Vanderbilt Fanatics Departments
Accessories Auto Gift Cards Collectibles Footwear Golf & Sports
Hats Home & Office Jackets Jerseys Lawn & Garden Pajamas
Pants Polos Shirts & Sweats Shorts Sweatshirts Swim & Beach
T-Shirts Tailgate Baseball Basketball Football Everything
VandyMania is a proud Fanatics affiliate. Help us earn commisions (8%) buy purchasing Vandy gear.

New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit, kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold

User avatar
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 14187
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:29 pm
x 631
Contact:

New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by AuricGoldfinger » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:25 pm

Well, this is unexpected. He averaged 6.8 ppg and 5.3 rbs per game as a freshman at Gardner-Webb. He's a big body at 6-6 225 lbs, however.

https://gwusports.com/sports/mens-baske ... -mann/7340
2 x



VUaskew
Rear Admiral
Posts: 2341
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:43 pm
x 120
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by VUaskew » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Heck, why not?

Can't coach 6'6 225 toughness. Plus he has three years.
0 x

User avatar
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 14187
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:29 pm
x 631
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by AuricGoldfinger » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:47 pm

Incidentally, this is the last open scholarship (not counting Pippen's if he departs for other pastures).
0 x

User avatar
Nashmann
Admiral
Posts: 8309
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:36 am
Location: Nashville
x 324
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by Nashmann » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:55 pm

This will be a great addition. Good size body and 3 years to develop......if he is scholarship, Patterson must be a walk-on then, if they are still holding Pippen's place. Not looking good for his return which he really needs to.
0 x
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD

UltimateVUFan
Rear Admiral
Posts: 1855
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:25 am
x 330
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by UltimateVUFan » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:03 pm

This one gives me pause. I remember his brother being a strong competitor at UGA, but Jamaine’s recruiting situation sounded very strange. He was apparently highly regarded early but steadily slipped in the rankings and was only offered by Gardner-Webb. I find his quotes regarding the recruiting process and his approach to the game in this interview to be very peculiar.
https://247sports.com/Article/2020-gua ... 111705113/

Edit: Dug into Mann’s stats. Granted, he was a true freshman, but the level of competition wasn’t exactly fierce. His 3P% (30.8) is not what one hopes to see from a SG, especially when he only attempted 0.5 per game, and his FT% at 55.4 was abysmal. He was also very foul-prone. Again, I recognize the intangibles in body size and potential upside, but this sure looks like a reach for depth to me, especially considering how many big names VU is after and in on early in the 2022 recruiting class.
I hate to say it, but as someone who has remained optimistic about the potential for Pippen’s return next year, this addition so close to the transfer portal/draft withdrawal deadline seems a bad omen in that regard. Hope I’m totally wrong about both that and what Mann brings to the table...
2 x

alathIN
Rear Admiral
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:35 pm
x 436
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by alathIN » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:54 am

UltimateVUFan wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:03 pm
This one gives me pause. I remember his brother being a strong competitor at UGA, but Jamaine’s recruiting situation sounded very strange. He was apparently highly regarded early but steadily slipped in the rankings and was only offered by Gardner-Webb. I find his quotes regarding the recruiting process and his approach to the game in this interview to be very peculiar.
https://247sports.com/Article/2020-gua ... 111705113/

Edit: Dug into Mann’s stats. Granted, he was a true freshman, but the level of competition wasn’t exactly fierce. His 3P% (30.8) is not what one hopes to see from a SG, especially when he only attempted 0.5 per game, and his FT% at 55.4 was abysmal. He was also very foul-prone. Again, I recognize the intangibles in body size and potential upside, but this sure looks like a reach for depth to me, especially considering how many big names VU is after and in on early in the 2022 recruiting class.
I hate to say it, but as someone who has remained optimistic about the potential for Pippen’s return next year, this addition so close to the transfer portal/draft withdrawal deadline seems a bad omen in that regard. Hope I’m totally wrong about both that and what Mann brings to the table...
I had some of the same questions.
He did have some really good games and was conference player of the week at least once - but his stats in those games sounded like big man numbers. One of them was something like 12 points 12 rebounds 6 assists (ish, dont hold me to that exactly).
Which sounds like a big strong guy with a nose for the ball and high basketball IQ.
But I wondered how that would translate to a league where 6'6" 225 is not exceptionally big or tall.

Now for the gold-tinted optimistic thoughts:
1. This was also Jordan Wright's profile and he has turned out to be a very valuable all-around player under Stackhouse.
2. Charles Barkley is another guy who, on paper, was not tall enough to play the game he played. Strength, nose for the ball, hard work, and hoops IQ can go a long way.

I feel better about this transfer if I quit thinking of him as a shooting guard.
1 x

VUaskew
Rear Admiral
Posts: 2341
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:43 pm
x 120
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by VUaskew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:59 pm

Considering all the transfers we've had that were somewhat busts, aren't we due a good one?
1 x

User avatar
AuricGoldfinger
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 14187
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:29 pm
x 631
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by AuricGoldfinger » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:33 pm

VUaskew wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:59 pm
Considering all the transfers we've had that were somewhat busts, aren't we due a good one?
Or total busts, for that matter.
1 x

pittsburghdore
Seaman Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:08 pm
x 1
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by pittsburghdore » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:11 pm

I'd certainly take another Lawson, McCaffrey, or Byars. I'd really be happy with a Nelter. ("Neltner's winning!" when he was outscoring Kentucky all by himself! at one point in that game.)
0 x

nyyankeeDore
Commander
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:20 am
Location: Nashville
x 67
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by nyyankeeDore » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:58 pm

pittsburghdore wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:11 pm
I'd certainly take another Lawson, McCaffrey, or Byars. I'd really be happy with a Nelter. ("Neltner's winning!" when he was outscoring Kentucky all by himself! at one point in that game.)
Another Nolan Cressler result would be alright.
0 x
'23 '27 '28 '32 '36 '37 '38 '39 '41
'43 '47 '49 '50 '51 '52 '53 '56 '58
'61 '62 '77 '78' '96 '98 '99 '00 '09
VU#

User avatar
Nashmann
Admiral
Posts: 8309
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:36 am
Location: Nashville
x 324
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by Nashmann » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:50 pm

Dezonie & Mann last two (but not on the current list) yet guess not signed LOI yet. Patterson is on next year's list with Dort & Shelby.
0 x
"I have not yet begun to fight!" ....John Paul Jones AD* AD* @GAD @AD

dbrandon1
Seaman Recruit
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:26 pm
x 1
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by dbrandon1 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Someone has already mentioned a parallel to Jordan Wright. He also has a similar body type to Jeff Roberson and Cory Smith. All three have been productive players.
1 x

User avatar
Versus75
Admiral
Posts: 6705
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:19 pm
x 249
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by Versus75 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:14 pm

UltimateVUFan wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:03 pm

His 3P% (30.8) is not what one hopes to see from a SG, especially when he only attempted 0.5 per game, and his FT% at 55.4 was abysmal.
Agree on the FT% being abysmal, but we’ve had worse.

As for 3-PT%, the sample size is so small (13attempts) to be deceiving. Had ONE more dropped, Mann would be at 38.5% and you would be shouting from the rooftops.

I’m more impressed with the 54% 2-PT shooting.
1 x

Jason94
Admiral
Posts: 5219
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:15 am
x 156
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by Jason94 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:38 am

Versus75 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:14 pm
UltimateVUFan wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:03 pm

His 3P% (30.8) is not what one hopes to see from a SG, especially when he only attempted 0.5 per game, and his FT% at 55.4 was abysmal.
Agree on the FT% being abysmal, but we’ve had worse.

As for 3-PT%, the sample size is so small (13attempts) to be deceiving. Had ONE more dropped, Mann would be at 38.5% and you would be shouting from the rooftops.

I’m more impressed with the 54% 2-PT shooting.
Based on his stats, this guy is a undersized power forward, not a wing player. His rebounding numbers are nice, especially his offensive rebounding rate, and he play inside and draws fouls like an post player.

That said, a vast majority of his numbers came against very weak competition, so that has to be taken into consideration. I'd think that his first year here could look a whole lot like his freshman year, and if it did it would represent a large jump due to the significant increase in strength of schedule he would be facing.
1 x

MrMemorial
Lieutenant
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:37 pm
x 69
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by MrMemorial » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:28 pm

Free throw bricks?

Simple solution. Keep him on the bench if we're up 1 with the ball and 30 seconds left.
0 x

LawoftheWest
Rear Admiral
Posts: 2366
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:37 pm
x 144
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by LawoftheWest » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:26 am

I am not a basketball expert. However, I do trust our coach, and his evaluation of talent. I believe he knows what he is doing. He has seen something in Mann that is not obvious on paper. I expect that in one or two years we will be wondering what we have missed in our evaluation on this board.
0 x

BooMax
Lieutenant
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:12 pm
x 47
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by BooMax » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:11 am

sure seems like a continuation of signing low end recruiting acceptances that doesnt take much effort from lazy recruiting efforts of a HC! Simply, that is the recruiting of Stackhouse

Sadly, I think JS has coaching skills but is not interested in competing in recruiting battles and thus simply just settles without attributing "fit". JHMO of 3rd year of lazy recruiting
0 x

commadore
Admiral
Posts: 6845
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:29 pm
x 813
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by commadore » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:23 am

BooMax wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:11 am
sure seems like a continuation of signing low end recruiting acceptances that doesnt take much effort from lazy recruiting efforts of a HC! Simply, that is the recruiting of Stackhouse

Sadly, I think JS has coaching skills but is not interested in competing in recruiting battles and thus simply just settles without attributing "fit". JHMO of 3rd year of lazy recruiting
Give it a rest bud. Dort and Shelby are not lazy recruiting. Neither are ANY of the transfers.
2 x

VUaskew
Rear Admiral
Posts: 2341
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:43 pm
x 120
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by VUaskew » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:52 pm

Huh?

Dort and Shelby are Top 100's for 2022

Dezonie and I believe Frank were top 100's for 2021 as transfers.

Daniels was top 125, Dorsey Top 150-ish.

Tyrin Lawrence hasn't shown what he's capable of yet. We've seen flashes out of Stute and Thomas.

Not sure about this lazy recruiting being talked about....
0 x

User avatar
oakparkDore
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2822
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:06 pm
x 224
Contact:

Re: New transfer: Jamaine Mann from Gardner-Webb

Post by oakparkDore » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:57 pm

Do we even know if Mann is transferring in as a scholarship player? Doesn’t seem impossible that he’s coming in as a PWO. Pretty sure that would change some opinions on here.
0 x

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic