover/excuse/deflection for their unabashed greedy ways. Blame the lowest people on the totem pole while the CEO buys another yacht or two.

Look, I don't mind paying a reasonable amount more at Kroger or Publix (which I'm doing anyway these days) for things you have to have. The new flapper for the toilet tank last week at Home Depot... a bit higher than it used to be but you have to have it. A bottle of Drano from Target...so it's a buck higher now. Whatever. But purchases that are not an absolute must? I'll keep that $$$ in my pocket if a retailer is out-of-their-mind greedy.
I am thinking more of the mom and pop businesses which make up the majority of business in the United States. The independent restaurants, the general stores, the franchised gas stations or even the franchised McDonalds. Those guys would struggle to go from $7.25 to $15 an hour. Day care workers who make $8 an hour and the day care is just getting by. Yes, Costco, Walmart, Target, Boeing, Exxon and the like could most likely afford well over $15, and many do pay over, but small business couldn't handle it.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree on some things.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

I hear it all, but one thing is a fact, your costs are the same to run a program whether you win 30 games or lose 30 games. Same number of scholarships, same number of meals, same utility bills, same number of athletic trainers, etc.

While it would be great if sports product prices were tied to team performance, its really difficult to make that a reality.

That being said, the non-deductible donation on top of the ticket price has always felt like BS to me. Naked money grab that is shameful. But everybody does it now.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Not to defend colleges in their money grab, 20 NFL teams (including the titans) require a PSL purchase or similar by a different name. As do four NBA teams, five MLB teams, four automotive race tracks, two NHL teams, one surprisingly being in Columbus Ohio...not exactly the hockey center of the universe.

Just thought you sports fans might find that interesting and informative. I have some very entertaining things I could says about some time I spent in Columbus long ago but that will have to wait for another day.**

For example:

** Long before the "Ancient Aliens" TV show, all you had to do was sit next to the correct drunk girl at a north campus area bar 40 years ago to be told "there's Martians at Wright-Patt!" ***

*** And the girl had to be the daughter of a scary looking trench coat wearing big-shot at Wright Patterson AFB near Dayton Ohio to pull it off. Alcohol can be quite the truth serum.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

MrMemorial wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:57 pm...If the minimum wage did rise in step with productivity growth since 1968 it would be over $24 an hour today.
If the minimum wage had been increased ONLY by the percentage Congress has raised its own salaries over 50 years, it would also be somewhere around there. I could not find an exact figure.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:21 pm...all you had to do was sit next to the correct drunk girl at a north campus area bar...
I think that's the goal of every "red-blooded American man" (George Plaster lingo for callers... well, except for "man")
cjdore
Fleet Admiral

Post by cjdore »

13th Amendment:
Section 1....Neither Slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction. Section 2....Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

I do not get the link to this amendment either
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

To stay within form rules and not start a political debate, I'll keep this really short and then drop it.

A person shouldn't have to work 80 hours a week to simply pay rent and buy a bag of groceries. And still be broke after that.

End of non-rant.
Locked Previous topicNext topic