Transfer Portal Closed as of July 1? - Pippen, Jr implications

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

dorepleganger
Rear Admiral

Transfer Portal Closed as of July 1? - Pippen, Jr implications

Post by dorepleganger »

I read that the transfer portal is now closed - July 1 was the closure date.

To my knowledge, Pippen, Jr. did not enter the transfer portal, correct?

He is still in the draft; however if he withdraws from the draft, or goes undrafted and has not hired an agent, this means he could return to Vanderbilt, barring him signing to play in the G-League, Europe, or Australia, right?

Any insight or corrections are appreciated.

Vandamnit
Commander

Re: Transfer Portal Closed as of July 1? - Pippen, Jr implications

Post by Vandamnit »

It is supposed to close on July 1st, but not sure if that means 11:59pm tonight or if it is already closed. I'll be watching this space.
dorepleganger
Rear Admiral

Post by dorepleganger »

Vandamnit wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:43 pm It is supposed to close on July 1st, but not sure if that means 11:59pm tonight or if it is already closed. I'll be watching this space.
Based on this article, I thought the transfer portal closed as of July 1.

However, based on this article, I believe you are correct that it means that the transfer portal closes after July 1, given that Kofi Cockburn entered his name in the transfer portal today - July 1.
Vandamnit
Commander

Post by Vandamnit »

Not seeing Pippen's name on the list as of this AM.
https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2021
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

I don’t even see his name on the list as in the portal but has not transferred.

Sure would be nice if we could sort that list by Old/New school.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Versus75 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:04 am I don’t even see his name on the list as in the portal but has not transferred.

He never entered the transfer portal. I’ve been saying all along that nothing he ever said indicated intent to transfer.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:53 am
Versus75 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:04 am I don’t even see his name on the list as in the portal but has not transferred.

He never entered the transfer portal. I’ve been saying all along that nothing he ever said indicated intent to transfer.
Yep. I brought this up last week. I don't know how anybody read a desire to transfer into that statement. It was a goodbye, admittedly, but for the start of his career and not for someplace else. So I've said all along that I don't see him transferring. The question is whether he's going to stay professional or come back. We'll find out on July 7th, which is the NCAA's deadline to withdraw your name from the list of NBA draft entrants.

FWIW, he seems to have done quite well in the G-League combine, but not enough to get an invitation to the NBA combine. That's why you haven't seen any measurements of him, for instance. So the NBA itself sees him as unlikely to be drafted. But if he feels that the G-League--or perhaps the Australian league or Europe--will better prepare him for a professional career, then I can see him staying professional. Personally I think he'd do better to play against SEC players in practice and in games, especially since it's clear that NBA execs watch an awful lot of NCAA basketball. If they didn't, international players like Alperin Sengun or Josh Giddey would be likely to be drafted much higher than guys like Davion Mitchell (likely a Patrick Beverley or Tony Allen play-alike) or Corey Kispert (Doug McDermott Jr.) that starred in the NCAA tournament. (And nobody would be returning calls from Johnny Juzang's agent, much less considering drafting him.) So developing under CJS's tutelage and making a run at SEC POY would be a lot more likely to get him drafted than dominating the much tougher Adriatic League, like Sengun has been doing.

Obviously, though, these are Scottie's dreams we're talking about, so I hope he does well no matter which path he chooses. ( AD* )
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

You know how everybody on here is anti-N.I.L. $$ for college athletes?

Is there some talk around town that it might be the key to getting Pippen back for another season? Or did I simply imagine I heard something like that when a little bird flew by the window? Ya know, like rumors.
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

MrMemorial wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:19 pm Is there some talk around town that it might be the key to getting Pippen back for another season? Or did I simply imagine I heard something like that when a little bird flew by the window? Ya know, like rumors.
Well...this is certainly encouraging:
nyyankeeDore
Captain

Post by nyyankeeDore »

AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:36 pm
MrMemorial wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:19 pm Is there some talk around town that it might be the key to getting Pippen back for another season? Or did I simply imagine I heard something like that when a little bird flew by the window? Ya know, like rumors.
Capitalism has its advantages.
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#
Doreknox
Admiral

Post by Doreknox »

Until he officially says so, I don't believe Pippen will be back. He could play overseas or in the G League.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Doreknox wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:53 pm Until he officially says so, I don't believe Pippen will be back. He could play overseas or in the G League.
Fair enough, and you may be correct. However, it seems odd that he would post that statement on his Instagram unless he was currently leaning towards staying in the NCAA. He wouldn’t have to worry about potential “local” endorsements/promo deals in Euro or G Leagues, because he wouldn’t be likely to get them. You are obviously right that we shouldn’t count our chicks yet, but all of this has me reasonably optimistic.
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:06 am
Doreknox wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:53 pm Until he officially says so, I don't believe Pippen will be back. He could play overseas or in the G League.
Fair enough, and you may be correct. However, it seems odd that he would post that statement on his Instagram unless he was currently leaning towards staying in the NCAA. He wouldn’t have to worry about potential “local” endorsements/promo deals in Euro or G Leagues, because he wouldn’t be likely to get them. You are obviously right that we shouldn’t count our chicks yet, but all of this has me reasonably optimistic.
I was on the fence before yesterday. Maybe 50-50 on this at best.

With the new developments, I'm going 80-20 that he's back. Not 100% but certainly looks better now.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:57 pm
AuricGoldfinger wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:36 pm
Capitalism has its advantages.
Somebody PLEASE, give this man a contract to represent them!
MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

commadore wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:26 am
How about this...

The all-new Scotty Pippen by VandyMania(TM)
Then Don has to send every poster a poster of Pippen and pay him for the N-I-L rights. I think it's a great idea. As long as I can get extra posters for my nieces and nephews.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:44 am
commadore wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:26 am
How about this...

The all-new Scotty Pippen by VandyMania(TM)
Then Don has to send every poster a poster of Pippen and pay him for the N-I-L rights. I think it's a great idea. As long as I can get extra posters for my nieces and nephews.
Lol. I’d gladly chip in a few bucks for a poster. All proceeds to Scotty.
Go Vandy!
Rear Admiral

Post by Go Vandy! »

MrMemorial wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:44 am...As long as I can get extra posters for my nieces and nephews.
And i get an extra for my cat. He's a BIG Pippen Jr. fan.
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

Imagine how much money Scotty will lose if he turns pro.
:lol:

But seriously, when you offer these deals make it contingent upon Scotty still being a Vanderbilt Men’s Basketball player.

Surely, his NIL is worth more than that of UK reserve Dontaie Allen.
https://theplayerstrunk.com/collections ... lens-trunk
geeznotagain
Admiral

Post by geeznotagain »

Versus75 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:08 pm Imagine how much money Scotty will lose if he turns pro.
:lol:

But seriously, when you offer these deals make it contingent upon Scotty still being a Vanderbilt Men’s Basketball player.

Surely, his NIL is worth more than that of UK reserve Dontaie Allen.
https://theplayerstrunk.com/collections ... lens-trunk

I clicked on the link you provided. The merchandise? OK. But $80 for a zoom call? Opens a new dimension on the term "whoring".
Versus75
Admiral

Post by Versus75 »

geeznotagain wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:44 pm
I clicked on the link you provided. The merchandise? OK. But $80 for a zoom call? Opens a new dimension on the term "whoring".
But ... it's a TEN- to FIFTEEN-MINUTE Zoom call. You could get 15 of your Wildcats fan friends together and each chip in five bucks.

OR ... for only $40 you could go to a UK game, get there early, and say "Hello" to Dontaie as he runs onto the court. If you want an autograph after the game, however, it's gonna cost you.
Locked Previous topicNext topic