NBA combine

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.

Moderators: kerrigjl, BrentVU, jfgogold, NateSY, KarenYates, Vandyman74, roanoke, VandyWhit

commadore
Admiral

NBA combine

Post by commadore »

Scotty Pippen is one of forty college players invited to this year's combine. Not good news for the home team.
Of course that still doesn't mean he will be drafted, but it sort of debunks all I have seen and heard that he isn't on any draft board.

MrMemorial
Rear Admiral

Re: NBA combine

Post by MrMemorial »

He's not on this list... and it's an important one...

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-announces- ... ft-combine
LawoftheWest
Vice Admiral

Post by LawoftheWest »

There are lots of extremely talented players declaring this year. I would be surprised if Pippen is high on the list. I like him as a good college player, but the competition is stiff. Another year of college may improve his ranking in a future draft. My understanding is that from the NBA viewpoint this is a year when the draft is loaded with great talent.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

commadore wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:29 pm Scotty Pippen is one of forty college players invited to this year's combine. Not good news for the home team.
Of course that still doesn't mean he will be drafted, but it sort of debunks all I have seen and heard that he isn't on any draft board.
Which list are you referencing/source? Not on the list of 69 Mr. Memorial posted.
Understand the concern obviously, but reiterating that I haven’t seen him sniffing any draft boards - like not even in the top 100+ prospects. The draft is loaded this year. Pippen would be very wise to return, and at this point I’m falling further into the mindset of ‘no news is good news’ because he is not getting any serious looks that I’ve seen, nor has the fear of him transferring materialized yet. He still has a spot on the roster and Stack has indicated that he’s in frequent communication with Pippen. I see little to worry about until anything is actually reported (especially since worrying about it accomplishes nothing).
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:03 am
commadore wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:29 pm Scotty Pippen is one of forty college players invited to this year's combine. Not good news for the home team.
Which list are you referencing/source? Not on the list of 69 Mr. Memorial posted.
Understand the concern obviously, but reiterating that I haven’t seen him sniffing any draft boards - like not even in the top 100+ prospects. The draft is loaded this year. Pippen would be very wise to return, and at this point I’m falling further into the mindset of ‘no news is good news’ because he is not getting any serious looks that I’ve seen, nor has the fear of him transferring materialized yet. He still has a spot on the roster and Stack has indicated that he’s in frequent communication with Pippen. I see little to worry about until anything is actually reported (especially since worrying about it accomplishes nothing).
You can look it up just as easily as I did. Google 2021 NBA combine list. You will see it.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

commadore wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:30 am
You can look it up just as easily as I did. Google 2021 NBA combine list. You will see it.
Actually, the reason I requested the source was all I’ve found is the same official list of 69 participants that Mr. Memorial posted. No Pippen.
buffy
Vice Admiral

Post by buffy »

He'll return, just not for us, I'm guessing. Which sucks.
charlestonalum
Fleet Admiral

Post by charlestonalum »

yes, his message implied he was leaving Vanderbilt for the pros or to some other college team.
UltimateVUFan
Vice Admiral

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Time will tell. If he intends to transfer the deadline for this year (one time waiver enacted by the NCAA) is July 1. We will know something in 2 weeks.
If he does transfer he’d be making a pretty short-sighted decision. He is the focal point scorer and distributor on a team with an expert talent developer who has clearly helped him improve his game. But kids don’t always make the best decisions.
vandy05
Vice Admiral

Post by vandy05 »

Pippen wasn't invited to the NBA combine. Perhaps the original poster saw Scottie Barnes from Florida State on the list and thought it was our guy. And yep, I'm still calling him our guy until further notice. I agree with the sentiment that no news is good news for our team. We're not hearing anything about him "moving up draft boards" or even rumors about him and another school.

I still maintain that players need to write statements that are crafted as if they are saying goodbye to their school. It let's the teams know they are serious about making the leap. If the teams think you're just testing the waters, I think that tepidness can hurt you in the process. I wouldn't put much into his statement and how it was crafted. I could be wrong (hopefully not), but I've long thought that he was always coming back.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

UltimateVUFan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:51 am
commadore wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:30 am

Actually, the reason I requested the source was all I’ve found is the same official list of 69 participants that Mr. Memorial posted. No Pippen.
I had saved the original list I'd seen, but when I click on it now, it has been "taken down for errors." Guess I will have my plate of crow, though I did originally see it...it was just wrong.
94Dore
Seaman

Post by 94Dore »

According to this, Pippen was one of 40 players invited to the NBA G League camp:

https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-leag ... n-chicago/
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

94Dore wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 pm According to this, Pippen was one of 40 players invited to the NBA G League camp:

Same guys I Saw, but they said it was the combine. Guess that was their error.
Surely he won't bolt for the G League.
I still say he didn't say he was leaving if he wasn't drafted.
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

I also still have no idea where you guys are getting the idea that he "implied" that he was leaving, whether he turned pro or not. I read the same statement as all of you and I don't see it. It seems more inferred than implied to me.

Personally I think the question of whether he has a camp invitation or not is beside the point. Scottie is not like other players. His dad's an insider, with former teammates and staffers from the Bulls, Blazers, and Rockets all over the league. (Michael Jordan owns the Hornets, Steve Kerr is the coach in Golden State, BJ Armstrong is a successful agent, etc....) Let's not forget that John Paxson is the guy who kept Scottie Sr. as a media rep for the Bulls until last year, when both were let go. (For that matter, Bryce Drew was one of his dad's teammates in Houston.) Scottie's dad is well connected in the NBA. So it's not like Scottie needs to "test the waters" to know whether he's capable of playing in the league or not. The question is whether someone wants to give him a roster spot. (And let's not forget that he compares pretty well with guys like Aaron Nesmith, Saben Lee, and Kenyon Martin Jr., who are all on NBA rosters.)

I think he could make a team, even a good one that needs cheap talent (e.g. teams that are really pushed up against the salary cap but don't have much depth, like the Lakers or Warriors). So I am a bit worried that he'll turn pro. But I'm not at all worried that he'll transfer to another school.
Ndorefin
Vice Admiral

Post by Ndorefin »

My guess is that Stack is being kept well informed as to Pippen’s status.
commadore
Admiral

Post by commadore »

If we sign another one, we will know for sure!
TwoSaints
Vice Admiral

Post by TwoSaints »

commadore wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:49 pm
94Dore wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 pm According to this, Pippen was one of 40 players invited to the NBA G League camp:

Same guys I Saw, but they said it was the combine. Guess that was their error.
Surely he won't bolt for the G League.
I still say he didn't say he was leaving if he wasn't drafted.
A lot of media sources seem to be referring to it as a "Combine", so I imagine it has caused quite a bit of confusion. Jonathan Givony wrote a bit about it in very long, informative column called "NBA draft 2021: What to expect at the NBA and G League draft combines":
G League Elite Camp

The NBA debuted the G League Elite Camp in 2019 as a secondary combine for lower-profile prospects looking to boost their stock in front of NBA executives and G League scouts. It ended up being a resounding success. Eleven of the 40 players received "call-ups" to the ensuing NBA combine, and five of the participants heard their names called in the second round of the draft. Sixteen of the 40 participants saw minutes in the NBA this past season, including the likes of Terance Mann, Terence Davis, Caleb and Cody Martin, Oshae Brissett, Tacko Fall and Max Strus, all of whom appear on the verge of carving out real NBA careers.

If 2019 is any indication, the 2021 camp will be very much worth scouting for NBA executives despite the fact that they'll be asked to show up two days early for a week of NBA combine activities that could see them spend as many as 10 days in Chicago. With the all-senior Portsmouth Invitational Tournament canceled this year, this event takes on added importance.
He then wrote more about specifically eight players that he thought would be the "most scrutinized" at the G League camp, but Scottie wasn't one of them.

Two significant things that I noticed from the essay: First, there were other players that were specifically mentioned as having both declared for the draft and put their names in the NCAA transfer portal. Marcus Bagley, for instance, was one of them. The fact that Scottie didn't put his name in the portal means, to me at least, that might be less likely to transfer than was originally thought. And since he hasn't signed with an agent yet, I still think there's a good chance he'll come back. (This draft is incredibly deep.) Second, the date to withdraw from the draft has been widely publicised as July 19th. But that's the NBA deadline. The NCAA deadline to withdraw is July 7th, so we'll know for sure by then at the very latest.
Locked Previous topicNext topic