New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

VUPKS
Rear Admiral

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by VUPKS »

Last years Frosh were not great. Jury is out this year. This particular transfer is meh, let's see how it goes. Dort and Shelby are another story - getting them signed and in a VU uniform is definitely exciting.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Post by MrMemorial »

VUaskew wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:52 pm
Not sure about this lazy recruiting being talked about....
Lazy coaching is when a guy grins and claps his way to 20 losses in a row.

But somebody still loves that guy. Obviously.
VandyManners
Lieutenant

Post by VandyManners »

nyyankeeDore wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:58 pm
pittsburghdore wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:11 pm I'd certainly take another Lawson, McCaffrey, or Byars. I'd really be happy with a Nelter. ("Neltner's winning!" when he was outscoring Kentucky all by himself! at one point in that game.)
Another Nolan Cressler result would be alright.
Or Bruce Elder...
dallasdore
Vice Admiral

Post by dallasdore »

pittsburghdore wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:11 pm I'd certainly take another Lawson, McCaffrey, or Byars. I'd really be happy with a Nelter. ("Neltner's winning!" when he was outscoring Kentucky all by himself! at one point in that game.)
THIS! ^^^

All were outstanding players for us. In my opinion, McCaffrey was the best player we've had in my lifetime.

I forgot Byars was a transfer. He was a machine, too.

And the chant of "Neltner's Winning" late in the first half when we were beating UK like a drum (score something like 30-18 and Ross had about 20 of our points... It was beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

BooMax wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:11 amSadly, I think JS has coaching skills but is not interested in competing in recruiting battles and thus simply just settles without attributing "fit".
Amigo, this narrative is getting weaker. We got Pippen back and coach has surrounded him with some basketball players. The last couple of commits are quality. He added some coaching to his staff. It's hard for me to poo-poo coach and his efforts. He's acting like a guy that had a reality check and adjusted. We'll see. I suspect it'll take a few games to get things going, but then we should be competitive.

As for "fit", I'm still curious about that also. I don't see evidence of a preferred palette of players.
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral

Post by oakparkDore »

I’m going to again ask if we’re sure that Mann is on scholarship?
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

oakparkDore wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:34 am I’m going to again ask if we’re sure that Mann is on scholarship?
I’m positive Mann is on scholarship. I count 13 with Pippen coming back..Adelman is not on a basketball scholly. Someone said we were 1 over the limit, but I don’t believe that is accurate.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Ndorefin wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:16 pm
oakparkDore wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:34 am I’m going to again ask if we’re sure that Mann is on scholarship?
I’m positive Mann is on scholarship. I count 13 with Pippen coming back..Adelman is not on a basketball scholly. Someone said we were 1 over the limit, but I don’t believe that is accurate.
I believe the 13 are:
Lawrence
Pippen
Wright
Stute
Thomas
QMB
Chatman
Daniels
Dorsey
Frank
Robbins