Nesmith on ESPN right now

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

Nesmith on ESPN right now

Post by commadore »

So far 2-2 from three. Celtics up 12-2. One Vanderbilt/Stackhouse mention already.

commadore
Admiral

Re: Nesmith on ESPN right now

Post by commadore »

Celtics give up the lead and trail 44-36 at the half. Nesmith with 8 on 3-4 shootig. However, Nesmith still can't dribble the ball and his defense is suspect. Has three TO at the half. Celtics team has 14 and thus the deficit. Celtics in Dire need of a big man.

Announcers talking about the MVP of the summer league and one of them picked Saben Lee.

Stackhouse with several mentions.
Last edited by commadore on Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

commadore wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:54 pm Celtics give up the lead and trail 44-36 at the half. Nesmith with 8 on 3-4 shootig. However, Nesmith still can't dribble the ball and his defense is suspect. Has three TO at the half. Celtics team has 14 and thus the deficit. Celtics in Dire need of a big man.

Announcers talking about the MVP of the summer league and one of them picked Saben Lee.

I am so pleased to see Saben doing so well. As a college player he had a unique mix of strengths and weaknesses and as exciting as he was to watch in a Vanderbilt uniform it was not easy to imagine him in the NBA. It looks like his strengths are for real, and he has improved on his weaknesses.

A great shooter who is iffy on defense - dating myself but do you think Nesmith's ceiling is the kind of role Steve Kerr had with the Bulls? Or is he a potential starter if he fits with all the other pieces around him?

It seems like defense is more difficult to improve on than other areas of the game... I can certainly think of players not initially known for long range shooting who were able to improve on this - Saben is one, and Jeff Roberson also springs to mind.
But at the moment I cannot think of a player who started out iffy on defense, and went on to be an above average defender. Maybe some raw big men like Festus fit that mold, but otherwise I can't think of any.
Please tell me I'm wrong - if for no other reason than I'd like to see Miles Stute be able to stay on the court.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

alathIN wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:52 am
commadore wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:54 pm Celtics give up the lead and trail 44-36 at the half. Nesmith with 8 on 3-4 shootig. However, Nesmith still can't dribble the ball and his defense is suspect. Has three TO at the half. Celtics team has 14 and thus the deficit. Celtics in Dire need of a big man.

I am so pleased to see Saben doing so well. As a college player he had a unique mix of strengths and weaknesses and as exciting as he was to watch in a Vanderbilt uniform it was not easy to imagine him in the NBA. It looks like his strengths are for real, and he has improved on his weaknesses.

A great shooter who is iffy on defense - dating myself but do you think Nesmith's ceiling is the kind of role Steve Kerr had with the Bulls? Or is he a potential starter if he fits with all the other pieces around him?

It seems like defense is more difficult to improve on than other areas of the game... I can certainly think of players not initially known for long range shooting who were able to improve on this - Saben is one, and Jeff Roberson also springs to mind.
But at the moment I cannot think of a player who started out iffy on defense, and went on to be an above average defender. Maybe some raw big men like Festus fit that mold, but otherwise I can't think of any.
Please tell me I'm wrong - if for no other reason than I'd like to see Miles Stute be able to stay on the court.
Pretty much I think he will be a Steve Kerr type player if, and only if, the guys he played with last night are not the main guys on the team. Those guys never saw a shot they didn't like. Nesmith would be standing alone in the wing and someone would drive the lane (or try to) and either lose the ball or throw up a horrible contested shot that never got close. Before I turned it off in the 3rd, I saw 6-7 times where he had no one within 15 feet of him and someone tried to drive the lane. But if he can get on a team with the drive and dish mentality, he can be lethal.
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

alathIN wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:52 am

Jeff Roberson shot 45% as a freshman and 43% as a sophomore from three. Perhaps you were thinking of Jermaine Beal? Overall I agree with your point - shooting is a skill, which can be improved with practice, while a lot of defense is related to raw athleticism, each individual has a natural ceiling. Players can overcome physical disadvantages by using positioning and experience, but cannot greatly improve their quickness, jumping ability and have no control over their height and wingspan.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Aaron spent most of his time waiting in the corner for a pass that rarely went his way. I suppose that was what the coach told him to do.
Locked Previous topicNext topic