Game One Starters?

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

underdog74
Vice Admiral

Game One Starters?

Post by underdog74 »

G SPJr
G Rodney Chatman
G/F Jordan Wright
F Myles Stute or Terren Frank
C Liam Robbins

Thoughts?

geeznotagain
Admiral

Re: Game One Starters?

Post by geeznotagain »

That line-up has some holes, likely unfillable from the current roster. I don’t feel that’s an NCAA tourney bound group, but should be better than last year. Disu would have made us much better. Is there such a thing as a transfer reversal portal?
Jason94
Admiral

Post by Jason94 »

underdog74 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:13 am G SPJr
G Rodney Chatman
G/F Jordan Wright
C Liam Robbins

Thoughts?
I would assume Stute over Frank at this moment, unless there is something I am missing with Frank, who played sparingly outside of 4 games and rebounded the ball like Scottie Pippen (not the NBA HOF'er, like a PG). Stute has to develop the ability to score inside the arc, but his three point shooting should get better, and played consistent minutes last season.

Both have the chance of being unseated by mid-season by one of the freshmen IMO, or even by a Lawrence and moving Wright to the PF spot. I would guess barring a great improvement from last year by either Stute or Frank that one of Lawrence, Daniel or Dorsey will be starting by January.
VUaskew
Vice Admiral

Post by VUaskew »

Seem like for once CJS has a lot of weapons/options at his disposal! That alone makes me excited for the season.
Starkiller
Commander

Post by Starkiller »

As a longtime Vandy fan who still follows the team closely, I could never have imagined I’d ever see the day that I couldn’t even tell you who half the players on the team were. Yet here we are…
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:32 am
G Rodney Chatman
G/F Jordan Wright
C Liam Robbins

Thoughts?
I would assume Stute over Frank at this moment…

Both have the chance of being unseated by mid-season by one of the freshmen IMO, or even by a Lawrence and moving Wright to the PF spot. I would guess barring a great improvement from last year by either Stute or Frank that one of Lawrence, Daniel or Dorsey will be starting by January.
My sentiments as well, though wouldn’t be surprised to see Shane Dezonie starting over those 3 by mid-season. Only problem there might be that he is needed as more of a backup to Pippen/Chatman, but he’s the highest rated recruit since the Garland/Nesmith class and apparently a plus defender. He’s also listed as slightly bigger than Tyrin Lawrence, who will also still be coming back from the ACL injury (though hopefully back in shape by then).
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

I would like to see big strides of improvement from Stute & Lawrence. Dezonie will play a lot I believe and maybe move into a starting position sometimes. Lots of choices for CJS to work with. Excited to have Scotty back!!
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
dore74
Vice Admiral

Post by dore74 »

I think that Stack has shown he can coach ‘em up pretty well. I’m interested haw he puts these guys together. It will be interesting to see how it starts out and how it finishes up. So many new personalities and larger roles for kids who were on the team last year. With SPJr on the squad I’m pretty optimistic
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Jason94 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:32 am
G Rodney Chatman
G/F Jordan Wright
C Liam Robbins

Thoughts?
I would assume Stute over Frank at this moment, unless there is something I am missing with Frank, who played sparingly outside of 4 games and rebounded the ball like Scottie Pippen (not the NBA HOF'er, like a PG). Stute has to develop the ability to score inside the arc, but his three point shooting should get better, and played consistent minutes last season.

Stute is a question mark. He had a couple of games of excellent 3 point shooting - but was a liability on defense - then his shooting went off and he sat.
I don't think he's ever going to be a superstar defender/rebounder but if the shooting comes back and he can just get to capable/competent/in position for the other aspects of his game, his net contribution could be good.

I thought I remembered reading some plausible reason Frank's freshman season was underwhelming... inujry? Ill-timed covid infection? So maybe we are missing something.

Overall I think the roster is better and deeper. Losing Disu hurts, but gained a legit power 5 center and a bunch of 2/3 types who should be good and could be really good (Lawrence, Daniels, Chatman - and I would not count out Trey Thomas upping his game).

If just one of Dorsey, Stute, Frank, or Mann turns out to be a pleasant surprise I think NCAA bubble or an NIT run would be within the range of plausibility.

Whatever the W-L next season, it will certainly be better with Pippen and I think it could be a real boost to the Stackhouse tenure. 2022 and beyond looks potentially good - but without Pippen it's easy to imagine all these pieces not fitting quite right in 2021 and facing another lackluster season in the doldrums. Pippen coming back I think guarantees next season will be better than last (how much better an open question). A sense of forward momentum is probably the #1 need of the program right now and I think Pippen's return makes that a lot more likely.
alabamacommodore
Ensign

Post by alabamacommodore »

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jordan Wight starts at the 4 spot.
Gambit
Ensign

Post by Gambit »

alabamacommodore wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:17 pm I wouldn’t be surprised if Jordan Wight starts at the 4 spot.
I kinda like this too. Having seen so few of our players actually play, my based-on-nothing-except-my-own-gut prediction for who will get the lions share of minutes by mid season:

PG: Pippen
SG: Dezonie
G/F: Dorsey
F: Jordan Wright
C: Robbins

I would expect Lawrence and Chatman to get substantial minutes backing up Pippen, Dezonie and Dorsey. Stute could fill in for Dorsey and Wright. Who will back up Robbins ? Did QMB return? I know nothing about Frank. I hope there are minutes for Trey Thomas because I like his motor. I feel like he’s the odd man out in the backcourt.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

Gambit wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:21 am
alabamacommodore wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:17 pm I wouldn’t be surprised if Jordan Wight starts at the 4 spot.
I kinda like this too. Having seen so few of our players actually play, my based-on-nothing-except-my-own-gut prediction for who will get the lions share of minutes by mid season:

PG: Pippen
SG: Dezonie
G/F: Dorsey
F: Jordan Wright
C: Robbins

I would expect Lawrence and Chatman to get substantial minutes backing up Pippen, Dezonie and Dorsey. Stute could fill in for Dorsey and Wright. Who will back up Robbins ? Did QMB return? I know nothing about Frank. I hope there are minutes for Trey Thomas because I like his motor. I feel like he’s the odd man out in the backcourt.

Why is Dezonie not currently listed on the roster at vucommodores.com? Why would no one think that Chatman, who started for a 29 win team, might just be good enough to start for a team that struggled to get double digit wins? 247 says Dezonie is enrolled, but he is the only one of this group not shown on the roster.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

commadore wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:20 am Why would no one think that Chatman, who started for a 29 win team, might just be good enough to start for a team that struggled to get double digit wins?
Many of us on this thread had Chatman as a starter.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:09 am
commadore wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:20 am Why would no one think that Chatman, who started for a 29 win team, might just be good enough to start for a team that struggled to get double digit wins?
Guess I should have said "why would YOU" instead of why would nobody. No you, but the other guy. Seems to me Chatman should be a no brainer, unless the 29-2 team only had 4 good players (and that seems really unlikely).
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

I kind of like adding Wright (and maybe Mann) as possible 4's. Both would be undersized at that spot but distributing talent into an area of need makes sense and there does seem to be some promise in the 2-3 pool.

1: Pippen
2 and 3: Some combination of Chatman, Thomas, Dezonie, Lawrence, Daniels.
4: Some combination of Wright, Dorsey, Stute, Frank, Mann
5: Robbins

Pessimistic: "some combination of" means at least one player from the 2-3 group and one player from the 4 group has to step up and be a legit SEC starter, and at least one other from each group has to be a quality SEC backup.
I'd say that Wright, Thomas, and Chatman have all shown enough that they are at least quality SEC backups - but in order to be a good team we would need 2-4 players to prove something they haven't definitively proven before.
Needing 2-4 players to rise beyond previous performance (or come in as game-ready freshmen in the case of Payton and Daniels) is not an odds-on bet.

Optimistic: there is some talent in that group of unprovens. Even if they are inconsistent or perform "by committee," this should be a better balanced and deeper team than last season.
alabamacommodore
Ensign

Post by alabamacommodore »

Regarding starters, I feel pretty good with Pippen, Chatman, Wright, and Robbins. I think Wright is ready for 30 minutes per night rotating between the 3 & 4. He is a good rebounder, and I think he can hold his own defensively at the 4 and create some quickness matchup issues offensively there. We're a little guard heavy so someone will have to slide down to the 4 unless Frank and/or Stute really emerge this year.

I think the main question will be who will be the 5th starter. It could be a number of guys, but my best guess is Dezonie or Lawrence. In my opinion, we need a shooter/secondary scorer on that sport with Chatman & Wright being glue guys more so than scorers. Dorsey could be a sleeper for this spot if his shot lives up to its billing.

What's exciting is that we actually have some upper classmen this year. Two juniors and two grad transfers in the starting lineup sounds really good!
Nashmann
Admiral

Post by Nashmann »

Dezonie & Mann are the two not listed on the commodore site.
Last edited by Nashmann on Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD
Gambit
Ensign

Post by Gambit »

commadore wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:35 am
UltimateVUFan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:09 am
Guess I should have said "why would YOU" instead of why would nobody. No you, but the other guy. Seems to me Chatman should be a no brainer, unless the 29-2 team only had 4 good players (and that seems really unlikely).
That was me. My thinking is that while Chatman is probably the better player right now, and maybe still will be mid season, if it’s close or just a matter of experience vs inexperience, I’d bet CJS would give younger player with more upside more minutes over a 6-1 grad transfer. I would if I were a HC trying to build a nucleus to win for 2 or 3 years in a row. That may be hard to do in these transfer portal days.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

alathIN wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:00 pm
That's 12 of the 13 scholarship players. I take it you don't think much of Millora-Brown.

We don't have much height on the team. I believe QMB could contribute 10 good minutes per game. But take him out in crunch time; he is a terrible free throw shooter: Career 42.9%
alathIN
Rear Admiral

Post by alathIN »

Versus75 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:11 pm
alathIN wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:00 pm
That's 12 of the 13 scholarship players. I take it you don't think much of Millora-Brown.

We don't have much height on the team. I believe QMB could contribute 10 good minutes per game. But take him out in crunch time; he is a terrible free throw shooter: Career 42.9%
I'm sort of thinking in terms of major contributors.
Robbins will obviously need backup and I would certainly hope for some quality minutes from QMB. But I don't expect QMB to be, for example, among the top 5 scorers on the team.
Locked Previous topicNext topic