New non-conference opponent: Pitt

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

New non-conference opponent: Pitt

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

I presume this was part of the Kevin Stallings trade...

[tweet][/tweet]

pittsburghdore
Seaman

Re: New non-conference opponent: Pitt

Post by pittsburghdore »

As someone who recently moved to Pittsburgh, I certainly recommend making the trip. Pittsburgh really flies under the radar when one thinks of great cities of America. A beautiful downtown, and you really can't beat the restaurant scene. Lots of museums and things kids would enjoy if you have a family. It is a very difficult city to drive in, but there's Lyft and Uber of course. It's also an intriguing matchup between two programs who have been down for awhile, have a pretty respectable past, and are hopefully on the upswing.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

pittsburghdore wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:32 pm As someone who recently moved to Pittsburgh, I certainly recommend making the trip. Pittsburgh really flies under the radar when one thinks of great cities of America. A beautiful downtown, and you really can't beat the restaurant scene. Lots of museums and things kids would enjoy if you have a family. It is a very difficult city to drive in, but there's Lyft and Uber of course. It's also an intriguing matchup between two programs who have been down for awhile, have a pretty respectable past, and are hopefully on the upswing.
Was there several years ago on a business trip. Had one of the best times I have ever had on a trip. Great city.
cc11316
Rear Admiral

Post by cc11316 »

I'm not sure that I can watch a VU-Pitt game without Jerome Lane and Barry Goheen. It seems like just .... a couple of years ago. :lol:
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

commadore wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:21 am
pittsburghdore wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:32 pm As someone who recently moved to Pittsburgh, I certainly recommend making the trip. Pittsburgh really flies under the radar when one thinks of great cities of America. A beautiful downtown, and you really can't beat the restaurant scene. Lots of museums and things kids would enjoy if you have a family. It is a very difficult city to drive in, but there's Lyft and Uber of course. It's also an intriguing matchup between two programs who have been down for awhile, have a pretty respectable past, and are hopefully on the upswing.
Was there several years ago on a business trip. Had one of the best times I have ever had on a trip. Great city.
Agreed. It's quite beautiful and the restaurants are good. The Carnegie Museums are great and the Warhol Museum (which is small for an art museum but huge when you consider it's devoted to a single artist) is well worth the trip.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

I found the people to be quite friendly as well. Beautiful city.
Golddore68
Admiral

Post by Golddore68 »

They have a great children’s museum. Most of it is devoted to Mister Rogers, who was from Pittsburgh. They have sweaters he wore and puppets he used. There is also a really neat incline train that takes you to the top of a hill. It reminded me of Gatlinburg. From the top of the hill you get a fantastic view of Pittsburgh, Pirates baseball field and the Steelers football field. Also I used Priceline when I was in Pittsburgh and got a 5-star hotel room for less than $100 a night. It was one of those deals where they didn’t reveal the hotel name until you booked it.
vandydrew
Ensign

Post by vandydrew »

Glad to see my fellow vandymaniacs support my new hometown. The first person I met on the plane summed it up so well. "It's a very cosmopolitan city, and at the same time anybody could do well here." I think you would be glad if you made the trip!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

Golddore68 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:46 pm They have a great children’s museum. Most of it is devoted to Mister Rogers, who was from Pittsburgh. They have sweaters he wore and puppets he used. There is also a really neat incline train that takes you to the top of a hill. It reminded me of Gatlinburg. From the top of the hill you get a fantastic view of Pittsburgh, Pirates baseball field and the Steelers football field. Also I used Priceline when I was in Pittsburgh and got a 5-star hotel room for less than $100 a night. It was one of those deals where they didn’t reveal the hotel name until you booked it.
That could not have been this summer as hotels everywhere have been in full price gouging mode.

Obviously this is a hoops forum, not a travel chat, but there is no general discussion non-sports forum.
Locked Previous topicNext topic